ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Any plans for Area 52 and Base maps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storm101
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Any plans for Area 52 and Base maps? Reply with quote Back to top

Both are multiplayer levels from Perfect Dark. I was wondering if either of these were currently being made or if there were any plans for them in the near future?

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have been working on a handful of Perfect Dark ports - Base being one of them. At the moment, I'm currently working on Crash Site multi (which should be finished soon! Very Happy). I can't remember how far I got clipping wise with Base, but it would make for a great port.

I'll keep you posted! Very Happy

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Kode-Z I was wondering how you handled clipping for falls in PD like from ledges, cliffs, holes, etc since obviously GE doesn't "support" this. I have tried the clipping the fall wall method but what if there is no wall below the ledge? Help would be appreciated Smile

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was working on Area 52, ran into some clipping issues and lost interest in it. Maybe I'll release the files publicly and someone else can finish it up if they want, I'll have to look and see if I copied those of my old computer or not.

Fun fact, the sky and cloud colors in PD are exactly same as the ones used by Depot in GE:

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey I wanna try that Area 52 map since I have never really hacked a PD map.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

r.e.l. 237 wrote:
Hey Kode-Z I was wondering how you handled clipping for falls in PD like from ledges, cliffs, holes, etc since obviously GE doesn't "support" this. I have tried the clipping the fall wall method but what if there is no wall below the ledge? Help would be appreciated Smile

Clipping can be a pain to sort out, especially from scratch! I recently did Skorpion's yet-to-be-released "Stadium" multi map from scratch, so I know how tough it can be!

Ledge drops are frequently used in GoldenEye - jumping from the Dam, dropping from the Facility vent, the fall at the end of Surface 1, the beginning section of Aztec to name a few. If there is no wall, you would have to place vertical clipping tiles between each floor - for example, if I wanted the drop in GE's Temple to exist like in the PD version, I would place vertical clipping tiles leading from the four sides on the top level to the bottom level, then make sure that the clipping tiles match up accordingly on the floor below. As I'm sure you know, tiles have to meet point to point otherwise the clipping is useless.

For Ravine, I made it possible to fall off a few ledges. I can't remember the exact details of how the game calculates it, but if the vertical tiles are "normal" clipping tiles and exceed a certain height, it lets you drop from the ledge, but not climb it.

What I did to get started is to study the clipping in Rare's levels, then apply the same methodology to the clipping that I do in the PD ports.

Clipping is one of those subjects that's hard to explain, but easy to pick up. It's strange! Very Happy I hope I've answered your question!

Storm101
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice to hear Base is being worked on. I eagerly await it's completion. Do you have a estimate on when it will be done?

Yeah, I hope someone finishes Area 52. That's probably my favorite PD multi level.

Speaking of clipping, couldn't whoever made Fortress have just used ladders to ascend between the levels instead of just blocking the lower portion off? Obviously Goldeneye doesn't "support" elevators, but wouldn't ladders work fine?

flopperr999
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Storm101 wrote:
but wouldn't ladders work fine?

Unfortunately, no. In Goldeneye, ladder clipping glitches. In Bond's screen, it appears as Bond is walking up a ladder. However, in Natalya's screen, Bond appears as if he's walking into the ladder, then warps up when he reaches the top. This is why ladders are not used in multiplayer Sad

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kode-Z wrote:
r.e.l. 237 wrote:

Clipping can be a pain to sort out, especially from scratch! I recently did Skorpion's yet-to-be-released "Stadium" multi map from scratch, so I know how tough it can be!

Ledge drops are frequently used in GoldenEye - jumping from the Dam, dropping from the Facility vent, the fall at the end of Surface 1, the beginning section of Aztec to name a few. If there is no wall, you would have to place vertical clipping tiles between each floor - for example, if I wanted the drop in GE's Temple to exist like in the PD version, I would place vertical clipping tiles leading from the four sides on the top level to the bottom level, then make sure that the clipping tiles match up accordingly on the floor below. As I'm sure you know, tiles have to meet point to point otherwise the clipping is useless.

For Ravine, I made it possible to fall off a few ledges. I can't remember the exact details of how the game calculates it, but if the vertical tiles are "normal" clipping tiles and exceed a certain height, it lets you drop from the ledge, but not climb it.

What I did to get started is to study the clipping in Rare's levels, then apply the same methodology to the clipping that I do in the PD ports.

Clipping is one of those subjects that's hard to explain, but easy to pick up. It's strange! Very Happy I hope I've answered your question!
hmm thanks a lot i do get what ur saying about picking it up, but at first its intimidating. i will try and do my homework and get a bit of help from subdrag Very Happy

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you need any further help with clipping related questions r.e.l, feel free to PM me. Very Happy

Storm101 wrote:
Nice to hear Base is being worked on. I eagerly await it's completion. Do you have a estimate on when it will be done?

I can make a start on it today. I do the clipping all manually, so I can't give an accurate date as to when it's completed, but maybe a three or four weeks if I work on it everyday.

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hey dragonsbrethren, i'd like to give area 52 a shot

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, turns out I uploaded the files to my webspace already:

http://dragonsbrethren.slickproductions.org/files/goldeneye/area52_ge2.zip

The clipping isn't too bad in this one, except none of the ladders are functional because I wasn't aware the clipping tiles at the top and bottom of them had to line up perfectly when I made this. When I started lining up tiles I made a real mess of things, so this is probably a better starting point. I'd suggest copying the BG file and texture ROM from the new PD pack.

DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

im tryin to load the level ingame with ur clipping and setup but it just refuses to show up. the music starts but then it freezes and there is nothing wrong with the intro block.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You are using the new ROM of textures? I wonder if the old one had duplicate textures and now the new one it's fixed, so they don't correspond. Do textures look right in editor? If so it's ok.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: