ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

flat shading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: flat shading Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering if it's possible to use flat-shading for levels in GE, and how should it be done, if it is.
Since textures are to be used with caution in N64, and already many games do use flat and gouraud shading in many games to help reduce texture use, I thought it would be wise to follow that path for things that lent themselves to be "painted" that way.

I know the editor already allows for gouraud shading over textured surfaces, but what I wanted to know is if it is possible to flat/gouraud shade an untextured tri so one can avoid having to use, for example, a small blank texture, since that would defeat the very purpose of all this.

My doubt comes from the fact that I can't think of examples of simple flat/gouraud shaded surfaces in goldeneye's levels or objects, which makes me suspect that the game's engine doesn't actually implement that, maybe...

SubDrag? anyone?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It is supported by the game...but not my editor (and no plans to add it, sorry!).

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh... Sad

I think it would be something good to have, and could probably help speed the game up. Moreover, for reproducing mario64's stuff, as I'm doing, flat/gouraud is necessary.

Anyway, if you are not adding this to the editor, what's the smallest size and format I should use for the blank texture method?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think 1 x 1 works. Sorry, it's really tough to add and I never really got it going right Sad

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pity.
Maybe it really doesn't work right in the game, even if it seems to be supported, because I can't think of any use of it in the game.
Everything seems to be textured, or am I missing something?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Almost nothing uses it, from what I can tell. The beta triangular thing uses it, some random parts of the Runway do on the snow, but it's not used all that often (don't know if it's supported right in editor, I don't think so either).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: