ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Jan 18 2008: Goldeneye Live Arcade: Silo Video Released!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Jan 18 2008: Goldeneye Live Arcade: Silo Video Released! Reply with quote Back to top

As Subby posted in another thread!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXWls4S_qu8

Alright kids, post some comments about goldeneyeforever and goldeneyeonline! Of course remember, you can use a .com or your comments won't post.

But the video....wow. Can you imagine this baby on xbox live? Crazy. It baffles me though, why would they develop this thing without first getting an agreement that they could release it?? Very odd.

I just think this. MS should just payoff Nintendo. I mean Nintendo are the ones who released the game right? I know MS bought Rare, and therein is the bummer. What a mess. I'm going back to Mupen64k.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

10 year aniversary is coming up. Plus, there's been talk for a while now about all of Rare's N64 properties.

Seems this is legit. Firstly, the game seems to have retained most if not all of the actual engine dynamics. The weird way shadows work, none of that foot-meter-speedo crap, the range of autoaim seeking, the damage is comperable to Agent damage, gunfire impact has not changed, guard actions are spot on notwithstanding flawless animations... If it isn't the actual engine, it is close enough to fit in its shoes. I only wish we got to see a couple explosions. That would solidify it there, one way or the other.

Of special note is that the control scheme has a couple added benefits. Notice that the camera was drawn without aid of the watch menu. There's probably a hotkey control for it like in PD, which is rather nice really.

It's a totally different graphics base. This is certainly no retexture; you'd have to hack the models to do waht was done and redo the textures, and with the sizes and colordepths used you'd need to do the tmem overrun trick to even get close. Heck, I'm not even sure there is an image type for 24bit compressed color binaries 128x128 or larger... You could embed the image in, but then if you shot it you'd get the glitch and a permanent loop.
I mean, most guard heads consist of an oblong box with a little pyramid for a nose. Guards actually have form a structure in this. To do the same on the N64 you'd need to completely replace the display list binaries, update the struct containers that apply the various characteristics for each part, and update like 500 pointers or so.

+++++++++++++
Addressing some of the more common points people have made, the game did not hang at the end there. The timing was actually correct for the delay to allow the end cutscene. That it wasn't triggered is a fairly good sign, meaning they really are working on it as a port, not a re-release if you understand what I mean.
It is not incredible to think that this would run at such a high fps the whole time. There were two fps displays, one probably for actual vsync and the other runtime. You can see the 30fps counter in red pops up every now and then, usually when a visible delay occurs. If you think for a moment, as crazy as GE was coded, it ran on an N64 at 20fps most of the time. Concidering you're using faster, more advanced processors, still getting all the advantages from dedicated graphics hardware, have a refined code base, vastly more memory on both the media and ram, and the code base is actualy rather simplistic compared to modern physics engines, it is really rather odd that it ever slowed down at all. Just look at the difference between PD and GE.

++++++++++++
So, either this is a fan GE recreation of such a phenomeonal level that even Martin Hollis would be proud, or Rare has managed to recreate their masterpiece to the delight of the GE community. Either way, this seems destined to make it to one platform or another at some point.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My main comment is this MUST come out.

steelman16
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I watched the video and this Goldeneye version is awesome!!! I was right about Rare coming out with the re-released version of Goldeneye! You can read my post that is titled Ok what is rare waiting for? Everything I written in their seems to be turning out to be true!

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh my GOD! Just seen the video on YouTube - amazing! This had better be released, or i'll cry in my Cornflakes!!!

power666
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I saw this today by chance (along with a video I gave Subdrag years ago).

It definitely isn't an emulated version but can anyone place this as a mod for another game engine on the PC? Doesn't look like it to me personally but thowing out the idea.

Grindie
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It definitely isn't just a retexture running on an N64 emulator. All the polygon models are completely different. But is it an XBLA game? I'm not too sure. The main plothole here is why would RARE start working on a game that they don't even know will ever get released?

Even with all this Goldeneye is NEVER coming to XBLA stuff, I have hopes that this is some kind of indie remake or something. Either that or it's just a clever CGI video made by the likes of the guy who made the Nintendo ON video before the Wii was announced.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Grindie wrote:
The main plothole here is why would RARE start working on a game that they don't even know will ever get released?

Exactly. That's the bit that never made much sense.
However...
There's been talk of getting the rights for a re-released GE for some time now. That bit of the backstory is certainly true. That magical 10-year mark is approaching, retro games (if you can call it that) are trendy at the moment, and thanks the the lot of us GE has become hugely popular. (It was fading prior to the editor, at least...)

However, it almost does make sense from one perspective. That demo was certainly not complete, meaning to say even if it was an indie game it was an incomplete one. The only other stage we've confimed to exist is Facility, and the guards are remarkably similar between them.
This could be a ploy to garter a better bargaining position. There's been a huge response to the video so far, at least two petition campains, and noise all over about a possible release. If the talks basically fell apart - if it was nothing more than getting Nintendo to bend on the position - a large enough response would easily get both sides into negotiations again.

In the meantime, you have a small crew working on a project you'd probably want completed anyway.

Still, I would have thought BK, BT, PD, even BC - anything but GE would be first. It's crazy, but here's hoping its true. If that's an indie project, kudos to them. It's an amazingly accurate port, down to the dynamics of gameplay. Too bad there wasn't a single explosion. That would have sealed it, one way or the other. GE's explosion code is a marvel, almost as stunning as FZeroX's use of the cubic spline curve for tracks. That's intricate and unique. Others have made explosions, but not like it.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: OMG!!!!! Reply with quote Back to top

I have been away for too long!!!! I'll be back soon hopefully guys. New girlfriend has a good pc that I can use. Ex wife lost half of our crap including my computer!!! When my son gets older I'm training him to be a hacker just to piss the ex off. JK But I will if he asks. Wink Take care fellow gaming brethren Laughing Cool

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I figured you'd make another appearance SOME day.

There have been tremendous hacking advancements for goldeneye since last time you visited this site. I've got several projects going which involve using rooms from several stages all in one level, clipping mods, etc. Quite a few perfect dark stages have been ported to GE. Also something very recent, people are using the HAMMER 3d editor to create new levels.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I saw the hammer editor. When I get another computer here hopefully in the next month or so I'll be asking lots of questions. I think I have my Jungle mod saved to disk. Have to post an IPS version for goldeneye online. I eventually wanted to compile a complete Solo-Multi pack splitting all levels into different sections for gameplay. This way you could play the whole game in multiplayer as if you were in the Solo version of the game. Should be interesting to play around with. Feel free to start with out me. What I normally do (did it with jungle) is open the solo file in the editor using archives setup and rewrite it to load archives as whatever level I want. Then I remove all the guards and action blocks from the stage.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Check out the thread in the hacking forum (in the sticky section) - I've got a very similar project going, though not quite completed. I've thus far used up all but 3 of the available slots in the multiplayer menu. Now its just a motivational issue for me to get the final 3 finished for a complete release.

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All I've got to say is that MUST COME OUT ABSOLUTELY AHHHHHH

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I almost want to say I'd buy a 360 for it...almost, but I decided a few years back to never buy a console for a single game again. I'm still holding out hope that we may end up seeing a dual platform release, if I was in Nintendo's shoes that definitely would've been in the agreement for turning over the rights to the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: