ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Is clipping REALLY that hard to do?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Is clipping REALLY that hard to do?! Reply with quote Back to top

I was just wondering how difficult it is to actually apply clipping to PD maps? I mean, I understand the difference in clipping between GE & PD, but can it be done using the GoldenEditor?

I'm sure Zoinkity will know this - he is a genious after all! Very Happy

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It can be done. 99.6% of Grid was done using the editor. Although it helps to have the debug version (pm me) which can do PD conversions.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you use Grid's clipping file, or use one of GE's maps?

Also, I know it's been mentioned, but will there be a clipping tutorial coming out anytime soon?

Last edited by Kode-Z on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Grids of course!

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Out of interest SubDrag, how long did it take you to do the clipping for Grid? It's a fairly big level!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not much time at all. The auto-clipping tools work wonders. You basically import PD clipping file (after exporting to it in .obj), choose Delete all vertical tris, add a few missing tris, run Stan Convert and Voila!

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The new stan convertor works wonders! It handles most of the splitting and alignment that used to have to be done by hand. There were only a few problems with Grid's output, and all of them only took a few minutes to fix. The elevator, admittantly, was a frivality...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not every level will be quite as simple, some don't load for various reasons unknown to me (possible errors in setup file or bg conversion), but for simpler end levels it will help wonders!)

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible to apply clipping from scratch?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Import a blank file that just says unstric, then you can add manual ones by right click on vertices and room mode and saying convert to clipping. I wouldn't recommend doing anything manually. Export your level to .obj, import clipping as .obj, then delete clipping as necessary.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On the subject of clipping, I want to make it so you can fall down that grate next to the guardhouse in Dam, how would I go about doing that?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Basically to fall, you just set clipping vertically, but don't make it a ladder. You can try right click in room positions on a tile, and doing convert to clipping. Then in clipping mode, either redo connections if necessary, though it may mess up Rares.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, it worked but it's kind of glitchy, you can only fall about a quarter of the time, otherwise it acts like a wall. I'm going to try again but if I can't get it any better than this I think I'll go back to my original idea (A warp into the generator room). Thanks for the help. Smile

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One point i'd like to make about the PD clipping files is that most of them only consist of a few tiles. Why is this? I did the Air Base one from scratch, and that took 5 hours!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For future reference I have a PD convertor -> GE, but then you have to delete all the vertical tiles using the delete vertical, and then delete random ones. Did you use the beta GE Editor exe and that, or from scratch? It's not that bad from scratch since you just turn a whole room into tiles, and keep doing it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: