ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

I'm finally building a new computer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How its going with the PC?

Not heard much since a long time so it be nice to know if you got it all set up so far?

acceptable67

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol I clicked this topic so I can revive it as well, how is this PC? Any future plans for upgrades?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A little over 5 years later, I'm contemplating a new build. This old one still works great, but I want something with a little more processing power but still low power consumption. It's amazing how much desktop computer components have advanced over the past several years and how today's "low end" stuff is still considerably faster than the high-end stuff of 5 years ago.

Also after 12 years, I may finally retire Windows 2000 and install Windows 7 on my new build. It's not something I want to do, but software compatibility with Windows 2000 is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

The 4 TB of storage will be used for 2 TB storage and 2 TB backup. I've accumulated quite a large video library over the years (mainly stuff I've archived from tv via my tuner card - quite a few entire tv series).

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's in my personal opinion that I think it'd be more beneficial down the long run to invest into a quad core processor -- AMD or Intel. You never know when you'll eventually need it and you'll definitely see a speed boost regarding the stability of your programs. The build itself looks good.

Last edited by acceptable67 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AC67 may be right, quad core could be beneficial but you're build looks fine to me for what you might be using it for.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know its only dual core, but its pretty fast for a dual core (has a Passmark score of about 3200) and performs right up there with some of the lower-end quad core CPUs on the market. Its 3x faster than my current build (a BE-2300 dual core AMD processor with a passmark score just over 1000). The integrated graphics are also about 3x faster than my current Radeon x800 card.

http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/Intel/Pentium_G2140.html

It ranks right up there with some of AMDs APU quad core processors.

Also keep in mind my requirement for low power consumption/low heat generation.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Reviewing the chart it seems that you're fine. I was surprised to see the processor itself equivalent to nearly an AMD Phenom X4.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Phenom X4 810 came out in 2009 and retailed on Newegg for $170. Price came down to $116 late in 2010. Now on ebay it goes for about $65 new.

The roughly equivalent graphics card to compare to the integrated graphics is the GeForce GT 610. It retails for about $40 new.

It amazes me that the amount of processing and graphics power from the above items can be crammed into a dual core CPU which only consumes 55w of power and retails for $70 new. The power draw on the above 2 items combined would be at least double that (I believe the X4 is 90 watts)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: