ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

The first time you played Perfect Dark...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: The first time you played Perfect Dark... Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so you sat down, opened the box and put it in the N64 and turned it on. What were you expecting?

With me, I was expecting it to be like playing GoldenEye with new levels - and it was! I liked how guards could talk, and how they could Karate chop you and make you feel dizzy. It was refreshing after 3 or 4 years of playing GoldenEye.

After walking around the CI, I knew this game was going to be awesome!

It got better when I opened the Combat Simulator! The addition of bots made it a more enjoyable experience. Rare did a good job in making this game!

Let's face it - expectations were high and with good reason. GoldenEye was (and indeed still is!) a bench-mark game. PD took what was good from GE and added bells and whistles to make it like an all singing/all dancing version of GE.

What were your expectations, and did Perfect Dark exceed them?

(Skorpion)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Singing and dancing? You sound like you are dissing the game a bit there

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty much the same thing. I made the mistake of buying a copy of TWINE, then renting PD a few days later...heh. Ended up buying a copy of PD a few months later half-priced because the store I got it from was going out of business.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Scorpion wrote:
Singing and dancing? You sound like you are dissing the game a bit there.

I used the wrong wording! What I meant to say was that PD took what was great about GE and improved upon it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have to be completely honest. When Perfect Dark was first released, I was totally opposed to it. Not only were we in the middle of some incredible GoldenEye hacking at the time, but I was also a little ticked that Rare opted to work on another FPS that wasn't related to the Bond world. I still try to imagine how awesome PD could've been, had it been based on Tomorrow Never Dies.

Anyways, a few months went by, when my mother happened to come home from the video store with a rented copy of PD. She told me that I should give it a try, since I'd probably like it. Well, she was right. It was quite enjoyable. A similar experience to GoldenEye, only set in a futuristic environment. It featured practically everything GE had, and built upon it. Voice overs, speaking guards, cinematics, secondary functions for weapons, enemies who could fight unarmed, training sessions, a firing range, Co-Operative and Counter-Operative modes, and the best thing they could've possibly made... the Combat Simulator.

The ability to play against - or with - simulants in a one-player setting, gave this game an even greater replay value. The different game modes, customizable weapon sets, character head and body selection, all improved the multiplayer experience.

However, it still didn't 'feel' the same as GoldenEye. Even when I play it today, the controls seem somewhat different to me. Perhaps more or less responsive, I'm not sure. I am far more paranoid in PD, for some reason. And all of these extras they tossed in, though cool, slowed the game down. The framerate drops a lot, especially when a few guards are attacking you. Spawning things in also causes a brief slowdown in missions.

All-in-all, Rare did an amazing job with their follow-up to GoldenEye. Which is never an easy thing to do. Sequels often bomb, but PD was able to keep up with its predicessor. For that, I give them a lot of credit.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was ridiculously excited about PD. It's one of the few games I've actually preordered and got the first day. I played it for 3 hours the first, day got up to Chicago, and stopped. It was good, but not as exciting as GE, I remember being a little annoyed at the levels. But I played a lot of co-op with my friend which was awesome, for months.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Big expectations for sure. The feel of the game disappointed me, and didn't seem to have the GoldenEye touch. I was more looking at PD as the competition to GE, so I kinda resisted PD.

First time playing? Me and a buddy played the training simulator (sorry the actual name escaped me) for about 10 hours straight. That was a total gas. I just remember though in the other elements, the choppy framerate kinda bugged me.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was expecting GoldenEye with some enhancements, but I didn't expect it to be THAT enhanced! I was f***ing blown away by the amazing graphics, pounding music, and the insane amount of options! And that was WITHOUT the Expansion Pak! Very Happy

fantsu

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm...

I kinda wonder this "bad framerate of PD"?

The Goldeneye got more framerate problems than PD (in the explosions much more), but maybe it feels to me like that, 'cause I always played my PD with "low-res", 'cause I really didn't saw the difference in graphics with my crappy TV, only framerate. Maybe your experiences are with high-res...

On the otherhand I also liked the "science fiction" look of the PD. I have always been sci-fi fan, and that was breakthrough for me... a sci-fi agent game, that looks and feels new.

I like old 007 films, but I really never liked Pierce Brosnan and these new James Bond movies so much, and that thing also boost up my feelings for PD.

Don't want to mock GE, I really love that game, and yes, it was "the first-and-only-rare-FPS-game", and always will be, it was so amazing, PD wasn't, at the time, but the more and more I play PD, the deeper it feels, against GE.

twmccoy
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I have to be completely honest. When Perfect Dark was first released, I was totally opposed to it. Not only were we in the middle of some incredible GoldenEye hacking at the time, but I was also a little ticked that Rare opted to work on another FPS that wasn't related to the Bond world. I still try to imagine how awesome PD could've been, had it been based on Tomorrow Never Dies.

Anyways, a few months went by, when my mother happened to come home from the video store with a rented copy of PD. She told me that I should give it a try, since I'd probably like it. Well, she was right. It was quite enjoyable. A similar experience to GoldenEye, only set in a futuristic environment. It featured practically everything GE had, and built upon it. Voice overs, speaking guards, cinematics, secondary functions for weapons, enemies who could fight unarmed, training sessions, a firing range, Co-Operative and Counter-Operative modes, and the best thing they could've possibly made... the Combat Simulator.

The ability to play against - or with - simulants in a one-player setting, gave this game an even greater replay value. The different game modes, customizable weapon sets, character head and body selection, all improved the multiplayer experience.

However, it still didn't 'feel' the same as GoldenEye. Even when I play it today, the controls seem somewhat different to me. Perhaps more or less responsive, I'm not sure. I am far more paranoid in PD, for some reason. And all of these extras they tossed in, though cool, slowed the game down. The framerate drops a lot, especially when a few guards are attacking you. Spawning things in also causes a brief slowdown in missions.

All-in-all, Rare did an amazing job with their follow-up to GoldenEye. Which is never an easy thing to do. Sequels often bomb, but PD was able to keep up with its predicessor. For that, I give them a lot of credit.

I totally agree. As good a game as PD is, I enjoyed Goldeneye a lot more. I just didn't get into the futuristic scenario as much. And you're right about the frame rate. Every time I tried for a headshot when multiple guards were around it would block up and I'd miss. I hated that thin green crosshair too. I could never see it when going for headshots (which I do often). Also annoying is the fact that your weapon will go through bullets faster than it actually fires them, leaving you realoading often. I can't stand this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: