ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[WIP] Hammer Map: New Complex @ Aug 12th, '08
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: [WIP] Hammer Map: New Complex @ Aug 12th, '08 Reply with quote Back to top

I have this habit. When I want to make something simple for testing purposes, it ends up turning into something much bigger. First it was the Castle, and now it's my own take on a Complex-esque style map. What began as a railing test, has evolved into the following images.

Ventilation...

Entrance...

Workstation...

Dual Ramps...

Overhead A...

I'll try to stick at this one, which has been going pretty well, other than losing about two hours worth of progress earlier, of which I've completely redone. Not sure where I'm going with it, so I'll just go where it takes me. Any ideas are welcome.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Last edited by Wreck on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 5 times in total

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I personally was never a fan of the complex.

But thus far, this looks like an improvement over the original.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ooh, nice. That definitely looks like it's from Complex, I bet you could convince people that it's an unused part of the original map when it's finished.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Impressive! Very Happy

It looks like it will be better than the original!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Considering how popular the Complex map is for multiplayer matches, I'm quite happy to hear your comments. I'm not really trying to match the original, other than with the texture styling, so this'll offer up a very new experience. It's mainly being built with multi in mind, as I'd rather put out a nice arena for everyone to battle it out in. Surely it'd work as a mission, but that's not the focus.

Anyways, I've since added a few more pictures to my first post. I'll probably take a break from it tonight, but hopefully can get back to it tomorrow. I'm surprised at the progress rate thus far. Fingers crossed that I don't run into any mental blocks when I pick it back up.

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very cool looking! Complex with a different layout is a great idea! Very Happy

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

that is cool Very Happy

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Been at it for a few hours today. Finished off most of a room, and am about to begin on another. However, I had a question regarding the map...

Q: Should I include secret wall indents, like in Complex?

So far, I don't have any. I did make use of the vent cover in an area, but haven't put in the faux wall. I know this is one of the things that made the original map unique, which makes me wonder if I should or shouldn't stick a few in mine. What do you guys think?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'd definitely include some, but rather than just having them be alcoves to hide in I'd make them into shortcuts through the level. Of course including some alcoves along with shortcuts is fine too.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a shot of another new room. Not sure if it'll see any changes, but you never know what may happen as you continue to build...

I'll probably stick in the odd secret wall, but I may make them more realistic. Maybe just use vent covers, rather than leave no trace of an extra location behind a plain wall. I'm also definitely going to make some small vent someplace to connect two areas together.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really like that room, it's just interesting to look at. Is that the room in your fourth screenshot through the door? The railing in there kind of makes it look like it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You are absolutely correct, sir. Smile
I'm trying to keep every room with a different layout, so that nothing seems repetitive. The room branching off from the fifth picture has seen a few incarnations already, but I'm still not satisfied with it. I don't want it to look or feel too much like anything else currently present. It'll see further modification shortly.

Only one more 'main' room to go, then connecting some bits and pieces together. Again, I have no plans on what to do, so it'll just be me throwing up some walls and floors until I like what's happening.

Edit: Figured I'd post another overhead view of the map in its current state, just to show where it's going. It'll go out further to the left, connecting together each of the side rooms. There will likely be a vent system or two, as well.

Edit: Here's another shot of near completed room. It may see some slight change, or added vent textures or labels.

Edit: And another of the 'ramp around' room. Notice the vent on the left lower wall. It connects to another room just beyond and around the corner, giving players an extra access way.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One of the two 'main' rooms is pretty much complete, barring some slight changes. This features three floors, much like the one bridge area in Complex. The entrance into the basement willl be in the final room. If you notice the vent on the middle-right, that's what the 'ramp around' room connects to. It's all coming together pretty well.

Edit: I've worked on the final rooms, cleaned up a bit, and included a new area through a crawl vent in a room that felt like it needed something. There's still more work ahead, but it's nearly all built. So, here's a couple more shots of the current map...

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I modified the ceilings that I thought were too low, raising them up a unit (on a 32 grid). This should help keep the level at a better scale. Other than that, I've toyed with the textures in the tunnel areas. I'm still not totally sure yet, but I am feeling the new look. It adds more depth and character. However, I wanted an opinion or two before I make the decision to keep it.

Old...

New...

Which do you prefer?

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

new is more stylish, with more contrast, which is nice, but needs something in between that marks the transition, like a door maybe, or perhaps something arround the edges that helps avoiding those two surfaces to intersect. (can't come up with the right word, I'm not a native english speaker)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: