ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[WIP] Hammer Map: New Complex @ Aug 12th, '08
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like that texture there, that's the one usually used on the Facility's ceiling in a few places.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's also used the odd time in the original Complex on a few ceilings. Well, it may not be that exact texture, as there are two similar ones. But it's mighty close. I tried using it on the ceilings throughout the stage, though it didn't really seem any better. When I slapped them on the tunnels, I kind of liked it. Now it's grown on me quite a bit. It adds a lot more to those areas.

I'm trying to becareful with how many textures I'm using on this one, as I don't want it to bog down the performance. By adding a "border" around the tunnel edges to try and mask the two walls together at the corners, it's increasing the amount of data that will need to be processed as those areas are loaded in. I sort of know what you mean, but I don't think it's a big enough concern to add more to the workload. I am still playing with this, though.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I don't think it really needs a border, I don't think the two textures clash at all really.

I completely forgot about that texture also being used in the original Complex.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think that both textures look good, but the new one does add a good feel to the level! Very Happy

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll try with a graphical example of my suggestion.

for the border, you could just reuse some texture from the same scene and shade it with a distinctive color, or just shading with no texture (although I don't know if GE supports that).

But of course this is just a suggestion, and since it your level, your taste prevails, and it also looks good without it, but if it was my level, I'd probably add something like that.

flopperr999
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I like the first choice much better. I just think it fits the rest of the map. The whole map is practically grey, and then a black corridor? I just don't think the second choice works.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

it doesn't have to be blue, it was just an example. it could well be yet another shade of gray if that's the objection.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think Flopper is talking about my choice of the newer texture in those tunnels, not the border you've shown in your example. It isn't 'black', but a deep grey with blueish linings. Though the choice hasn't been made as of yet, it seems as though most, who have commented thus far, have liked the contrast between the tunnels and the rest of the map. I'll continue to play around with this and see what other options open up.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

uh, yeah, now that I read better, you are right.
I goofed hehe. Sorry flopper

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've played with the textures in the tunnel some more, but decided to move onto other matters and leave that for later. So, I fixed up an area, and built a new vent system to connect two areas together underground. It's the only other means of entering / exiting the basement room, as well.

Basement Vent...

Upper Vent...

Basement Path...

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I decided to try putting an area of the map into GoldenEye, just to see how it looks and feels. At first it looked really wrong, but I managed to figure out why. There are a few ugly spots at the moment, though. It's mainly the flooring and room 2's hallway, which should both be addressed in the actual release. I think the level scale will remain at about 0.9, as that's what I liked most while testing. I'd also like to point out that while the current look of the map may seem rather 'bright', it'll be darkened later on. The railings will also likely be changed into a red tone. Anyways, here's the first shot of the Complex II in-game...

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Since you figured it out, what's causing the textures to get that "compressed" look in places? Is it a problem with exporting to .obj or importing to the editor? I know it doesn't show in Crafty while viewing the map so I don't think it's related to Hammer itself, I could be wrong though.

I haven't tried importing any of my new map to the game yet, I really should though, I have a feeling a few rooms are just going to be too small in-game. I have a terrible sense of scale until I'm actually walking around in the map.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not exactly sure what's causing the compression-like image problem, actually. It was a different issue I had corrected with my textures. I haven't even tried to play around with the other one, yet. You're right, though. The images appear fine in .obj form while viewing them in Crafty. So that means it could be Editor related...

GE Rage 'moved' his rooms around in Hammer to help reduce the chances of it occuring in his map. I'd like to keep everything where it is, so the coordinates for each room can be the same. But if that's not going to happen, I'll have to move them back into place afterwards with the Editor.

DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Skorps.Smile
I've spent the last two nights trying to figure out why certain portions of the rooms end up having 'compressed' looking textures. After staring at binary files and drawing out diagrams, I did find something out. The vertice points and the indices are all fine. It is only the texture coordinates (which are inside the vertice file) that are causing a fuss. It's usually the X or the Z that doesn't contain the right sizing data. If you notice in some screenshots, though most evident in GERage's "Janus Research Center", you'll see that those messed up textures are only 'partly' messed up. The height or width is often fine, but it repeats too many times the other way. This gives it a 'compressed' look.

By manually changing the values in the vertice file for the texture coordinates, I was successfully able to fix a room which was almost entirely screwed. The walls, ceiling and floor, all suffered. Only a small section of flooring, and an even smaller part of the wall, were okay. Once I had manipulated the data, everything else came out proper.

Before...

After...

Now, I'm not sure how this can be brought into the automation process during conversion yet, but I've asked Sub about adding a new ability to the Editor, where we can modify the texture coords on-the-spot. Hopefully, he'll find some time to try and add this in. It may be one of the only ways to get around this texture issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: