ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Strange that none of the Solo Missions layouts are multi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwakkles
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Strange that none of the Solo Missions layouts are multi? Reply with quote Back to top

Rare decided that none of them would make good multiplayer levels, eh?

Goldeneye 007 had five of its single player level layouts legally (no gameshark/hacking needed) available in multiplayer:

1. Facility
2. Bunker
3. Archives
4. Caverns
5. Egyptian

Rare designed Perfect Dark to have none of its Solo Missions layout as multiplayer/Combat Simulator arenas. The team who made this game must have deemed that not any of those layouts would be good for multiplayer/Combat Simulator. (G5 doesn't count, as it resembles the Solo Missions purely on graphic texture only, not layout.)

I see that PD's Chicago from the Solo Missions is available as an arena in a Goldeneye 007 ROM patch at the vault. Is Chicago the best layout of all the Solo Missions? What other ones would be good for multiplayer?

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, I don't think there is a right or wrong for what would make a good mission layout, but obviously some levels will be better candidates. The dD building has always been an appealing one to be a multi level to me!

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There are beta shots of an Area 51 - labs multiplayer that was canned. That definately came from the original stage.

There are plenty of stages that would make great multiplayers arenas. Krijy's Carrington Villa(s), for instance, were spot-on wonderful, and though I don't like his other stages as much they certainly are good as well. Top three floors of dD, parts of the labs below, Chicago, sections of Area 51, part of the Skedar spacecraft - all would be excellent in CS.

The only few that wouldn't be all that hot would be those that are too straight-forward. G5 building, for instance, wouldn't make sense unless it was combined with Chicago.

[edit]
Forgot to mention, although you need codes to select them, GE also includes MP setups for Cradle and Statue. Both were obviously canned from release due to the weirdness of those stages in MP.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's likely that if multiplayer had been planned for Goldeneye in the first place, like it was with PD, we probably would've ended up with nothing but custom multi-only stages instead of a good mix. While I can't deny that Temple and Complex are good stages, and that Library and Caves are decent, it would've been a travesty if we never got to play Facility, Bunker 2, or Archives in multi.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know. Those guys seemed awfully lazy. Rumour was they tried out every stage before bothering to make new MP stages. Maybe just rumour.

Still, they did seem to at least try out PD solo stages in MP - from what few beta shots we have. They probably ran into the same troubles Krijy did and just started designing all-new ones.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
I don't know. Those guys seemed awfully lazy. Rumour was they tried out every stage before bothering to make new MP stages. Maybe just rumour.

While I can't say the second part is true, I'm pretty sure the thing about trying every stage in multi was on Rare's site at some point. Archive.org has preserved most of their old site but I don't feel like digging through all those years of Scribes to find it. I'd say they at least tried all the ones that have photos available in the multi select menu. Also, Frigate and Aztec have entries in with the multi text strings, "Dest" and "Azt," so it's likely they were in at one point.

I've always wondered if Egyptian was designed for multi and reused as a solo stage, it just has that multi "feel." No entrance, no dead ends, etc.

zoinkity wrote:
Still, they did seem to at least try out PD solo stages in MP - from what few beta shots we have. They probably ran into the same troubles Krijy did and just started designing all-new ones.

I know the shots you're talking about, I was never sure if they were actually from the solo stage or just a scrapped multi map that used the same textures.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All your base are belong to us:

Go one room past the area you meet Jonathan in Escape. That's this room, which is clearly visible in one of the beta shots. Most of the adjoining rooms are locked in solo, but open them up and you make a nice loop. If it works in multiplayer, it would be a great area to play in.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:

What were these problems?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Go one room past the area you meet Jonathan in Escape. That's this room, which is clearly visible in one of the beta shots. Most of the adjoining rooms are locked in solo, but open them up and you make a nice loop. If it works in multiplayer, it would be a great area to play in.

Oh cool, yeah, that's definitely it:

Got the screenshot off SubDrag's old beta PD site.

Looking at it now it's pretty obvious, for some reason I never really took notice to that shot. I know I've been in that room in solo, I guess I just didn't make the connection between them.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kode-Z wrote:
What were these problems?

Crashing. Take, for instance, Crash Site. If you clear out the barriers and try to walk along the pathways you'll eventually reach a room that causes the game to crash. There are a number of these strewn about. When they and the adjoining rooms are visible it overloads the buffer. It applies to many other stages as well.

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

you know would be a good level from solo in multi is either Carrington Institute defense or Air Base based on my opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: