ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Building things in Hammer Editor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flopperr999
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Building things in Hammer Editor Reply with quote Back to top

Three questions i have...

How do you create:

Stairs?
Ladders?
Arches or curved surfaces?

in the hammer editor?

Last edited by flopperr999 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total

The Extremist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can make almost anything almost instantly in 3ds max. Smile

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Building things in Hammer Editor Reply with quote Back to top

flopperr999 wrote:
Three questions i have...

How do you create:

Stairs?

Very easily. Just click the button in the toolbar to reduce the grid size a click or two, use the magnifying glass to zoom in a bit (Not needed, but generally it's easier than working with such a tiny grid), and model them using blocks.

flopperr999 wrote:
Ladders?

GE's ladders are just a flat vertical plain, so model them like a wall, when you import to GE you'll want to add ladder clipping to them with the setup editor.

flopperr999 wrote:
Arches or curved surfaces?

in the hammer editor?

By "curved surfaces" I assume you mean a rounded corner or ceiling, if not specify a bit more. To do a rounded corner draw a block in your corner but don't create it, change "block" in the lower right menu to "arch," then create. A window will pop up, set the wall width to whatever you want, the angle to 90 degrees, number of sides to whatever you want (Remember, you want keep it as low-poly as possible without sacrificing quality for GE), and the start angle to match the direction you need it to face. Click the preview button and if you like it hit OK, then just connect it to the rest of your corridor.

As you may have guessed from the name of the primitive, you make arches the exact same way but you have to rotate it 90 degrees on the Y axis after creating by going to Tools -> Transform.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this. You asked about stairs, if it ever comes up you can make a spiral staircase with clever use of the "wall width" and "add height" options in the arch dialog. Set the wall width to the width you want your stairs to be and the height to the height you want each one to be. Number of sections changes how many stairs you get, and for a full spiral you'll obviously want it to be 360 degrees.

The way this creates it the blocks will extend all the way to the base, so you'll have to ungroup them and manually resize them the way you want, unless you want them to extend to the base that is. You can do more than one spiral this way too, just create another one and line it up so they intersect properly.

flopperr999
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Building things in Hammer Editor Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks so much!!! Stairs and arches I was kind of just curious about. I really needed to know how to make ladders. But thank you so much for helping me!!

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this. You asked about stairs, if it ever comes up you can make a spiral staircase with clever use of the "wall width" and "add height" options in the arch dialog. Set the wall width to the width you want your stairs to be and the height to the height you want each one to be. Number of sections changes how many stairs you get, and for a full spiral you'll obviously want it to be 360 degrees.

The way this creates it the blocks will extend all the way to the base, so you'll have to ungroup them and manually resize them the way you want, unless you want them to extend to the base that is. You can do more than one spiral this way too, just create another one and line it up so they intersect properly.

That sounds like fun Rolling Eyes

Edit: Ah, but wait. I can still texture the ladder with anything, right?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the ladder's texture doesn't matter.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Double posting to make sure you see this, one important thing I forgot about ladders, GE requires the clipping tiles on the floor below and above the ladder to match up with it perfectly. As such, make sure you have a block the same width as your ladder as the floor at the bottom and top of it.

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

flopperr, what is the name of your hammer editor level?

flopperr999
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I post all the info in another thread...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: