ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Perfect Dark's "21990"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Perfect Dark's "21990" Reply with quote Back to top

I did a little reverse engineering and found that PD's version is at:
0x39850 and is 0x10F40 long compressed, or sized at 0x30E40 uncompressed. It is decompressed to 0x80059FE0 in RAM.

GE's 21990 had to be the perfect size to work on console, so it was padded uncompressed before compression...unfortunately PD this won't work, crashes the game by padding uncompressed, so I don't see how this will ever work on console...maybe we got lucky and they updated ZLib, so doesn't need to be exact size...

Anyways, great news, I got 00darks G5 level working without a gameshark...the bad news...ips format is too small for Perfect Dark...

We need a solution for this before I can post the new ".ips" patch. What are everyones thoughts on the proprietary ".rwp" extension which is a slightly extended IPS? How has this been dealt with in the past? I have pm'ed 00dark the ROM location for now, so people can try online if he distributes, but I need to solve this.

Uncompressed PD 39850:
http://www.battlefieldforever.com/hackers/priv/subdrag/39850.bin

You can compress it using beta PD Editor and inject it using a hex editor or possibly convert ROM in PD.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent work, Sub!
The index we need to get things rolling. This could help to open many new doors in the world of Perfect Dark hacking and modding. Very Happy

Hopefully someone here knows of a good patcher to use with the larger ROM size. I believe Dragonsbrethren is familiar with many patchers, so it's possible that he can poke around for information.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

00Dark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Use the .rwp extension for Perfect Dark ROM patching and BTW, that ROM is kinda screwed up with graphics and saving a new profile. What do you mean by 8-meg? Am I supposed to trim this ROM down to 8-megabytes? If so, then what do I use to perform this?

As you can see it won't even let me save. WTF?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is expansion pak detected? You don't need to trim anything, just by default it was not in PJ64 cause of new CRC

Hmm, that's not a good sign...I hope a smaller compressed file is not a problem...because PD crashes if it's bigger uncompressed to fit the compression size.

Are you sure it's not just cause not in expansion pak mode? I was able to save a player fine.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe someday we'll get custom geometry into PD... Smile

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

patching utils for many formats.

http://www.romhacking.net/?category=2&Platform=&game=&author=&os=&level=&perpage=50&page=utilities&utilsearch=Go&title=&desc=

UPS, PPF, Ninja... there are a few alternatives to IPS that don't have IPS's filesize limitations. These 3 are the most renowned/extended as far as I know, so maybe it'd be wise to use one of those
I'm not knowledgeable enough in this field to recommend one over the rest, so take a look there and decide.

As a special note, if someone is to implement one of those, UPS's author says his format is roughly as complex to implement as IPS, since it is intended as a replacement for it.

It's amazing how much tech trivia I have in my head without actually knowing how to hack/code anything in practice.

00Dark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can you possibly implement 39850 Modification into the PerfectEditor now that you have the file?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I suggested using UPS in the past but I've changed my mind; xdelta would be the best patch format for both GE and PD. I've been meaning to bring it up for some time now, since I was introduced to the format, but I guess it just slipped my mind. The reason is pretty simple, we move a lot of data around in the ROM when we inject larger setup files, and xdelta handles that much more efficiently than IPS. It also doesn't have the file size limitation of IPS, so it can be used for Perfect Dark as well.

A quick patch size comparison, using my missions:

Silo IPS: 5,083 KB
Silo xdelta: 701 KB

Grid IPS: 5,841 KB
Grid xdelta: 689 KB

Complex IPS: 5,843 KB
Complex xdelta: 658 KB

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a library or source code for xDelta (or a cmd line tool I suppose)?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that's quite the size difference between IPS and xdelta. Perhaps this, if Sub can utilize it, will be a good replacement for the standard IPS system. And if the filesize is no matter, it'll work for our Perfect Dark projects, as well. Thanks for the info, DB. (and also to Radorn, for pointing out a few other alternatives which should be explored!)

Here's a link to the "xdelta" website...
http://xdelta.org/

There's also another link to a "Google Code" site...
http://code.google.com/p/xdelta/

00dark: Injecting files into the ROM shouldn't be far off.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What's worrying is I tried to redo the patch for DDHQ investigation, and now the ROM is crashing in the menus with the "21990" mod. I wonder if it does need to be the exact size and we just got very lucky on the one level...ack.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There must be a place in the ROM, maybe even the 39850 Index itself, that determines the compressed size of the index. If we can figure out where that data is stored, we should be able to update it to match the modified size.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just had a thought that hopefully this 39850 will eventually help us to locate level scales in PD, and if we can change them!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That would be the sh!t, right there...
I've tried modifying the values in the level setup block that look as though they could be the scale, but the map remains the same. Two of the values, however, did move my start point over some. I'm almost betting that one of those entries was for the scale at one time, but was later disabled. All of the maps seem to be 1.0, anyway, so why bother having to set it? But, a part of me still hopes that the scaling is active and can be adjusted, somewhere...

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are there no PD hackers somewhere else on the intranets? lol
Maybe they've successfully found the values.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: