ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Use HL2 Hammer Editor to create GE Levels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The train on top of the tracks in depot is probably the closest example to what you're describing.

And as wreck pointed out, visibility can be difficult to achieve. In the case of the train, there are quite a few portals, some of which are in places that don't intuitively make any sense.

btw - could you send me just ONE of your map rooms? (email). I'd like to take a look at it and compare it to mine.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw: I sent the room.

BillyGlenn: I'm not having any luck exporting a .map from Milkshape, it crashes every time I try.

BillyGlenn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:

BillyGlenn: I'm not having any luck exporting a .map from Milkshape, it crashes every time I try.

really? its working fine for me...
it is just a crash or do you get some kind of error message?
do you have a full version or that free version?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It gives me the standard XP "This program encountered and error and needs to close" crash message. It's the free version.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DB - I looked at your map file, looks like my problem lies within applying textures to entire cubes as opposed to a single side.

So I went through and created a very basic room with a doorway. I've been over the map with a fine tooth comb and I can NOT figure out why in the world this thing won't compile properly.

http://goldeneyehacks.com/room4.map

In the GE editor, no triangles can be selected, textures won't display, and I can tell by putting the texture mode view to wireframe that the wall with the doorway didn't compile properly - the whole wall is null.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
DB - I looked at your map file, looks like my problem lies within applying textures to entire cubes as opposed to a single side.

That shouldn't make a difference, as I said in my email I did that before I realized I could just block off the outside areas with the null texture. The way the compiling process works is that it removes anything you would never be able to see, if you've got an open window it can see outside and you have to put the null texture on that side of walls to get rid of them. However, if you fill any exits with the null texture so that the entire map is self-contained then you don't need to worry about that. You do need to place a start point entity in your map before compiling if you do this though.

bmw wrote:
So I went through and created a very basic room with a doorway. I've been over the map with a fine tooth comb and I can NOT figure out why in the world this thing won't compile properly.

http://goldeneyehacks.com/room4.map

In the GE editor, no triangles can be selected, textures won't display, and I can tell by putting the texture mode view to wireframe that the wall with the doorway didn't compile properly - the whole wall is null.

It imported fine for me, all I did was place the start point entity before I compiled. My guess is the compiler couldn't figure out what side was the inside and just made a mess of your room.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

*sigh* *losing patience real fast*

Alright, I added what I think is a start point. According to the help menu, that is nothing more than adding an entity to the stage, correct?

Did that. Then compiled. Compiliation results are as follows:

** Executing...
** Command: C:\DOCUME~1\brandon\Desktop\Hammer\hlcsg.exe
** Parameters: "c:\documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\room4" -wadinclude GE.wad

hlcsg v3.4 Final (Feb 25 2006)
Zoner's Half-Life Compilation Tools -- Custom Build
Based on code modifications by Sean 'Zoner' Cavanaugh
Based on Valve's version, modified with permission.
Submit detailed bug reports to (amckern@yahoo.com)
----- BEGIN hlcsg -----
Command line: C:\DOCUME~1\brandon\Desktop\Hammer\hlcsg.exe "c:\documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\room4"-wadinclude GE.wad
Entering c:\documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\room4.map

Current hlcsg Settings
Name | Setting | Default
---------------------|-----------|-------------------------
threads [ 1 ] [ Varies ]
verbose [ off ] [ off ]
log [ on ] [ on ]
developer [ 0 ] [ 0 ]
chart [ off ] [ off ]
estimate [ off ] [ off ]
max texture memory [ 4194304 ] [ 4194304 ]
max lighting memory [ 6291456 ] [ 6291456 ]
priority [ Normal ] [ Normal ]

noclip [ off ] [ off ]
null texture stripping[ on ] [ on ]
clipnode economy mode [ on ] [ on ]
clip hull type [ legacy ] [ legacy ]
onlyents [ off ] [ off ]
wadtextures [ on ] [ on ]
skyclip [ on ] [ on ]
hullfile [ None ] [ None ]
nullfile [ None ] [ None ]
min surface area [ 0.500 ] [ 0.500 ]
brush union threshold [ 0.000 ] [ 0.000 ]

Using mapfile wad configuration
Wadinclude list :
[zhlt.wad]
[GE.wad]

0 brushes (totalling 0 sides) discarded from clipping hulls
CreateBrush:
50%... (0.00 seconds)
SetModelCenters:
50%... (0.00 seconds)
CSGBrush:
50%... (0.02 seconds)

Including Wadfile: \documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\ge.wad
- Contains 3 used textures, 75.00 percent of map (2705 textures in wad)
Including Wadfile: \documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\zhlt.wad
- Contains 1 used texture, 25.00 percent of map (8 textures in wad)

Texture usage is at 0.01 mb (of 4.00 mb MAX)
0.03 seconds elapsed

----- END hlcsg -----

** Executing...
** Command: C:\DOCUME~1\brandon\Desktop\Hammer\hlbsp.exe
** Parameters: "c:\documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\room4"

hlbsp v3.4 Final (Feb 25 2006)
----- BEGIN hlbsp -----
Command line: C:\DOCUME~1\brandon\Desktop\Hammer\hlbsp.exe "c:\documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\room4"

Current hlbsp Settings
Name | Setting | Default
-------------------|-----------|-------------------------
threads [ 1 ] [ Varies ]
verbose [ off ] [ off ]
log [ on ] [ on ]
developer [ 0 ] [ 0 ]
chart [ off ] [ off ]
estimate [ off ] [ off ]

noclip [ off ] [ off ]
nofill [ off ] [ off ]
noopt [ off ] [ off ]
null tex. stripping [ on ] [ on ]
notjunc [ off ] [ off ]
subdivide size [ 240 ] [ 240 ] (Min 64) (Max 512)
max node size [ 1024 ] [ 1024 ] (Min 64) (Max 8192)

SolidBSP [hull 0] 30 (0.00 seconds)
BSP generation successful, writing portal file 'c:\documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\room4.prt'
SolidBSP [hull 1] 25 (0.00 seconds)
Warning: No entities exist in hull 1, no filling performed for this hull
SolidBSP [hull 2] 24 (0.02 seconds)
Warning: No entities exist in hull 2, no filling performed for this hull
SolidBSP [hull 3] 30 (0.00 seconds)
Warning: No entities exist in hull 3, no filling performed for this hull
0.02 seconds elapsed

----- END hlbsp -----

** Executing...
** Command: C:\DOCUME~1\brandon\Desktop\Hammer\hlvis.exe
** Parameters: "c:\documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\room4"

hlvis v3.4 Final (Feb 25 2006)
----- BEGIN hlvis -----
Command line: C:\DOCUME~1\brandon\Desktop\Hammer\hlvis.exe "c:\documents and settings\brandon\desktop\hammer\room4"
3 portalleafs
2 numportals

-= Current hlvis Settings =-
Name | Setting | Default
-------------------|-----------|-------------------------
threads [ 1 ] [ Varies ]
verbose [ off ] [ off ]
log [ on ] [ on ]
developer [ 0 ] [ 0 ]
chart [ off ] [ off ]
estimate [ off ] [ off ]
max vis distance [ 0 ] [ 0 ]

fast vis [ off ] [ off ]
full vis [ off ] [ off ]

BasePortalVis:
50%... (0.02 seconds)
LeafThread:
50%... (0.00 seconds)
average leafs visible: 0
g_visdatasize:9 compressed from 3
0.02 seconds elapsed

----- END hlvis -----

When I open the resulting BSP file in CRAFTY OBJECT VIEWER, it shows only 5 polygons in my stage. Should be more than that. Same exact result as before I added an entity to my map.

I'm obviously not compiling right, or not converting right, or something. But this is starting to get frustrating.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The default entity is a scripted sequence (HL's version of an action block). I don't know if this will make any difference or not but select it, then right click -> properties, and change its class to info_playerstart. I think having any entity in there will work correctly, and looking at your compile log it appears to have, but try that just in case. As I said it imported fine for me, here's a screenshot of it in the visual editor:

And in GE:

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When you open it in Crafty Object Viewer, how many WORLD POLYGONS does your bsp file have?

Mine is STILL only showing 5. Each "wall" equals a polygon, right? By my calculations, it should have 7 (or 8 if the null door gets counted)

In-editor, the wall with the door is completely gone. That would make sense as to being 5 polygons (ceiling, floor, 3 walls).

EDIT - OH, wait. May be a problem with the null texture, looking at my compile line, I'm only including the GEWad file. How should this line be modified? (from the CSG command)

$path\$file -wadinclude GE.wad

EDIT 2- still 5 polygons. Successfully added zhlt.wad to the include line, accurately showed up in the compile. Still 5 polygons in my bsp file.

Last edited by bmw on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

World polygons changes based on what's currently in your view. If I look at the corner opposite the door I get 5, if I look at the door I get 10, and I managed to get 11 one time but can't seem to find the "sweet spot" again.

Edit: Just saw your edit. I have mine set up the same way, since the null texture is never shown you don't need to include zhlt.wad. If you want to add it anyway I think you just need to add a second -wadinclude after the first one (Might want to put zhlt.wad into Hammer's root directory if you don't have it there already).

Edit 2: Forgot to reply to this:
Quote:
Each "wall" equals a polygon, right?

Not necessarily, walls are usually divided into smaller pieces once they're over a certain size, 56x56 was the largest one polygon floor I was able to make for Wreck (The default grid is 64x64). If you want to view your polygons change Crafty's world render to wireframe.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, now I feel stupid - turns out my mistake was that I had my world movement sensitivity turned all the way down in the GE editor - what I was actually seeing was the white box spawn point preset, NOT my room. But because I was moving so slow and it was the only thing I could see on my screen, it gave it the illusion that it was actually a lot larger than just a spawn point preset, looking much larger than it actually was, looked EXACTLY like my old white rectangular room from before when my textures weren't loading properly.

WHOOPS. *puts on dunce cap*

Moved out away and found my room.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha good stuff BMW.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing

Glad you figured it out.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Funny how such a mundane detail can cause hours of grief, eh?

Anyways, FINALLY got 2 rooms loaded, properly connected, and with proper bullet travel. DB - your method for saving and importing multiple rooms, though somewhat tedious, does work.

Thanks much for your help with this. I woulda been totally lost otherwise. Hopefully this thread has enough content in it for others who may have had similar problems/questions as mine.

My eventual first release using this will be a courtyard like setup, 2 floors plus roof access, each room facing the courtyard in a rectangular shape, the 4 corners will have staircases (btw - I did get clipping to work on stairs created in hammer). Will be nothing fancy in an attempt to keep framerames up, should be a great mp map. Also looking forward to the final office map.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
Funny how such a mundane detail can cause hours of grief, eh?

Anyways, FINALLY got 2 rooms loaded, properly connected, and with proper bullet travel. DB - your method for saving and importing multiple rooms, though somewhat tedious, does work.

Thanks much for your help with this. I woulda been totally lost otherwise. Hopefully this thread has enough content in it for others who may have had similar problems/questions as mine.

No problem. I plan on writing the tutorial to make a simple map soon, I just want to wait a bit in case we figure out any more techniques to make it a bit easier (If I had written a tutorial a few days ago it wouldn't have even mentioned multiple room maps, after all).

bmw wrote:
My eventual first release using this will be a courtyard like setup, 2 floors plus roof access, each room facing the courtyard in a rectangular shape, the 4 corners will have staircases (btw - I did get clipping to work on stairs created in hammer). Will be nothing fancy in an attempt to keep framerames up, should be a great mp map. Also looking forward to the final office map.

Sounds cool, I'm looking forward to playing it. Now that we've got rooms working flawlessly I have plans to work on a larger solo map after I finish the Dam mission.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: