ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Runway Air Show
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Runway Air Show Reply with quote Back to top

Just me playing around. I was thinking it would be cool to have planes constantly flying over a possible Chicago solo level.

http://www.battlefieldforever.com/hackers/misc/ge/runwayairshow.mpg
http://www.battlefieldforever.com/hackers/misc/ge/urunwayairshowsetupz.bin

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty cool idea there, quite realistic too! Smile

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Other than four planes taking off at once next to each other Laughing Sure looks cool though.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mmm

It's an interesting concept.
What about changing the animation? Too much I guess.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those would be pretty cool in Chicago, especially if you put them really high up in the sky.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is the plane veers up and to the right at the end, and I don't think it's long enough to be useful in Chicago unfortunately.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a real shame we can't import new sounds into GE. Since we usually make one level, we could add huge awesome sounds just for the one level (replace all the other levels sounds), and make some fantastic levels with voice. Bummer.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I fixed a bug in the editor with the plane type. Apparently the action block wasn't being assigned properly. I recompiled the release version and the beta, so grab either if you need to use planes.

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
It's a real shame we can't import new sounds into GE. Since we usually make one level, we could add huge awesome sounds just for the one level (replace all the other levels sounds), and make some fantastic levels with voice. Bummer.

Sounds would be nice, indeed.
I'd try to get, for example, the original sounds of mario 64's doors, and not just the textures, for my castle port.
What's stopping sound mods from happening? Not really useful for me to know, although I'd like to hear, so don't take time away from anything important to tell me. Just if you feel like telling... for the sake of it.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess what's stopping sound mods is that we have no idea how sound is done on N64? Does anyone know who could help? Images are easy because they are established formats. How does sound work...

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Years ago, when I got my first computer and started knowing about roms, emulation and such, I somehow hit dextrose and there was a tool called Srip I think, that would rip sound banks from n64 roms.

I managed to rip sounds for some games, but the only I can remember that I ripped was Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, a game I had.
By then I was a little let down by the fact that I could only rip sound samples, because what I wanted was music. In the case of SOTE the soundtrack is actually lowres waves that were in the standard sound format, so they could be ripped.

I'll check if it works on GE rightaway, but knowing Rare's custom of developping their own technology middleware... I wouldn't count on it.

Report in a few minutes!!

EDIT: OK, it does work, there doesn't seem to be any automated tool to reinstert the ripped and/or edited samples, but at least it does rip. It's a start.

SRip: N64 Sound Bank Ripper (the one I knew)
http://www.dextrose.com/index.php?s=3&m=8&f=784

Sound Lib Extractor 0.9
http://www.dextrose.com/index.php?s=3&m=8&f=206

Sound Bank Explorer 1.0
http://www.dextrose.com/index.php?s=3&m=19&f=1077

These last two seem to work in tandem and are a bit complex but also seem to offer more information.

A video tutorial with example at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTWQwneP54

Could you integrate this in the editor, Subdrag? Cool

Last edited by radorn on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If I could just find the source for srip, I think we could be on our way towards importing sound samples...

I'm far more interested in the sound fx than music.

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Of course, sound effects are far more useful than instrument samples because just changing them would probably make the music sound bad, so it would be necessary to also get the grip of the music script format and have some musicians compose some music or rearrange the existing tunes.
Too much of a longshot, even for me, that am always bugging about far fetched stuff. Maybe in a distant future... who knows...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can you imagine have Pierce Brosnan's real voice in GE?

If you can find N64 manuals or something to help us, please do. I'd love to find someone who knows how this works because it's be realllllly nice.

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Look at the tutorial link.
He walks you through a modification of mario64's thwomp's sound which he showcases at the end of the video.
I'm afraid I can't do much more than what I just did pointing you to that info.
I'll try to find something else. Googling for "n64 srip" or "n64 sound banks" seems to turn up quite a few Spanish pages, so I could translate them if they contain something that's not found already in English, but I doubt there will be too much of that.

Last edited by radorn on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: