ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE ROM Differences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: GE ROM Differences Reply with quote Back to top

I have been recently trying to find any differences between the three Goldeneye ROMS available. Those would be NTSC, PAL (European) and J (Japanese) versions. I did this by finding the table in memory that lists most of the compressed blocks that make up basically all of the resources in the game. The table im referencing to has the very information used for making the "main rom address table.txt" available in the RareWitchProject forums posted by Zoinkity a while back (http://forums.rarewitchproject.com/showthread.php?t=1843&page=3). Here are my findings.
Note: When I refer to Solo Setup and In-Stage text "blocks" Im actually refering to the whole of them (as in three total), and I refer to the specific blocks as "files" or I might have used "block" also. Just figure it out through context.

The In-Stage text blocks are different in every version, although it was originally tried to avoid, since the NTSC contains both English and Japanese text as does the Japanese version, but changes were made to them later on anyway. The european versions contains not only E (english) and J (Japanese) but P files, presumably in english but standing for PAL. Likely contains stupid name changes and stuff like that (they do that alot with euro games for strange reasons). These extra files make the file count bigger in the PAL version, which originally got me excited for extra stuff, but then disappointed when I found thats all it was. Anyway, nobody cares too much about In-Stage text changes, too boring, lol.

The Solo setup blocks are also different in every version, but only slightly from NTSC in PAL, abit more but still not any obvious differences to the Japanese version. I think Ill look into this abit more to find what specific files were changed. And Wreck can help by finding what exactly was changed about the levels, if I can find some semi-drastic changed ones that may be worth the effort.

Besides the Solo setup and In-Stage text, the NTSC and Japanese ROMS are exactly the same as far as these main resources go. Now for the anomaly. The first release was NTSC, then PAL, then Japanese. You would think all the changes made to the PAL version would end up in the Japan version, right? Apparently not. There are 60 hex bytes that are in NTSC and J versions, but not PAL, somewhere before multi props. It was likely a part of the cleaning did for that ROM (the PAL version does not have stuff like the programmer debug menu, I think). At 60 hex bytes, it is not vital.

So really the coolest thing that is different from ROM to ROM are the Solo Setups are all slightly different. There are no extra models, clippings, or anything that would be absolutley awesome. Sad

All this information was gained by looking at differences in block sizes. It might not be completley accurate since a file can be changed and then compressed to the same size as the first compression, but it is unlikely. Specific sizing information is also not completley accurate because I only have the pointers to the begining of compressed blocks, not their end, so the last file is not counted for differences, but that is not vital. For references sake, here are some of my calculation notes that prove the above statements-

Quote:
From Very End:
PAL-8f7830-42eaa0=4C8D90
NTSC-8f7de0-438660=4BF780
JAP-8F9040-439380=4BFCC0

From Solo End:
PAL-8da660-42eaa0=4ABBC0
NTSC-8e41e0-438660=4ABB80
JAP-8e4fa0-439380=4ABC20

From Multi Props End:
PAL-8a0770-42eaa0=471CD0
NTSC-8aa390-438660=471D30
JAP-8ab0b0-439380=471D30

From Mission Briefings End:
PAL-894DA0-42eaa0=466300
NTSC-89e9c0-438660=466360
JAP-89f6e0-439380=466360

All of the above is very technical. For those trying to read this thread and have no idea what the heck im talking about, Ill put the results of it in English for you. The European, Japanese, and US versions of Goldeneye have slightly different Solo maps, and very different text. There is also one small change that I do not know exactly what is, something that makes something smaller in the European version (something likely taken out), but it is not that important.

This has been Kcghost reporting for the KCG Goldeneye News Brodcast. Smile

technoPP7
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What The F**K

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Why techno, you must have been dealing alot with Solo Setups as well as In-Stage text for your stage. Due to the obvious progress of you mission, you must be the expert at this stuff, what did I do wrong in this article?

Id reallly like to know. I mean, I dont know exactly what Im doing, thats for sure. Confused Doesnt those calculations prove the statements? Im not sure, what have I been doing wrong? Is there something I missed in differences between these ROMS? Please tell me.

technoPP7
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing can you explain in a smaller contrast..

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Techno has mainly been dealing with the NTSC version of the game, so he probably hasn't dabbled into labelling differences between regions. It never really occured to me that there would be changes made to each of the three, except for text and screen resolution. But after KC has taken some time to check it over, it appears as though there may actually be more to it than that. Train already appears to have a different action block, though I've yet to decipher the whole thing. It's to do with Trevelyan and Xenia's getaway, but I don't know what all is included. There are upper display texts, some timers, and the helicopter noise. Perhaps they made a correction along the way? Confused

Maxout

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Their getaway. Yeah, you here a helicopter noise but they probably just slipped out the front door.

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

technoPP7
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have expirenced with pal before

( I am eating a salad)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: