ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[Release] Exporter: GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark -> Hammer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: [Release] Exporter: GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark -> Hammer Reply with quote Back to top

A short introduction as this is my first post.
I make video games for a living and was a dev on Heroes of Might and Magic, 187 Ride or Die, Ghost Recon 2, some Leisure Suit Larry games, and some others. I have worked for Vivendi Universal, Ubisoft, Eidos, Atari, and Lucas Arts.

As with everyone else on Earth, I loved GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark, and I love hacking and putting their maps into other games.

So I made a tool for that purpose. It was released to the GoldenEye Source team some years ago before Nick (shortly after) committed suicide (ugh I have been dealing with a lot of death today: 3 friends and one of my horses).

http://www.memoryhacking.com/GEHacking/Index.html
It starts with a bunch of pictures of the extracted GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark maps followed by the map files (in very simple text format, ripped by myself), the GoldenEye 007 textures (ripped by a well known member of the GoldenEye 007 hacking community but unfortunately I do not remember who), and the viewer/exporter.

The viewer has several options for exporting to .MAP files which can be loaded via Hammer/WorldCraft.

You will get a few minor errors per map since tiny polygons, when rounded to integer units, can become degenerate.
There may be a few invalid solids but these can be ignored. You would never find from where they are missing.

Once in .MAP format they can be edited as per your needs.
You should start by opening the .MAP file in Notepad and replacing BASE_COLD with whatever default texture you want. I used BASE_COLD because it works in my game of choice (Starsiege: Tribes).

The options related to extrusion determine the depth of the generated shapes.
Larger numbers are more stable but cause the blocks to overlap a lot and makes it hard to determine the actual shape of the full object they represent.

Once you get it into Hammer/WorldCraft you may be able to export directly into your game of choice.
As for my game, its set of tools is very picky and valid shapes in Hammer/WorldCraft are not always valid in my game. In that case, you can make a blank map file and copy the exported map room-by-room, fixing any errors you spot and slowly building the final product. It actually goes faster than making the map from scratch.

* The exported geometry is not 100% optimized. There will be one shape per triangle. I need texture data in order to know which blocks are safe to merge, and I do not yet know how to get that from the display lists. I am hoping the community here can help me with that, but that is a story for another thread.
* The exported geometry does not have texture coordinates already mapped. See above.
* The Perfect Dark maps have some small errors. Again I would like to get some help with that.

All-in-all, this tool can save you a lot of time and improve the accuracy of your maps substantially. I hope to improve it in the future, possibly making fully optimized geometry as output.

Also, I should note that the text format used to store the maps is intentionally very basic. You can use those files to export to 3D Studio Max or Maya, and you can also take any other model from any other game, export it to my text format, and load it into my viewer, which would allow you to export it into Hammer/WorldCraft.

Regards,
L. Spiro

P. S.: In case it has not yet been posted, a valid WAD can be found here:
http://www.memoryhacking.com/GEHacking/GoldenEye%20007%20WAD.rar

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice tool, I was playing around with it yesterday. This should help anyone who wants to build onto the existing maps using Hammer, or just wants to get the correct dimensions for various architecture in their own maps.

radorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice tools. I don't model in hammer, but I suspect they will still be useful for me. Hope you can get textures to work soon Wink.

@Dragonsbrethren

Dimensions in GE are real life scale with units being centimeters. That is, once you take level scale into account, of course, but if you use a 1.0 scale, you can use cm as units directly. You may rescale the whole level afterwards if you want to use a different scale.

1 real-life meter = 100 units @ 1.0 scale in Goldeneye. Try it.

I delve a bit about this in my sketchup thread. you may want to read it even if you have no interest in using SU.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I read your other thread when you posted it, knowing the real life scale of the units will definitely help with map creation.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ooh, this is something I definitely have to check out! My runway expansion hack I've been working on has kind of stalled because of some mods I have to make to some of the existing rooms, which I've been too lazy to do the nearly overwhelming task of re-creating those rooms from scratch in hammer.

This may also be useful for finally, once and for all, making a playable multiplayer map out of the surface by fixing the bullet travel glitches that plague the level. Certain rooms in that level need to be combined into one room to avoid having what I call "island" rooms - those being rooms that are completely enclosed and surrounded by other rooms. When firing your weapon from one room across an island room, the bullet completely ignores the island room in its attempt to simply reach the other side of the room you're standing in, hence, ignoring all bg data in the island room and effectively traveling right through the walls. This problem plagues the cabins in surface as well as several rooms in the statue. Others may be affected as well.

Xale
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey,

Nice tool !

I'm remapping during these boring lockdown days

Don't you have G5 Building export ? (Solo player)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: