ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

General Goldfinger 64 discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

heh, I said I need to look into them because I don't know much about them, as with most productivity/office software.

I know the are a sort of communication suite for managing projects with many colaborators over the internet and, as such, they integrate and somehow synchronize stuff like mail, IM, calendars, schedule charts, managing, remote conferencing with presentations and stuff... well, all that crap... xD

maybe later it could become useful, but for now, not only I have little knowledge and no experience with them, but I also think it may be a bit overkill and be too muck of a distraction, taking effort away from what really matters.

Also these things are more useful when they can be integrated with the other tools you need to use and I doubt we can manage to integrate the goldeneditor, hammer or whatever other stuff we may use into one of these xD

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For these maps to reach high quality status, I'll have to take some time to write the secondary texture tutorial I've put off for too long. It's impressive to see just how much secondaries can help improve upon the look and feel of a level. Once I kick this cold, I'll be sure to get on it. It's been long overdue and I apologize for that. I will also volunteer myself in a number of different aspects. Whether it be helping to get textures to display / animate correctly in-game, write mission briefings for various stages, or beta test current works-in-progress, I'm there. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to contribute a map to this project, but it's been years since I've seen Goldfinger. I'm not making any promises (I've been really busy lately), but if you can get me some screen captures of an area like you did for Fort Knox I might be able to model something for you.

radorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

With the help of wikipedia and google maps, I've been searching some of the real world locations used in the film.

According to Wikipedia, the golf club is Stoke Poges Golf Club, and I located it here (took me a while finding it, since there are many golf clubs in that area)

http://maps.google.es/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=es&geocode=&q=&ie=UTF8&t=k&ll=51.534417,-0.602797&spn=0.002416,0.004817&z=18

I'd say it does look like the one in the film Cool (of course, it's been 45 years since, and changes have been introduced...)

Also this: http://www.stokeparkclub.com/history.htm

Now for "Auric Industries", according to wikipedia, the factory seen in the movie (at least the exterior shots, not necessarily the scenes where bond sneaks in to see the car being melted into gold bars) is actually "Pilatus Aircraft" in switzerland. I got to locate it here:

http://maps.google.es/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=es&geocode=&q=&ie=UTF8&ll=46.973133,8.382955&spn=0.005125,0.009634&t=k&z=17

Things have been added in the last 45 years, but this is the site. Aditionally, the company provides this pdf on how to get there by car, and it has vector graphics for the map of the factory. It could be interesting if someone knows how to convert that to something more usable.

http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/media/PilatusByCar.pdf

Last, but not least, the hotel in Miami is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontainebleau_Hotel

Google Maps, disappointingly, shows it being under construction, so it probably won't be too useful for making a map, not for the pool zone at least.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=&ie=UTF8&ll=25.817238,-80.1218&spn=0.003366,0.004817&t=h&z=18

I have also been trying to locate the portions of road seen when bond chases goldfinger through the Alps since Wikipedia identifies the road in the film's article, but I've had no luck. Anyway, what kind of mission could one do from that? maybe a really long "streets"with no buildings?

The rest of the the film was filmed on stages so there are no real world references to check on.

As for Fort Knox, it's mine :p search for it yourself Laughing . Unless for the outside (which I'm in de process of mapping), the interior was made up since they could not access the interior for obvious reasons.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, for the time being, we'll keep this thread as the main "hub" for information and debriefing regarding this topic.

Wreck, YES, please, would love to use secondary textures. It'll really add that extra punch a map needs.
I've got an idea for an animated waterfall in one of the later levels, if I get there, you'll help me... Thank you for volunteering, I never intended to write mission briefings, so it's great that you mention that.

Dragonsbrethren, in the second scene, Bond is debriefed at a Miami hotel, known as Fontainebleau Hilton Resort (former Fontainebleau Hotel.) In the movie, he's told to investigate Auric Goldfinger, a man who's also at the hotel, playing cards by the pool in this particular scene. Actually, he's cheating and Bond catch him red-handed. This results in that legendary scene of Jill Masterson (Shirley Eaton) laying dead on his bed, suffocated by gold paint. In order to fit a game, you'd have to alter the mission some, but the rooms and spaces are most fitting. Here are some shots and comments, but I recommend you to watch the movie, if just to watch a good movie!

About that Alps scene, imagine if we had a drive-able car. Then we could surely make something interesting out of it...
That golf course is spectacular, it really is Surface but in a temperate climate! Just look at this:

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll see if I can pick up a copy of Goldfinger on DVD for around ten bucks or so. I know the Bond films are on sale at a few different stores, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I've been meaning to buy most of them, anyway.

An animated waterfall, eh? I know that's definitely possible, but I'm trying to think of how to handle it. You'd have to make sure that it is drawn in a way that the animation runs in the right direction. Also, the speed would need increasing, or else it'll move too slowly. There wouldn't be splashing at the base, though. Not sure how difficult it'd be to create a totally new animation, either. That may not matter much, depending on how you choose to utilize the waterfall.

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe it'd be as simple as stretching the texture in a way that it is horizontally compressed and vertically expanded, enough so that the flow of water seems faster. You could also divide the waterfall in sections of different speeds, like a bit faster at the top (less vertical stretch), and gradually faster as it goes down.
As I gather, hammer doesn't allow for such fine control with texture mapping, right?
If that's the case you could try tweaking it in a more general purpose 3D mesh editor (as I plan to do to my sketchup maps, too), or even in the GE Editor, as I think I read a while ago that it can do UV coordinate tweaking.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I'll see if I can pick up a copy of Goldfinger on DVD for around ten bucks or so. I know the Bond films are on sale at a few different stores, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I've been meaning to buy most of them, anyway.

I'll probably do the same thing before I try mapping.

Wreck wrote:
An animated waterfall, eh? I know that's definitely possible, but I'm trying to think of how to handle it. You'd have to make sure that it is drawn in a way that the animation runs in the right direction. Also, the speed would need increasing, or else it'll move too slowly. There wouldn't be splashing at the base, though. Not sure how difficult it'd be to create a totally new animation, either. That may not matter much, depending on how you choose to utilize the waterfall.

This is unrelated to the waterfall, but I was just thinking of how cool it would look to have the hotel pool's water as a secondary texture made semi-translucent, allowing you to see to the bottom of the pool.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, I like that idea for the pool. That'd really look nice, actually. The water doesn't even need to animate, either. It still can, but it doesn't have to. The only thing is that all projectiles will go through the water surface without making a splash, sort of like the weather block supplied water in Frigate. Well, a similar effect happens with the "reflective" pool in Egypt. They'll still connect with the bottom of the pool, which will prevent sound glitches from occuring, though. I'm just being picky. Far too picky for what's possible in a game like GoldenEye. Razz

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This patch looks like it will be a great project! I can't wait to see how this turns out! Very Happy

monkeyface

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm writing this from a far away place. Actually, I'm on vacation.
I've got a laptop to work on, so there's still some progress with the map. About that pool, I tried that with Poolday, but couldn't work it out, I guess it has to to with secondary textures...
There'll be some new screens soon. The interior of the embassy and its garage are finished. I'm writing this just to tell you, post something even though you haven't got very much to report. It'll keep both yourself and other people in track.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

monkeyface, I was hoping to start on a prototype of the hotel this week, but it looks like that might not be happening due to things beyond my control. Anyway, incase I do get some time to work on it, are there any interior shots of the hotel rooms or do I have free reign on these? I've already got a basic layout in mind, but I want to conform to the movie as much as possible, and I still haven't gotten my own copy of it yet.

Also, you're more advanced with Hammer than me; do you have any recommendations for how to duplicate the wave-like layout of the apartment buildings outside? I was thinking of using multiple arches, but that would be an absolute mess for the interiors, I'd need to carve into the arches to create those.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Home again. I know I didn't get any picture last time, but there were some problems transferring them from my laptop to an Internet café computer. You'll get something soon. Weekly updates, at least.

Great to hear that, DB, hopefully my late reply hasn't discouraged you. The hotel interior is not a big part in the movie. You can sense the luxury of the rooms, but most of the shots are dark and/or not very useful. It really looks like any other Bond hotel room. Google "5/4 star hotel rooms/interior" and you'll find everything you need for that.

If I remember correctly, you can connect a room to another without them even being near each other in Hammer, as long as the portals in GEedit links to one another. Maybe not, but it'd be worth a try. Then you could have "straight" rooms even though the doors are at an angle.

Here is what I suggest you do. Do the outer walls like in the picture. Clip and vertex manipulate. As hotel rooms looks identical, create one room separately. On grid, straight and everything. Then, when you are finished, copy and paste it, then rotate it and apply it to the wall.

Hope it was helpful!

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the tips, I was actually thinking of doing those walls that way. I've decided I'm going to use DeleD for this map instead of Hammer, it'll give me more control over the geometry, which is important because of how open the exterior areas are.

I also decided to try giving this stage Frigate's sky water, it'll seems like Frigate's water is drawn around Y-100, so I'll model with that in mind and see how it works when imported. I just wish plugins supported it a bit better; it looks like nasty green sludge with Glide64.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Late April was too optimistic. At least I've been working on it and it's moving forward. But I'm sad to see that I'm the only one posting progress so far, hope to see some more screens! Also, I've updated the first post to better reflect this whole project.

Still working on it. When it's finished, I'll make the next one. I could always have one of these Goldfinger maps as a side-project, but I'd turn 40 before all 20 would be finished. Imagine if we had one more person working on this, it'd be finished when I'm 30 at least!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: