ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Halo Combat Evolved Maps to GE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

just... whoa Shocked
Excelent! What are you using to model this, hammer? Im' specially interested in the natural parts, like rocks and terrain. I'm starting in this stuff and can't model those.

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Smile well i don't actually model the map but it seems like i might have to, i use the map's geometry and indices, etc contained in a .bsp file and convert it to .obj so its compatible with the ge editor. i was wondering if there was a way to model it with my .obj, i'm looking into 3ds max, if you want you can participate in this project too since i'll take all the help i can get

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

r.e.l. 237 wrote:
Also, for some reasons bullets go through walls and floors..... Major prolbem since you can shoot anyone from anywhere within the map.

I'm not sure if this would make any difference or not but do the textures you imported have a hit type set? I'm not sure if not having one would allow bullets to pass through them or not.

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
r.e.l. 237 wrote:
Also, for some reasons bullets go through walls and floors..... Major prolbem since you can shoot anyone from anywhere within the map.

I'm not sure if this would make any difference or not but do the textures you imported have a hit type set? I'm not sure if not having one would allow bullets to pass through them or not.
how would i know?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Open your ROM in the image tools, scroll down to the bottom to find your textures, right click on them and see what's set.

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
Open your ROM in the image tools, scroll down to the bottom to find your textures, right click on them and see what's set.
heh, another of my issues i CANT open my rom in image tools or 21990. besides the ROM crashes after 30 seconds for some reason.

DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i try but it still crashes and takes more than a few seconds, like a minute or more and then ge setup editor gives an error. image tools i dont even bother, i open it -> error -> crash.

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

r.e.l. 237 wrote:
Smile well i don't actually model the map but it seems like i might have to, i use the map's geometry and indices, etc contained in a .bsp file and convert it to .obj so its compatible with the ge editor. i was wondering if there was a way to model it with my .obj, i'm looking into 3ds max, if you want you can participate in this project too since i'll take all the help i can get

hehe, don't think so, for now, I'm already quite busy with my own maps (I'm doing the super mario 64 castle), and Real Life (tm).

Maybe, when I have a good and fully working setup here (I'm refering to my "work" environment, computer, software, etc), I'll divert some work into other stuff, like this, even if it is just to practice and see how others do things, and hope I can help in something, of course.

For now, all I can say is, great work and good luck!

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hey i got my hands on a copy of 3ds max, i was wondering if there is something i can do in it with my .obj to fix the problem with the bullets through walls. i was also wondering if tiles can be "joined" so when i make clipping, it is much easier. any suggestions?

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't yet tried anything on 3ds max (my current system is too slow and the installation is full of crap, which aggravates the problem), but, if by "joining" tiles you mean trimming the surfaces you already have so they fit they fit exaclty to the walking area (the clipping), I would reccomend agains it for one reason. You'll make the a more complex scene. You should construct the clipping "over" the background geometry without modifying it directly or you may end up with very complex geometry which will render slower.
Even if we are using emulators, we should still try to keep things optimized at n64 levels. A giant square for the floor renders faster than a complex surface with may sides and vertexes.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yet oddly it was done the other way around when the original stages were constructed. In order to make a perfect light map it may be necessary to do so. Don't rule out having to edit your room to accomidate clipping, but likewise it is not necessary to fit room models preceisely to the same bounds. As it is players walk halfway through walls.

Remember too that intricate tiles means trouble with object placement and too many connections to a single point can trigger the 'shadowcat' glitch. (They're one-and-the-same, in actuality)

Bullets should only fly through walls if they are set as secondary mapping. Primary mapping will always act as a collidable surface, even when the surface itself is not visible.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't understand what you mean, zoinkity, and also fear that there may have been a misunderstandement because of my badly written post.

I was meaning that, in the BG, it would be better (from the point of view of cost effectiveness) to make geometry as simple as possible, like making a floor a simple square instead of trimming it to the boundaries of a very detailed wall, leaving it unwelded, and then once that's done, close that into a group in the editor, and draw the clipping surfaces over it, as detailed as needed.

Also, what do "tiles" mean here? I'm cofused; and what's that "shadowcat" glitch you talk about? can't find anything about that.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tiles are individual polygons of clipping. The 'shadowcat' glitch is a common clipping issue where the player can walk out-of-bounds. It also can cause an object placed at the location to either not load or shadowcat itself, meaning it would be either in unplayable bounds or only viewable from other rooms.

Clipping has more processor overhead than the graphical display. Remember, one half of the RCP is nothing but graphics processing. Z-compare is where it tends to get bogged down, but by fiddling with combiner modes you can omit it entirely. That's one trick for increasing framerates.
Clipping is, on the other hand, entirely processed and assembled at runtime. Out of experience, having 10+ tiles all adjoining at one point causes dramatically more problems and slowdown than a few more polys.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mmm, with polygons you refer to triangle primitives or a flat free-form polygon before being triangulated/tesselated?

I ask this because some editors (like sketchup) deal with untriangulated surfaces and then, one can't know for sure how it will triangulate unless it's done manually.

Do you recommend I triangulate manually to prevent too many triangles to converge on the same vertex?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: