ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

General Goldfinger 64 discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry I haven't posted anything yet, I've got a few things done but nothing really worth showing. I was really struggling with the scale of the outside areas, so those aren't too good, I've got the pool done and part of the apartment. I think I'll move onto the interior, which I pretty much have fully planned out now. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with that exterior area, especially considering I've got plenty of reference material to work with.

Last edited by Dragonsbrethren on Wed May 06, 2009 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hahaha...! Very Happy
Is that framed picture temporary? It's very flattering, hehe. If more people had their photos up, you could have like a "Hall of Hackers". Nothing like being immortalized in a videogame. Smile

I like the way things are looking, and appreciate your update. I'm not sure if I'll be able to contribute new maps, but quite possibly some customized objects. I've also got stuff from PD ported, so there's that possibility, as well. I'll definitely be around to help out if necessary, though.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Man, don't loose all hopes.
I do want to work on this, but, among other things, my computer is failing more and more each day, and it's not a software problem anymore.
You can count on me to make the bullion depository and possibly more maps, but I need to get a working environment to be able to work reasonably well. It's a royal pain right now.
I really feel guilty for it, but please, don't loose hope.

Those new screens look really nice.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren, while I was assembling the reference pictures, I actually thought to myself that it'd be a tough map to realize. Take all the time you need.

Wreck, obviously I wont remove the picture when I've gone through the trouble of painting it... Honestly though, it's a good picture and fits the theme. I want to litter the maps with small items that connects to this community and its hackers. The reason that I chose you for the painting is not just because you're a prominent hacker, it's also because no one else has had the guts to put up a photo of themselves. If anyone wants to appear on a painting or as a soldier, just send a picture my way, I'd be delighted to include it.
When (or if) this map is finished, I'll add clipping, props and vertex lighting and post it here. There are plentiful of people here who knows the inner workings of the game better than me, and I'd love to see what you'd do with the finished geometry. Maybe you could consult professional gamers, such as speedruntrainer, and add different layers of playability and difficulty to the map? From looking at speedrun movies, you can clearly see that they approach the maps in a different way, in comparison to a new player, and the goal (and challenge) would be to make it an interesting experience for all kinds of players.

radorn, don't sweat it. If I loose hope, it really has nothing to do with you or anyone else. You do this on your free time, and you're not even paid to do it. I really can't ask for more. You work with this when you feel like it, if you feel like it and if the opportunity arrives.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Updating, here's a look at the first floor of one of the apartment buildings. You wont be able to enter any rooms, just the "hall" and a some stairs which leads down to the basement.

To the left you can see something black, that's a gate which prevents you from going up the stairs. Doesn't look very good in Hammer, but once the transparency kicks in I bet it'll be fine.

Here's how it looks if I take away the gate.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow! These pics look so amazing!

Great job monkeyface!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that's looking great. I really like the "Goldfinger: Harbour" text overlay, too. The gate will be fine once setup properly in-game. If you plan on having anymore of them, you could always make them actual doors. Some could open, others would be locked. Depends on what you're doing with it, though.

Just curious: are all of those GE textures, or are some of them custom? I'm not sure if I recognize the cracked ceiling, and the lower yellow walls seem new.

radorn

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

fantastic.
it's really amazing how much you have extrapolated out of such a limited zone in the film to create all that.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that's looking nice.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Kode-Z!

Thanks Wreck. Yes, thought I'd try to keep the media releases a little more professional. The reason that I keep those doors closed is really because of a design choice/laziness. While I believe in freedom to explore the game surroundings, restriction builds up some tension and it gives the map some focus. It also hints at the rooms which you can not see, thus an imagination injection! Right now, there's four buildings which you can enter, and there's seven planned.
Some of the textures are custom, yes. The cracked roof is a placeholder texture, and is one of two textures that were never in the game (the sand texture is the other, that one stays). Other textures are simply colour modifications of original ones. The yellow walls are just the upper walls with a yellow hue. That could be achieved in the GEEditor, but I like to see how it looks while I'm working on it. I might remove them when the map's finished, and get the same effect with vertex colouring.

Thanks radorn. While the main path is just a paved road through the city up to the silos, you can make up these places which COULD be located in the docklands of a Mexican city. A small embassy, a run-down apartment building, an abandoned warehouse, a church (Mexico, Catholicism, you see what I did there?), shady alleyways and other kinds of nooks and crannies. If something seems too far fetched, you can always remove it or lock it away and keep going on the main route.

Thank you Dragonsbrethren, much appreciated. Hopefully it'll turn into a habit, these weekly updates.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I'm getting desperate soon. Here is the face of Auric Goldfinger, superimposed on the face of Valentin Zukovsky.

It really doesn't look like him. You'd thought it would at least look a bit like him when it's his face stretched over a polygon tin, basically. It looks more like the former prime minister of Sweden:

Help me out here.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing

I think at least new head models are in order. I have no idea how hard they are to create though.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, I remember a guy named Rune on old GSCentral.com did a custom Auric Goldfinger texture replacement years back. It turned out really nice, even with the few allignment issues that needed ironing out. That was with the GE Face Mapper released by the Rare Witch Project, before we really gutted the game. I believe he also replaced Valentin.

Anyways, I'm sure as long as you keep playing with it, you'll end up with a satisfactory Goldfinger head. Even that one looks quite a bit better than the heads featured in TWINE...

Monkeyface: 1
EA: 0

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rune made some fantastic faces! I should really import them into the editor.

Here's his auric:

http://www.battlefieldforever.com/hackers/priv/subdrag/auricgoldfinger_front_final_rune.bmp
http://www.battlefieldforever.com/hackers/priv/subdrag/auricgoldfinger_haironback_rune.bmp
http://www.battlefieldforever.com/hackers/priv/subdrag/auricgoldfinger_leftside_final_rune.bmp
http://www.battlefieldforever.com/hackers/priv/subdrag/auricgoldfinger_rightside_final_rune.bmp

Labelled as:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX INCOMPLETED FACES XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Auric Goldfinger
Use Character Model: 2A (temp)
GoldenEye Character Name(s): "Karl (2A)"
Completion: ??? (Too early to say)

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

seems like a sweet project so far. Im not sure how far you guys are with the planning and all that but if you still have on open spot for a bonus level(one that doesnt follow the story) i have a greate idea for the map and would love to contribute. lemme know

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: