ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Interesting mission concepts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Interesting mission concepts Reply with quote Back to top

I thought of a couple ideas for Goldeneye over the past week. I was playing some Zelda and Metroid, and I wondered if elements from each could be implemented into Goldeneye. Onto the concepts....

Using weapons to open doors:
In most Metroid games, there are different coloured hatches. Each colour corresponds to the weapon needed to open the door. In Goldeneye, you could have different doors that require you to shoot them with a certain weapon to open them.

Making puzzles in rooms:
There are infinite possibilities with this. Maybe puzzles could involve killing all enemies in a room or using complex bankshots with a grenade launcher to unlock a door. It would give Goldeneye feel sorta like Zelda.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to Goldeneye, so neither of those ideas really appeal to me.

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to Goldeneye, so neither of those ideas really appeal to me.

The puzzle thing reminds me of the trap in Egyptian... so being a purist should sort of appeal to that.

The bankshot thing to unlock a door = No.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A neat one would be in the order of the colored block puzzles. You have different colored blocks, each either up (blocking you) or down (so you run over them). Hitting switches/activating things/running over certain color stuff would raise some and lower others.

I'm not really certain how to get doors to only temporarily open when shot. Unfortunately, they only register that at some point they have been shot. If the register was cleared after a certain time maybe it would work...

I wouldn't try to make a bankshot too complex without some guide. Like a 'stand here' tile, walls to guide the shot, or at least walls you can see through so you know how bad it went. Rather easy though. Hit the object, make it blow up, opens door.

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you implying that there is a test to check if an object has been shot?

Btw, some of those puzzle ideas seem very cool.

flopperr999
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I kind of have to agree on Dragonsbrethren on this one. Goldeneye was never meant to be a game like Zelda. I mean think realistically here. It's a game where you play as a Secret Agent, not a game like Metroid. (Although, GE was never really meant to be anything more that GE; not with new missions like Complex, Library, or even completely new, like Office.) But still, Rare's intentions (before they started) weren't to have a puzzle game, but more of a spy-stealth(ish)-infiltrate this and that-esque-game. (Do you like that word combo I just made? Very Happy) I mean, if were going to go with puzzles, I think we should stick with selective paths across a room (Like the Egyptian Golden Gun Room).

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There isn't an action tyep to detect damage, but there are ways to write action blocks that can ;*) There's two things in general that list damage received so far and if something has been hit.

I think the point isn't necessarily to write new GE stages. Who's to say we can't mess around with the engine a bit and make something highly stylized that just happens to be sort of crazy.
The best example of this - and a good excuse to use unorthodox puzzles - would be to have a Scaramanga-influenced maze of sorts. Think of it like dropping an old NES zelda into OoT's engine. He's got a series of weird things you have to do to move from room to room, leading to the climactic end boss battle.

You-got-the-thing (Doo-Do-Do-Doo)
Picked up a Motorcycle Launcher

That unorthodox puzzles work at all is really a testament to how versatile the engine is in the first place. Besides, Rare's only intention was to make a Bond game that doesn't suck too bad, which they did. Anyone who can make an objective as cheap as 'minimize scientist casualties', then use it in practically every blasted level totally wouldn't mind if somebody did something a little goofy.

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All right, I got a door to open by throwing a mine on it. That could easily work with other throw-and-stick objects (plastiques, covert modems, what have you).

I want to clarify: I'm not trying to turn GE into Zelda. I am not making a mission completely based on puzzle-solving! Maybe a couple puzzles in a mission, but that'll be it.

TAKA Michinoku9.1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

puzzles in missions sound cool great idea Very Happy

"For over 30 Years the IRA showed that the British Government could not rule Ireland on its on terms. You asserted the right of the people of this island to freedom and independance, many of your comrades have paid the ultimate sacrafice in order to bring the freedom struggle forward towards its obtainment."
Gerry Adams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V3AEgStKvE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: