ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

A few questions I can't find answers too...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DexterII
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: A few questions I can't find answers too... Reply with quote Back to top

I'm new to the GoldenEditor, and I just have a few questions that I've spent hours trying to figure out.

First, how to you assign a guard something to drop like a keycard? I've been messing around with the Facility level and can't find where the guard downstairs has the B clearance assigned along with the A clearance with the wizzing scientist. With that said I can't find an action block to check if you have those cards to allow the doors to be opened... or set the unlock bits... The samething basically where do you assign something to be in something like ammo in a crate when you destroy it. I have a feeling its simular to the guard this but I dunno....

Second I notice the scientists at the terminals loop an animation to make it look like they are typing.. I can't find that in any of the action blocks, especially the one assigning them all the other scientist traits (ex. to surrender and run to the present where they dissapear).

Third what does masking do in the action blocks?

Four when I add a piece of glass I can see it in the editor but when I play the map it doesn't exist... wtf?!? It has the same bit settings as all the other existing pieces I dont get it...

Fifth although this may not be correctable but I have to use the zlib to compress the maps because I'm using Windows XP x64 and the gzip executable is only for x86. I tried downloading a 64bit version which works standalone but the editor still gives me the same error "gzip didn't spit out a file" when I use it. Are there any side effects to using zlib instead of gzip?

Sixth like in the facility with the terminals how to do make it where when you go up to it and press 'B' or use it performs a task. Possible action block most likely. But like the other I can't find that. I thought maybe it would be a '1000' action block but I dunno...

Seventh in the archives When you fire like 4 shots with a loud gun, I can't find the action block where it spawns the infinity number of enemies from the room above the spawn room until you enter the room. Also I noticed a few red presents in that room. What are those for?

Eight and last for now... justy curious in an action block how many cycles pass in a second?

If someone could answer some or all or possible point me to a tutorial to one of the questions that would be really great thank you!!

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can help answer a few of em....

1. Assigning keys to guards is really similar to embedding ammo in a crate, except it's "Attached to Guard" and not "Embedded Preset". Action blocks aren't involved at all in opening locked doors with keys, it's the unlock bits (they hafta match the lock bits of the door they open).

2. It's there as JAL to 0004, which is the block that makes them type.

6. It's often used in 1000 action blocks, where it loops until you activate an object by pressing B. Other times 2 objects can be linked w/o using action blocks, like the console-activated doors in Facility.

8. I'm not sure, but maybe there are 38 cycles per second.

I really don't know about the other ones. You might wanna ask SubDrag or zoinkity.

Have you downloaded the amazing help files/tutorials yet? If not, you should!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to hear you're interested in playing with the editor!

1) To assign a guard a keycard, you're going to need to actually open the Objects Menu. I guess at some point I should try and find a decent way to do this visually. Basically you would add a type 04 object, pick the bitflags for the locked door corresponding to it, then change the preset to Attached to Guard, and pick the right guard. They automatically drop it when you kill them. There are bitflags for the key. Then on the door (right click on the door and choose locked door flags), and make them match.

2) 0A is the action to make things do an animation. I ythink

3) Masking means you turn bits on. So if you do 0010, it turns the third bit on.

4) Are you use 27XX object for it?

5) ZLib files are unfortunately larger, but up until a point it's fine. Also, some dialogs such as 21990 only use gzip. Did the new gzip change any parameters?
Try this from the FAQ:
Why do I get the error "gzip.exe not found" when I try and convert a ROM?
This is an unfortunate problem in commanding the win32 console and a windows program. To fix it, go to Tools -> Preferences, choose the current folder to the main directory (C:\Program Files\GEEdit2\, by default), and then add your quick ROM and setup files you're working with to that directory. Also set your quick ROM to this quick ROM. It should fix this issue.

6) That can be done in action blocks, but look here:
http://shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=2211

7) There are spawn blocks from 10XX blocks, but they use weapons. Spawning can be shown in this tutorial:
http://www.goldeneyevault.com/files/tutorials/actionblockshowto/geeditorv2actionblockshowto.pdf

8 ) I have no idea.

DexterII
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here are the para's for the x64 version of gzip.
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GEEdit2>gzip.exe -h
gzip 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93)
usage: gzip [-acdfhlLnNtvV19] [-S suffix] [file ...]
 -a --ascii       ascii text; convert end-of-lines using local conventions
 -c --stdout      write on standard output, keep original files unchanged
 -d --decompress  decompress
 -f --force       force overwrite of output file and compress links
 -h --help        give this help
 -l --list        list compressed file contents
 -L --license     display software license
 -n --no-name     do not save or restore the original name and time stamp
 -N --name        save or restore the original name and time stamp
 -q --quiet       suppress all warnings
 -S .suf  --suffix .suf     use suffix .suf on compressed files
 -t --test        test compressed file integrity
 -v --verbose     verbose mode
 -V --version     display version number
 -1 --fast        compress faster
 -9 --best        compress better
 file...          files to (de)compress. If none given, use standard input.

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm much happier to know about the key and doors but knowing it still leaves one mystery. How to you rename / name the key they drop, along with making the door say things other than the door is locked if it is. (Like security clearance "B" needed) I know how to edit the text but how was it originally set?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You need to use the Objects window as well to rename. You'll have to add a 25 objects, then choose the key, and then choose the text mod. I think that's in the text mod tutorial but I'm not certain, or maybe the action block one.

I run:
gzip.exe -f -q -9 tempgh9.bin

Try doing what I said in the FAQ, maybe it's one of those weird windows vs console short names issues.

DexterII
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Follow up to # 7 I ran a quick text search through all the action blocks for the archives level and the only reference to the word spawn is for a PP7. Now how the #%$@ are those guards produced?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DexterII wrote:
Follow up to # 7 I ran a quick text search through all the action blocks for the archives level and the only reference to the word spawn is for a PP7. Now how the #%$@ are those guards produced?

You know that's a good question...the spawn command isn't there. Are you sure they spawn forever? I thought they did on the stairs but I could be wrong.

DexterII
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, actually it works like this. When you start out and fire I believe atleast 3 - 4 rounds with the PP7, Siberian guards come from the room that is just above the starting room (Room 0A). I can't remember off the top of my head but maybe 3 or 4 of them well come to you at once. And if you kill one, another one is respawned to keep the number of them after you the same. If you kill them all they all come back. I also noticed 1 Green Russian guard is spawned from somewhere else also. So there is always like 3 - 4 Siberians and 1 Russian Soldier after you. I like just staying in the spawn room and waiting for them to open the door and kill them, before you know it you have 10's of DD44 and KF7's on the ground. And they continue to come until you go inside that room above the starting room and kill the guards inside it. And you will continue to get a russian guard until you kill 'Guard 0004' (Preset 00BB). One thing I noticed is behind that guard there is a red preset "Preset 2802" and also in the room with the respawning Siberian guards there is 4 red presets behind the guard and desk "281E - 2821" Which is really weird. I also know Russian soldiers spawn in the courtyard outside with this map also cause I remember going down the hallway that leads to the door that leads outside (Room 7) And seeing guards coming from outside without looking outside to later be amazed that the three that are normally out there were still there.

Something is very weird about this map ....

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DexterII wrote:
in the room with the respawning Siberian guards there is 4 red presets behind the guard and desk "281E - 2821" Which is really weird. ... Something is very weird about this map ....

Those red presets were originally filing cabinets in beta. The cabinets were deleted but their presets weren't.

And those mysterious guards...maybe they have an attribute set which causes the respawning, but I doubt it.

DexterII
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yes, I see that with those four presets it explains why they are shaped exactly like file cabinets. I notice a lot of preset in this level like that I guess which were from the same thing...

Those respawning guards thing is gonna drive me nuts .... /me continues to figure out how its done...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I'm not sure. It's possible like GERage said it's a flag, but I don't know. I had thought they died out if you killed them all? Because you can walk around an empty archives?

DexterII
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well once you enter the room where they spawn from they no longer spawn from the room. That's how you can enter an empty level eventually. I also noticed that Green Russian guards spawn from the room across from the starting room. But once you enter that room they no longer come from there either.

It almost seems like once the guard in the room across from the starting room dies, no more guards spawn from that room. (Like if a box explodes and kills him through the wall without even having to enter the room.)

Carefully examining the room above the starting room the best I could, I was sort of able to see where in the room the guards are spawning from. They appear to be coming from the left side of the room where you can't see because of the door angle. But doing this causes them to no longer spawn from there anymore because I seen the room. But after shooting over 25 guards that came out of that room. The set 3 guards that you can even see in the editor were still in the room. Perhaps a "if room loaded" stop type of function. It's just really weird how there is no script for these spawns at all. If it's flags where would those flags be set? Why do I feel as if there is something hidden that the editor isn't seeing? Is that possible? It is weird how the archive map has the most of the left over presents among all the other maps. Literally there has to be over 30 voided presents. (Between boxes, bookcases and file cabinets)

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A similar respawning guard thing happens in Bunker 2. When you shoot a load gun outside the room w/ lots of ammo boxes, infinite guards spawn from that room until you enter it.

It might be possible to figure out what causes this unusual respawning, so I'm gonna look at Bunker 2's setup file.

Update: I found something when I compared the guards in the Bunker 2 and Archives setup files. A few guards in each setup had an unknown bitflag toggled: "0004". Most guards who had this bitflag were in those respawning rooms....

DexterII
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very interesting! Good find. I see what you mean. Let me try setting those bitflag values to 0 and see if the respawns continue. I'll post an update when I find out.

[EDIT] Actually better yet I will turn them all to 0000 And then change one that was normally 0000 to 0004 while also changing the character skin of the guard to see if that specific guard continues to respawn![/EDIT]

UPDATE: YES! bitflag value of 0004 allows the guard (when loud gun fire is heard) to keep respawning itself (including it's current weapon set, wearing glasses, hat etc) to go after Bond. It will continue to spawn (infinity amount of times) a copy of itself until either it has been viewed by Bond or is killed.

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome! Looks like we just discovered something! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: