ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

How to port Halo PC/CE & Halo 2 maps into GE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: How to port Halo PC/CE & Halo 2 maps into GE Reply with quote Back to top

Ok now I remember the process! First thing you need to port Halo PC maps (or Halo 2 maps should work) into GE is of course the game. You could use the maps alone, so no need to get the whole game if you’re not interested. Anyways the two utilities you need to convert the .map to an .obj/.mtl is HEK+ to extract the .scenario_structure_bsp and .bitmap tags from the map itself. Then what you need is BSP Tag Converter 2.5 to convert these tags into an .obj with .mtl and bitmaps.

Get HEK+ http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2031&pg=3
Get BSP Tag Converter 2.5 http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=2029

Now the first thing you have to do is open a .map in HEK+ and extract the folder found inside called “levels”
This is what you should see in HEK+

Now extract the folder levels somewhere where you will have the project files later on.
This is what “levels” looks like, it contains folders with the bitmaps from which you will get the textures, and the two tags you'll need to get an .obj/.mtl which are the .scneario_structure_bsp and .bitmap files in levels/test/*mapname*/

Now after you have this, open the BPS Tag Converter and set the default tags folder to the folder where you have extracted the levels folder. Now open the .scenario_structure_bsp and if everything is good, you should see all the textures and get no error messages. This is what you should see.

Now notice that the option “Use quotation on Image Links” is unchecked, this is because you can not have quotations in your .obj or in your .mtl and we will have to remove some quotations manually later on. Now just click “Convert Model” and it will extract the .obj and .mtl to the levels/test/*mapname*/ folder. The bitmaps are extracted into the folders in “levels”. To know exactly which bitmaps are used and where they are extracted, open your .mtl file with Notepad and make sure to get all the bitmaps used in it.

Now is when we start moving along into SubDrag's Hammer tutorial. Get the .obj, .mtl, and bitmaps in the same folder. Open the .obj file with Notepad and replace(Ctrl+H) all “ with nothing. Save and do the same with the .mtl but you must also remove the paths before the bitmaps, and there can be no spaces in the bitmap names. So for example metal plate floor.bmp should be changed to metal_plate_floor.bmp. (Only rename the lines with .bmp at the end)

.obj file

.mtl file

When you are done removing all paths and renaming all the bitmaps in the .mtl, save it and rename the bitmaps in the folder. Note that you MUST resize all bitmaps to either 32x32, 32x64 or 64x32 and you must change their color to 256 colors(8-bit). So far, so good. Now all you need to do is follow SubDrag's tutorial, and you will be able to edit the Halo map in the Editor. Good luck! So far the only issue with these maps is that the map's geometry somehow allows bullets to go through walls and floors so you are able to hit anyone from anywhere in the level.... I hope someone can find a fix for this, it could probably be fixed when converting the tags, so go ahead and experiment to see what happens.

Some notes:
- Some Halo maps use a texture called c10_inv.bmp i believe, you must remove it from the obj and .mtl because it shows up in GE as an invisible texture or as a black polygon suspended in the air.

- You have to be careful with clipping and what you clip, remember to use the "F" key while clipping tris in Room Positions to save time.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks very much! I hope to see more Halo maps in GE! I will add this to goldeneyevault as a tutorial soon.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Preserved in:
http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=118

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The link for HEK+ is actually this one http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=1489

don't know why the other one was changed

In HEK+ all you do is load up the .map, find the levels folder, right click it then extract it to wherever you want. If you're on Vista you may experience crashing so what I suggest is the following:

Open the map by clicking on the open button (not through File > Open)
Then to extract the levels folder, drag it into the Tag Extraction Queue box, deselect "Save Extracted Tag List" and then right click the folder and extract it, or if not "Start"

HackBond

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I get an error with BSP tag extractor i gt an eror message saying some shaders could be missing

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok so I was giving this another try after a while, forgot almost everything about how to do this and got real rusty.

I did get the missing shaders error a few times but you have to be sure everything is set right, specifically the default tag folder in the BSP converter.

When you extract the levels folder by dragging it into the Tag Extraction Queue in HEK+, it extracts all the level files to a user specified folder. That folder is the one you must set as the Default Tags directory in the BSP converter.

You MUST ALSO set this folder as the default folder in HEK+ by going to Tools -> Options and then the Plugins section.

Once everything is set, you should be able to open the .scenario_structure_bsp in the BSP Converter and it should load all the shaders and materials.

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

long time no see, mr r.e.l., glad to have you back Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: