ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Diagonal Railing Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Diagonal Railing Problem Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm stumped. In pretty much every stage with stairs Rare put a nice, realistic diagonal railing on the stairs. This is the easy part, I've already got that modeled. The hard part is texturing it, somehow Rare got the vertical bars of their railings, even when running diagonally, to stay vertical, while the horizontal bars are sloped. I figured this was its own texture but looking through Facility's textures that doesn't appear to be the case. How did they manage to pull this off? I thought maybe the different parts of the railing were different polygons but that doesn't appear to be the case either, four tris make up the railings, two for the sides, two for the top.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is a surprisingly small amount of tris on the facility railing. Their uv coords are 1, 0.2, and 1, 1, and -4, 1, so I guess that somehow does it?

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

do you mean like this?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8884/barandillapi8.jpg

in both the horizontal and diagonal parts of the railing I use the same texture, which is a simple 32x32 texture that has 2 of those vertical columns.

In the diagonal part, I have to skew the texture to align it.
I did this in sketchup, that has a graphical texture mapping interface with pin references you can clip to any part of the texture or the underlying geometry which helps map it with ease. I haven't used Hammer yet so I don't know how to do the same with it, but looking at the game I'm sure the same concept applies.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No, Hammer doesn't have any way to manipulate the textures like that, all it has is rotation and shifting. I guess I'll just texture them vertically for now, then play around with the uv coords once I import to GE.

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quite strange to lack such a feature. It doesn't make much sense Confused
There ought to be a way to do it. Maybe there's some updated version that can do it?

It got me interested and I searched.
Las time I searched, the highest version I could found to download was 3.4

Now I searched a bit and wikipedia has this to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Hammer_Editor#Version_3.5
It mentions an "Improved texture application tool". Maybe that's it.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've had problems with that version in the past, my camera viewpoint would occasionally get stuck and it couldn't be unstuck without starting a new map, even loading the RMF in the old version wouldn't fix it. I don't recall anything added to the texture dialog either, but I could be wrong.

It's not all that surprising that it isn't supported though, Half-Life never did anything like that with map textures.

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to hear that.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess it's more of a level "builder" than modeller? Can you manually modify u,v coords in hammer?

The Extremist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Can you manually modify u,v coords in hammer?

You can in 3ds max. Smile

I mean, it's 10 million times better at least! Wink

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
I guess it's more of a level "builder" than modeller? Can you manually modify u,v coords in hammer?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you think you just piece together preassembled chunks of map or something like that, no, it's nothing like that, you make your maps using primitive shapes. It's used for mapping, not making character models or anything of the sort, it's what was used to create almost every Half-Life map you see out there. It just happens to lack this one feature because the game it's intended for never does anything like that with its textures.

The Extremist wrote:
You can in 3ds max. Smile

I mean, it's 10 million times better at least! Wink

I couldn't care less, because it's at least 10 million times harder to learn too. Razz

Maybe you would like to make a thread where you walk people through making their first map with 3ds max? Nothing wrong with that, but please stop posting this in the Hammer threads, you're certainly not going to convert me, I've used the program in the past and can't stand it.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
Maybe you would like to make a thread where you walk people through making their first map with 3ds max? Nothing wrong with that, but please stop posting this in the Hammer threads, you're certainly not going to convert me, I've used the program in the past and can't stand it.

It's pretty easy to use it if you read the incredibly detailed help file. Cool

Now Unreal Editor, there's an impossible modeller! Sad

(Skorpion)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Addressing The Extremist about his 3DS Max / Unreal Editor comments.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Skorpion wrote:
and other users who have already told you to quit it.

Nobody's explictly told me to stop.

If you want me to stop, say so. I hate vaguely implied orders.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Come on, people, calm down.
Let's just make levels and hack codes for goldeneye and quit fighting, shall we?

Dragonsbrethren, I think what SubDrag meant by "builder" in contrast to "modeler" is that it is more concerned with the functional aspects of the level than fine cosmetic works.
From what I gather of what I have read about hammer (as I said, I haven't used it yet), these "brushes" not only consist of mere polygon geometry but also the very physics of the level and other aspects, and so the need for compiling the maps. As Goldeneye is concerned, only the polygon geometry is useful -which is recovered by that bsp2obj program- and the rest is ignored as it's not useful to GE.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I meant no disrespect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: