ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

CONCEPT - Frigate imported into Dam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: CONCEPT - Frigate imported into Dam Reply with quote Back to top

This is an idea I've actually had for a while and is sitll in the VERY EARLY concept stages (this would be an extremely challenging import to pull off), but wouldn't this make for an interesting multiplayer map? (its the entire frigate imported into the dam and placed into the water.

There would also need to be a bridge connecting the island to the mainland.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's awesome!!! Great idea! I'm worried it won't load in-game though. I've had problems with levels that are just simply too big.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I wouldn't use the entire portion of either stage.

For the dam, I would actually be using a very limited number of rooms, excluding the entire frontzone as well as the mountains on the side of the bungee area as well as the vertical wall that makes up the bungee wall. I believe when all was said and done, I used 34 (hex) dam rooms.

For the frigate, I could do the same thing I did with the stand-alone frigate MP map - exclude the "basement" rooms.

This would be practical anyways, otherwise it would be an absolutely huge level.

I was also playing around with "bridges" - using the STONE DOOR image, I created long planks which were extensions of the docks. Once in place, you can add clipping to them (well, virtual clipping, just place it in the correct spot)

One issue this stage would have is that the back side of the ship doesn't have an outer shell, the level would have to be structured such that the ship was to the right of the island and so that on the mainland, you could only access the first 2 sniper towers, closing off the area on the other side of the ship. Unless an artificial ship shell could be constructed (which I suppose it could using blender, but that makes things more complicated)

DELETED

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately, it looks like this idea will end in the concept stage.

I did get it to load in-game, and its looks pretty sweet...

I loaded it w/out any portal data (for global visibility) and I basically gutted the interior of the ship to get a rough idea for how framerates would hold. Not good. Framerates, with no objects loaded whatsoever (and visibility not as high as it needs to be either), in solo mode, were equivalent to that of 4-player in the bottling room.

So I can't even imagine what kind of specs your computer would need to fully run this thing in mp mode.

The other serious issue here is the scale difference. Using Frigate's scale, the dam is just too small. To bring the dam up to size, the ship would be huge (which would maybe be ok) but I'm afraid that would further bog down framerates as well as cause further visibility issues.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man, it's a shame the framerate is terrible, that would've been an awesome map.

bmw wrote:
The other serious issue here is the scale difference. Using Frigate's scale, the dam is just too small. To bring the dam up to size, the ship would be huge (which would maybe be ok) but I'm afraid that would further bog down framerates as well as cause further visibility issues.

Couldn't you export the Dam to .obj, enlarge it in a model editor, and reimport?

fantsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks so amazing....

Shocked

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you have to remember, not only is Frigate sort of pushing it concidering all the blackouts you get in there, but Dam also has the same problem.
On top of that, the worst part of Dam is the bit where a few dozen rooms (those background cliffs) are all forced to be visible at once, and likewise the worst bit of Frigate is the area outside, again forced to be visible.

Good thing it loaded though. The actual room cap is fairly low concidering that potentially 255 rooms could be in use. The cap is somewhere around 80. Well, I told Sub at one point nad he probably set the cap someplace.

Funny enough, I had a similar idea a long while ago. Since the island is far too small for multiplayer, I thought of taking a series of sppedboats, oversizing them, and placing them out in the water haphazardly. You'd essentially be running along their tops, sort of like in those action flicks where they run from boat to boat shooting wildly.
You could probably pull something like that off much easier. Granted, Dam is pushing it anyway, but it's not quite as intensive.

Hilarious idea though. Kudos for that ;*)

fantsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can't you disable more things, cause that would be awesome snipermap, only the top of the dam, and top of the frigate and the island?

What about frigate down there, and dam only as back round?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm impressed it loaded in-game, it looks spectacular. There's no limit on rooms in GE, it'll just crash in-game. I had thought that the # of rooms depended on the level? That was a hard fixed #? The Dam -> Frigate view probably massacres it, but if you're in the frigate with portals and such it'd probably be ok. Still, it's a great concept map, I think it'd be worth a release just walking around the Dam and seeing a frigate!

fantsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yes, you're right, release it!

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
There's no limit on rooms in GE, it'll just crash in-game....That was a hard fixed #?

You can say it's hard-fixed. Only a certain amount of room is available for the room data block allocated in 21990. If you exceed that you overrun other vital data, which is why it crashes. So, whatever that value was, that's the maximum number of rooms possible in *any* stage - unless you move the block to a completely different region of memory.
That's not impossible, but you'd have to change a *lot* of stuff. -and probably have an expansion pak ;*) That's the only sure-fire way to know you'd have enough room available, but then you also need to make one more permanent TLB entry to cover 80400000-80800000. There's still that 255 room bound, of course, and that's non-negotiable. So much for Area 51...

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have to play around with it some more. With that screenshot, I had also gutted the dam down to the point of getting rid of all mountains as well as all other non-esssential rooms. On the frigate, I got rid of the top of the ship (that's not accessible by foot anyways).

Getting rid of the lone sniper tower on the other side of the ship might help, not sure. I'm also not sure if framerates may improve somewhat with portals in use as with global visibility set, there's still some rooms that even in that screenshot (rooms associated with the lower parts of the sniper towers as well as rooms associated with the far side of the ship) that would not be loaded.

I'll have to go through, for testing purposes, and delete each and every room that would probably be not loaded if a portal were in place. Because the actual act of portal-ing this stage will NOT be easy nor quick to do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT - upon further testing, I did get this thing to load in 2-player mode, and interestingly enough, framerates actually held slightly better than in mission mode. It was comparable to 2 players in the bottling room.

So this may be a worthy project for further testing and tweaking.

fantsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Would awful much of fog help?

Like in turok...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, that really does look awesome. It's nice having the extra background scenary around the ship. I wonder how the Russians managed to get it in there? Imagine the looks on their faces after discovering that it can't go anywhere after finishing the construction on it. Hehe. Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: