ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Nintendo 64 N64/Playstation 2 PS2 USB Cable PC Adapter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You received an Adaptoid, TAKA???? or was it a boom n64+psx adapter?

Extremist:

I think the premade adapters are in fact available:
http://www.raphnetshop.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php

The DIY parallel port adapter seems to support rumble paks, but not other paks (controller pak, gameboy pak, and other rarer ones). Not important for GE I guess, and Nrage can emulate the rest, anyway.

About the usb to parallel adapters, the answer is definitelly "no".
These are only good fir printers and nothing else. they are not real parallel ports and dont really behave like them out of the printer context.
Windows doesn't see them as parallel ports and use a different driver specially made to "wrap" arround the conected printer's driver.
While the printer (if compatible, not all of them are, I think) receives the correct signals from the adapter, Windows doesn't add a parallel port to the system, but a usb printing device.

http://forums.vnunet.com/message.jspa?messageID=806224

To connect parallel devices other than printers to a system that has no pci card, you need a PCI PCI-E (dont´t think these exist) or PCM-CIA add-in card, USB won't work.

Last edited by radorn on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total

TAKA Michinoku9.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Does anybody here use a Nintendo 64 controller to play goldeneye if so could you please save the controller configuration and send it to me because these things are really sensitive and it just acts like my controller is pressing right on the analogue stick so i cannot set it up Sad i would be really grateful for any assistance thanks Smile

"For over 30 Years the IRA showed that the British Government could not rule Ireland on its on terms. You asserted the right of the people of this island to freedom and independance, many of your comrades have paid the ultimate sacrafice in order to bring the freedom struggle forward towards its obtainment."
Gerry Adams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V3AEgStKvE

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TAKA, what kind of adapter do you have, adaptoid or boom?

I guess it's boom, since you seem to have calibration problems.
I have one of these too, from before I got the adaptoid.
These come calibrated for PS controllers, so, if you use them for N64, you need to calibrate them first.

There should be an item in Windows' control panel for it, which will offer you a calibration wizard.

EDIT: also, these tend to act up, registering fake presses and stuff. Not sure how to solve it.

TAKA Michinoku9.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i cannot set it up using my controller because the joystick is kind of wonky so i need the actual setup for the controller saved so i do not have to set it up myself Smile

"For over 30 Years the IRA showed that the British Government could not rule Ireland on its on terms. You asserted the right of the people of this island to freedom and independance, many of your comrades have paid the ultimate sacrafice in order to bring the freedom struggle forward towards its obtainment."
Gerry Adams

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really don't get what you are asking for.
have you tried what I suggested you?

if you don't calibrate the controller in the windows joystick properties wizard, any configuration you do on the n64 input plugin is totally useless.
you need to calibrate FIRST, and the configure the emulator.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Taka: are you saying that your actual N64 controller has a faulty analogue stick? Like after years of use and abuse, it's gotten really loose and doesn't respond so well anymore? If that is so, no matter what, your computer might still have trouble identifying what direction you're pointing towards, even with it setup and callibrated properly. If it is your controller, it may be time to get a new one.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

TAKA Michinoku9.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i am gonna get a new one which i was planning to do actually it just means i will have to wait longer then Sad ah well i guess the wait will be worth it in the end Smile

Gerry Adams

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

as I said before, if what you have, TAKA, is the boom adapter, which looks like this, although the color may difer (mine is green)

https://www.cliffracer.com/store/images/n64_psx_usb.jpg

if that's what you have, and not the adaptoid, and you see that the controller stick makes false readings, or fake button pushes, the fault is probably not the controller but the adapter.

They are not very high quality. Don't buy another controller if it's just to get it to work with the adapter. It may solve the problem, but it may also make it worse. I have 5 n64 controllers, all of them original nintendo brand ones, and some work better than others when connected to the adapter, IN THE SAME SESSION. And then, a random amount of time later, the controller that worked well would start working bad and viceversa. THEY ALLWAYS WORK FINE ON THE REAL N64 UNIT.

The boom adapter is just NOT RELIABLE.

I bought 1 from liksang in 2002/3 and it's been having large periods when it did not work right and then hours/days/weeks/months later it would work perfectly, or acceptably at least.

If your actual controller works well ON YOUR N64 CONSOLE, the fault is the adapter.

EDIT: read this, also, if you haven't:
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=16748

The Extremist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
Extremist:

I think the premade adapters are in fact available:
http://www.raphnetshop.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php

I was talking about the rumble-supported parallel port adapters.

Anyways, I looked it up, and you're right about parallel-to-USB not being a straight conversion. Oh well... Sad

TAKA Michinoku9.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My controllers do work fine on the console but the joysticks on all 3 three of them have been worn out for hours of Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie, Super Mario 64, Mario kart 64 and various others so they are a bit abused as Wreck said and the joystick could not take all the hours of play and they just got worn out but with a new one i will be able to play all my games perfectly again Very Happy i still remember countless hours of Mario Kart with 3 friends ah the good old days Very Happy which if all goes right i can recreate because while the 360 and wii are good i still think the orignal games are better Very Happy

Gerry Adams

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Extremist wrote:
Anyways, I looked it up, and you're right about parallel-to-USB not being a straight conversion. Oh well... Sad

I once also considered them as a means to interface old gaming hardware (gamesahrk, backup units, etc) to modern pcs with no parallel, specially these new small laptops.
I was quickly told that it would not work, which crushed my hopes down like yours now xD. Still I was suspecting the possibility of them not working because most come with a centronics connector rather than DB25, and every adapter I could find had "for printers" somewhere in the description. None of them specifically said other devices wouldn't work, so I was in the limbo of ignorance, which kept my hopes up Sad .

Anyway, TAKA, please, try to describe your problem with the adapter.
when you look at the windows josystick calibration dialog, do you see the stick meters moving, button presses etc without you touching anything?
If that's so, try to leave the adapter and controller connected for a good while and it may correct itself.
And now that I think of it, it may be a bit silly to ask this, but have you switched the thing to N64 position? If you haven't (I didn't realize it myself at first when I got mine), it could explain the false readings too.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
I was quickly told that it would not work, which crushed my hopes down like yours now xD.

I have a parallel port, but what makes me disappointed is that mass-production wouldn't do so well, because parallel ports are becoming scarce like floppy drives. I had been hoping that somebody (or even me, maybe Wink) could make a few bucks off of these things...

TAKA Michinoku9.1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn: yes i did have it switched to N64 the problem is when i try to change a button it reacts as if the down or right direction is being pressed on the analogue stick so trying to do something as simple as setting the A button become completely impossible Sad but i am hoping that the problem will be resolved with my new controller and if it does not sort it it will not be a total waste of money since i need a new N64 controller anyway Laughing

Gerry Adams

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

then try to leave it connected permanently. seems to behave better when it gets a good "heat-up".

TAKA Michinoku9.1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Does anybody here know where i can get software to use my 360 Controller on my laptop for Goldeneye i just got a Play and Charge Kit

Gerry Adams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: