ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

French translation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrigo21
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: French translation Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone !

I discovered the fantastic Goldeneye setup editor, and its text editor. (version 2.2.20)
I'm trying to hack the GoldenEye 007 (U) [!].z64 (unflipped rom)
I'm on Windows XP, with an AZERTY keyboard.
Thanks to this, i wanted to translate the game into french, but i can't !

I followed the tutorial, but when i want to convert the rom I have always this kind of message.

I tried the translation directly in the text editor, or tried to export in a txt files, it's the same.

if i'm translating a small part for instance in the archive level :
English : find Natalya*
French : Trouver Natalya*
It's working.

But for a longer sentence such as :
English : Captured by the Russians, Bond must escape their military prison.* (10 words for 66 characters)
French : Prisonnier des russes,Bond doit s'echapper de la prison militaire* (9 words for 66 characters)

I will get the error message.
How can i resolve the problem ? Even if i have the same numbers of characters, it doesn't work...

I tried in the Train level, and it's the same : i could translate Monepenny's text, but when i wanted to translated objetctives, i had this message error...

In other words, i can start the translation, but never finish it...

I don't add special characters too.

How can i keep the same number of bytes as the original bin files ? Any clues ?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What you need to do is inject your larger text files through the 21990 editor. Tools > 21990 Modification > Stage Options. Click the Delete Debug Data (and J text) button at the bottom of the window (this will free up a ton of space), then use the pulldown menu above it to select the text files you want to replace, and use the Inject File and Upd Tables button to inject your modified versions of those files. Now you should be able to write as much as you need, and still have all of the files fit in the ROM.

corrigo21
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your help, i'm gonna try this at once Smile

corrigo21
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi !
I need your help to translate a sentence :
It's fom moneypenny, in the Aztec level
Quote:
Quetzacoatl ring any bells, James? No, I didn't think so...*

I don't understand precisely the meaning...
Quetzacoatl is a name of an aztec god, but what does "ring any bells" means?
ring any bells = remind something ?

if it's that case, what does monneypenny means by what? Bond already went in this Aztec ruins in the movie moonraker? That's what i would tend to think....
I saw the movie many years, but i can't remember...

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Ring any bells" does mean "remind you of anything/something", but I'm not sure if Moneypenny was supposed to be eluding to Moonraker or just poking fun at Bond for not knowing about the Aztec culture.

By the way, that is one of the game's few misspellings; it should be Quetzalcoatl. Likewise Arkangelsk should be Arkhangelsk and Kirghizstan should be Kyrgyzstan. It would probably be a good idea to fix those in your translation, I doubt whoever wrote the original text intended have the locations spelled incorrectly.

There are a few more textual errors listed in this thread:

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=432

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I didn't realize that those two locations were incorrectly spelled. You can still look them both up by searching for the names given in GoldenEye, but you can also see the variations you posted within most of those pages. Google even asked if I meant "Arkhangelsk" when I looked up the version lacking an "H". Those must be the official and more accurate titles.

An interesting note; the film noted the Facility as the "Arkangel Chemical Weapons Facility - USSR".

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I don't think the spellings GE uses are wrong, but evidently they're not the official way of spelling those names. The Dam prerelease text file shows they weren't sure which spelling to go with, it uses both Arkhangelsk and Archangel, plus a screenshot shows the final Arkangelsk spelling was being used for the mission name at the same time.

corrigo21
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there !
I translated 11 levels + others files (LtitleE, LoptionsE, LpropobjE, LmpweaponsE)

Now i'm from LgunE.bin, but i have a problem (once again).
It's concerning the grenade launcher and the hand grenades.
I've noticed that the word "grenade" at the digits 003D is usedthe same for the hand grenade, and the grenade launcher.

In french, a grenade launcher is called a "lance grenades"

So if i'm trying to change the word "grenade", it will affect the hand grenade, and the grenade launcher.

I can see that the digits 003E, which contains also the word "grenade" is not used.

So how can i proceed?
I bypassed some guns translation but there...

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Weapon Statistics tab of the 21990 editor lets you change the text strings used by the weapons. What you'll want to do is edit the text file to add a new string for the hand grenade, overwrite the original (otherwise your string won't show up in the editor - don't worry, the setup editor ships with backups if you want to restore the original afterward), then simply change the strings to use your new one.

You can also add watch upper text for some weapons/gadgets that didn't originally have it this way, incase you have a name that is too long to fit on one line.

corrigo21
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's workiiiiiiiiiiiing Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Thanks Dragonsbrethren, you saved me once again.
Actually, the 21990 editor is a super mode that allows us to modify almost things we couldn't at the basis Smile

corrigo21
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The translation is finished and is on beta test !!

Last time, i talked to fast about my previous problem..

It's working in the way it's making good sentences, but some weapons don't work anymore !!
It looks like there's a "master word" for each weapon.

Ex : I translated PP7 (upper watch text) Special issue(lower watch text) by simply PP7, and therefore, i put the word PP7 in the lower watch text, but the PP7 doesn't shoot !
Bond started the level with a PP7 just like his gun is empty. What is strange is that i can't reload, whereas it indicates i have still bullets !!

I also tried to put AR33 from the upper watch texte to the lower watch text, and it's the same...

For these guns i bypassed, but not for the hand grenades which still appear like a 'l-grenades" in the main screen of the watch. If i'm trying modify the upper or the lower watch text, the hand grenade can't be thrown !!

How to resolve it ? is there a "master word" for each weapon? or have i missed a step ?
I added a line in the LgunE.bin, but it's a failure.. Sad

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's very strange, it sounds like there may be a problem with that part of the 21990 editor. I don't think anyone has made extensive use or it before.

corrigo21
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The translation is over.

I released the patch today !!

I wanted to say a huuuuuge thanks to Subdrag, Dragonsbrethren and Wreck.

Without you, i won't be able to translate the game. Confused

It was long, but very interesting. What a pleasure to play the game in your native language !! Laughing

I was only 12 when i played the game first, and i remembered i had to play with an english-french dictionnary if i wanted to understand something...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's great! I never anticipated this purpose to the editor, but that's fantastic that is can help all the French speakers finally get a true translation.

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=159

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren noticed, but looks like the ips you generated was empty? Or the one emailed me was empty? Please reemail so I can reupload the file.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: