ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

General Goldfinger 64 discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is one of the most ambitious GE projects I've seen so far, and we've come a looong way... Laughing I'm very impressed, the character, car, jet, level design and the affinity for detail are admirable. It's funny that sometimes I get so overwhelmed by the technical aspects of GE Editing that I almost abandon the whole scene and then I see some project that sparks my interest once again.

Cool screenshots too, keep 'em coming!

Approximately how far along is the project (in % I guess)?

monkeyface

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad you like it!
I'm holding back some with the screenshots, I'm working on a level and I think it can be completed before some media releases. I've done about ten pages of concept art and blueprints for this map, so the ideas are there, I just need to model everything.
The project relies on the help of others. I've set the release date to 2010 Q4. In that time span, I'll be able to churn out 5+ maps. If some more people do that, I can definitely see this project making it.

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh blueprints.. nice. I'm actually taking a interest in creating levels in Hammer although I'm still a beginner but I learn fast. How could one go about modeling maps/sections for GoldFinger 64

monkeyface

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd first focus on the visuals. How you want your map to look like and how you should go about it. Also, you don't want to exceed a poly-count of 1000 - 1500. The actual importing into Goldeneye is not that hard and really not a problem. Even if you can't do it, someone else can do it for you, for the initial testing phases. Later, when it's finished, a mission will be fit in there and that's when insufficient knowledge of the editor could cause some problems. But that's very much later in the progress.
About the map itself, some tips.

1. Who are residing there? What do these people do and need? Add rooms based on that.

2. PHOTO REFERENCES. Google. Even if it's a house of your fantasy, you can still google general themes. And when you see something you like, memorize it and keep it for later. There are tons of visual solutions you wouldn't have thought of if you didn't do your research.

3. What is the basic theme of the mission? Is Bond infiltrating, is he escaping, is he going in guns blazing? All these things could play into the visual side of things.

4. Work in steps. Build the basics first. Room sizes and how they should connect. Then move on the finer details and textures.

5. In this case you got a movie to watch. There are a lot of themes in there to translate into visual ones, just not the sceneries. Watch it, get inspired, sketch, work.

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can surpase that polycount. Island was 3113 tris. There could be level size constraints though. Id suggest looking how many polys are in the level you are modifing first, and set your budget to that. Its moreso the amount of polys on screen at one time that will slow the game down, so plan out your room locations.
Id say dont limit you creativity to a poly count at first. Do your highdetail stuff, then optimize your count accordingly if there are any problems or major slowdowns.

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I want to make not a castle but something like it, a rundown fort or something with an open outside area maybe is there anything like that in the movie GoldFinger?

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hmmmm...i dont think so, but it could be used for the proposed India mission. Perhaps have their operations site be a run down fort to prevent detection?

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I'm not thinkin full-fledged castle because I don't have that kind of expertise yet

monkeyface

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello folks. I'll be going away for about two weeks, so that makes it two weeks without any kind Internet connection. I'm going with the family to the Swedish country side, you could say. I'll have a lap top so I'll do some hot summer nights modeling, but you wont hear from me.
Don't be discouraged, it's for a very short period and is no way a break from things. The summer is not over yet. Hopefully the geometry for the first map will be finished and put up on the svn before the leaves start to fall.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have fun! Hopefully I'll have my map finished by the time you're back, too (not looking so good right now, I've got a few other commitments to take care of, but I'm optimistic).

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

take it easy man. have some fresh air Wink
As for me, I won't be discouraged, things are very slow on my side anyway Very Happy.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well then, I'm back. It's been nice, unusually warm and many good movies and books. Read Maksim Gorkij and saw Hellraiser for the first time, quite the book and quite the movie. Got time to draw and model as well, so that's all good. Working on a portfolio to see if I can attain some sort of freelance work. If you're wondering about that other stuff, the GOLDFINGER work, just see that other pesky message...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome back Smile I've been looking forward to seeing updates!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just picked up a Goldfinger Special Edition DVD at Wal-Mart for five bucks, and also scored a pretty cool VHS tape that features behind-the-scenes footage from both Goldfinger and Thunderball at a local thrift shop. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm hoping there's some good shots of locations and characters to use as reference.

It's actually interesting to see some of the similarities between GoldenEye and Goldfinger. I'd have to watch the whole film through, but even some of the bonus materials alone show the resemblances.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

monkeyface

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't be surprised if they watched Goldfinger a hundred times, there's so much to it.
To me, besides the great music and directing, the sets are incredible. That's why I've ordered a book with Ken Adam. Set creator and designer. Originator of the war room in Dr. Strangelove and set designer to seven Bond movies, among other things. He's incredible and his sketches are really truly inspiring. When I'll get the book I'll post some appropriate pictures.

This for example, it sets the mood!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: