ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

RAM dump from Project64

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaD
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: RAM dump from Project64 Reply with quote Back to top

This has been asked here:
http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=167

The question was: how you can get a RAM dump (like Gameshark's Memory Editor shows) from an emulated game?

Well, it's really simple.

PaD in his readme wrote:
This little program removes the header of Project64 savestate files (*.PJ) and applies a 32-bit-swap.
The file being created is equal to the RAM dump that Gameshark's Memory Editor shows.

0x8C640 in the RAM file is the same as the GS address 8008C640.

use:
----
1. Create a savestate in Project64
2. Go into PJ64's savestate dir
3. Unzip the PJ file
4. Open pj2ram, browse for the PJ file and create the RAM
5. You can now take your Hex Editor!

Yep, simple as that, you can then view the game's RAM (preferably GoldenEye Wink but it works fine for others as well) using a hex editor (Hex Workshop recommended).

This is useful for people not having an N64 or GS or whatever at the moment.
Besides a hex editor is much more easy to use than that retro-style Memory Editor...
Though if you want to search for values changing, you'll have to create multiple savestates and compare the RAMs, which can be a bit nifty...

Anyways, here's the little program:
http://www.acdc-radio.de/bn/pj2ram.zip

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just tried this out. It's all within preference, for ArtMoney or Hex Editor. I really like ArtMoney, but I have had a long experience with using Hex Editors, and really like them too, lol.

This Method's-
Pros:
Very Fast Search
Best Backup for several Memory States
Hex Editor Interface (Pros including stuff like searching in Hex)
Addresses are the same as you would use for the Gameshark (I think, gotta add the "81" or "80" to the begining I guess)

Cons:
Inability to change values on-the-fly
Inability to see values change as your environment changes
Inability to narrow down and find values by changing your environment (the filter method)

I think I'll use both this and ArtMoney, lol. I think this method might be very useful for saving map data (presets and stuff) that occurs in the little window when loading a level. I have yet to actually make any codes that way, I have just based off Wrecks code. I gotta start getting my own addresses for the map I have in mind. Very Happy Nice work on this method and that little prog, PaD.

PaD
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, it's bad that you don't have tracing functions this way.
that's why for tracing, I turn on my N64 Wink

this combines N64 and PC work, makes it real fun

BTW, it's a real advantage if you can program Wink
I wrote this little tool, the "GS Code Maker"
http://www.acdc-radio.de/bn/gscodemaker.zip

it is really helpful if you work with a hex editor.
you simple copy and paste a hex string into the first box, set a starting address and hit the button.

example:
hex dump:
0100080300602725000001E100000000

starting address: 2C0000

[button]
result:
812C0000 0100
812C0002 0803
812C0004 0060
812C0006 2725
812C0008 0000
812C000A 01E1
812C000C 0000
812C000E 0000

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really impressed, PaD. You've become a great asset to the N64 hacking community. Not only for GoldenEye, but many other games. I will definitely have to try this out when I get the chance. Salute. Wink

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

normal ram in a PJ64 savestate begins at +0x75C
the entire thing is 32bit byteswapped
(ie: DLOG instead of GOLD)

Kastro187420
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know this is kind of an old topic, but I need help with this program. I made the save state, and Unzipped it. I browsed for it, and found it, and tried to convert it, but got this error:

Run-Time Error 75
Path/File access Error

How do I fix this so that it works? This is the only way I can do anything with the game hacking-wise, both my gamesharks happened to break at the same time, and NEMU doesn't work either, so this is my last resort.

Any help is appreciated.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've had GameShark's that have appeared to be broken in the past, but started working again after giving them a decent cleaning. Might I suggest something? Try taking a Q-tip and rubbing across the edge connector of the cheating device. You'd be surprised at how much black crap it can take off. I have to do this with one of my Shark's prior to each use, even after powering it down temporarily. Make sure to rub the whole area that fits into the N64. You may also want to do the same with your game cartridges. My GoldenEye was pretty dirty. Try that out and see if you can't get atleast one of them to start up. And if that doesn't do the trick, do it a couple more times. Mine didn't work the first try, either.

Kastro187420
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I tried that already, and even took it a step further by removing the casing of the GameShark completely, and then cleaning as much as I could and still nothing. I've tried cleaning my Goldeneye Cartridge, and that didn't work. I know its the GS, because Goldeneye works on my N64 fine...

My dad got it work once or twice, but afterwards, it just stopped working.
I've heard that they do that from time to time, but it happening to both of mine at the same time I really didn't expect. If it matters, I have a 2.0, and 3.3 GameShark.

Any other ideas though?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have yet to find a GS that actually stopped working. There isn't that much to go wrong on them.

Have you also tried cleaning the connector on the top of the GS? Most people don't think of that one, and it also is a bite to clean. Your best bet is to use one of those N64 console cleany things or one from an older system (NES works wonders). Fabric stretched across a thin piece of plastic won't tear or get clog the connector.

Kastro187420
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well I don't have a thin piece of plastic that I can use, so I did the next best thing... I cleaned the Goldeneye Cartridge thing and inserted it into the gameshark... I tried using a q-tip, but that was too big...

I should look around though for some cloth and plastic and give that a shot... not that it matters now, I ordered a new GS Pro 3.3 Sunday, so im probably just gonna break my old one since its not working...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: