ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

As anyone tried the unreal UDK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moz
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: As anyone tried the unreal UDK? Reply with quote Back to top

I've recently discovered this stuff and been playing all the custom levels like a madman.

I used to be a level designer and I remember up until the last revision of unreal engine 2.5 that I could export all the BSP geometry as an .obj file. Has anyone tried building levels that way instead of using Hammer? Epsecially since the UDK is free and it's a widely used level design engine (much more than Hammer thats for sure)

Unreal is based on subtractive space but I mean the .obj file could be cleaned up in a 3d program.

I am currently slowly downloading the latest UDK but I am not sure if unreal engine 3 even supports basic BSP like it once did back in the day. Otherwise I could always reinstall UT99 and give it a try.

hopefully when the UDK finally finished downloading Im going to experiment with it, I've always wanted to make Goldeneye levels since I was a kid!

cheers

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the forums Moz.

I never herd of UDK what so ever.

But if you have the time to tell us what it is ill be happy to no.

HackBond

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EternallyAries wrote:
Welcome to the forums Moz.

I never herd of UDK what so ever.

But if you have the time to tell us what it is ill be happy to no.

UDK = Unreal Dev Kit

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Moz
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.udk.com/

most of the features of it arent very useful for GE building as it's a very modern engine, but at it's base it still a CSG/BSP based system

Slimulation X
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

I know this topic is slightly outdated but i have not visited in a while, and i thought i could provide some useful information.

I'm a UDK developer.
I am also a developer for Goldeneye: Source =]

I am currently employed by Zen Davis Games, working as lead level designer for Pro-Wrestling!, featuring real indy wrestlers from Ring of Honor and Chikara Pro, in a fictional promotion of my own design. I've been learning Unreal 3 for about 2 years, being introduced to it in college courses on game development.

Some recent work examples of the game mentioned above.

^Misaligned wall texture already fixed. No worries

To clear up a few things about UDK, it is NOT a subtractive-based engine anymore. Yes, you can still make maps subtractively..however, when doing so, the map is being treated as an additive world with a huge ass gigantic cube in which you are subtracting from.

Unreal 3 is additive all the way, so the problems you would face in Unreal 2 are not an issue.

However I would like to add that Unreal 3 handles BSP very differently than before (under the hood in hard to comprehend ways). Where BSP was once a highly optimized way of designing levels, especially with all those semi-solid brushes for details, it now deals with BSP very roughly and static meshes are the much more preferred way to map making. I do use ALOT of bsp in my maps, however it is left to solid brushes for simply the base blocking-out processes. The rest are semi-solid (where collisions would be taking place), and non-solid for detail that is outside of the player's reach. Static meshes are the way to go for optimized maps. You can place roughly 100 identical meshes in a map and hurt the performance very little, as it only needs to be loaded ONCE, then it is simply copied. BSP on the other hand, must have calculations made constantly to deal with the collisions and such.

Also, you CAN export maps to OBJ but i think you have to do this by selecting every brush before performing the export.
I hope this helps. I can definitely see using UDK for map making in Goldeneye, just be aware that its not performance friendly if you have a low end machine.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow thats looks cool man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: