ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Thickness smaller than 1 - is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Thickness smaller than 1 - is it possible? Reply with quote Back to top

Just curious - is 1 full unit the smallest unit of measure in hammer, or is it possible to go down to fractions of a unit? For instance, could I have a wall that is 12.5 units long? I've found that certain rotation manipulations effectively move a block to a fractional point on the grid, but I can't figure out how to actually get a non-rotated object to move or extend to units more precise than 1.

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure how units work in hammer since I don't use it, but, given a 1to1 translation between hammer units to OBJ units, and hence GE units, I'm guessing that, even if you can do it, it would be useless since GE would not accept it.
If you need more precission, scale your map up and then set the appropriate scaling for the level in GE.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm kinda stuck with the current scale as I'm adding on rooms to a pre-existing level.

Oops...I've already said too much Exclamation

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I remember when I looked over one of Flopperrs maps, that somehow he had gotten half units on some of his blocks. Or, atleast, they'd been repositioned between the grid lines. I figured that, since it was one of his starter maps, that it was a mistake. But how it happened, I'm not sure. I've never tried to model anything less than a whole unit before. It may be possible, though. Would it be something to do with the "Snap To Grid" option?

Radorn may have a valid point, however. Would GE be able to use less than a whole? I doubt it could, judging by the way it handles the vertice values. The level scale could change it into fractions, though that's not going to help you in your situation.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GE cannot, all values are integers for vertice positions.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it's possible for Hammer to go under 1 either. It's not even possible to make a completely flat brush in Hammer, it always needs to be one unit thick. Luckily you can just null texture the other five faces you don't want and use the sixth face in your secondary indices, Wreck got a hanging lamp and railing working that way.

flopperr999
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, its possible. I just discovered the possibility now while working in Hammer. It involves manually editing block vertices (with the grid on 1 unit) with the Vertex Tool. If you can position a block just right, you can modify it's center point of it's vertex to be .5 units

...roughly explained of course.

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

from what i understand, you can actually get them absurdly small..though i have no idea how they will import into GE.
make an L shape,one side only one grid across, with a length portoptinal to to thickness of the first piece (so it should be one) by how much you want the first piece to be divided.
Then group them together and compress it to one grid unit.
now ungroup them and delete the "compression" piece and you now have a piece with a fractional width. repeat on other sides if desired.

not sure if i explained that cogently, but...you should get the just of it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Even if you can create architecture that uses less than a whole point in Hammer, it won't translate into GoldenEye. It must use whole vertice points for their models. The .obj file may turn out fine, but converting it over to GE format wouldn't be possible. Not that there's a really that big a need for it, anyway. In BMW's specific case, perhaps.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: