ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

DeleD CE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys. I think what disturbs me is that I don't have a clue how I can know how big a meter is inside my map.

I would really love to have a character correctly scaled for scale 1 maps, as right now I'm doing this by resising a model approximately. It's very hard to be sure I'm doing it right.

All those number are burning my brain. Deled show me some XYZ coordinates when I point the rmouse.
At the moment it can go till Z -44000. Is that number accurate of any value? I mean I don't go further than -32000 or 32000.

OMG scale is so hard to get. Just to think it would been even worse if I was modeling for Goldeneye.
Quote:

Dam actually excedes this limit as discussed in the old GEX dam import thread.

Yeah that topic was very intestersting, but I've yet to understand it fully.
Would love to add descent scenery around my map and push it as far as I can.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AL64inthedark wrote:

OMG scale is so hard to get. Just to think it would been even worse if I was modeling for Goldeneye.
Quote:

Dam actually excedes this limit as discussed in the old GEX dam import thread.

Yeah that topic was very intestersting, but I've yet to understand it fully.
Would love to add descent scenery around my map and push it as far as I can.

Both GE and PD are the same, neither is more dificult than the other except that the tools for GE have been around longer.

GE supports 1.0 scale too while PD requires 1.0
-Technically this statement means nothing (what is 1.0?) however it keeps the language that has been in use around here. What it should read is:
-GE levels can be scaled or use straight cm while PD levels cannot be scaled and must be in cm per unit.

All this scale stuff means is that you are quantifieing the unit.
As I stated, the quantity of GE/PD is Centimeter.
If you make a model using 1unit=1meter you need to "scale" the level by 100 to get cm (since 100 cm per m)
likewise, if you made a model around the mm you would need to scale by 0.1 (0.1cm per mm or 10mm per cm)

Keeping your co-ordinates between +/-32767 should be perfectly fine.

If you want to "see" the size of your level, add a cube 180 high and stand it somewhere. this will be equal to bonds eyes in GE/PD.

Scaling was dropped from PD as it made no difference to how big a level could be.
In the SDK it stated that the RCP is 16bit but you can use any "scale" you want.
If you make a driving game you might make the scale Decimeter (10cm per unit) to allow tracks of 6km however, nothing on-screen can be less than 10cm.

So Dam could have used an arbitary 2cm scale allowing 1.2km however all objects, guards and pathways would have a minimum resolution of 2cm so in the end its scaled back to cm. Additionally POV might end up "feeling" 3.6m tall making everything look tiny assuming POV was Fixed at 180 units.
FOV would also need to be adjusted and Near-clip becomes a problem.

Trev

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you very much for the time you take to answer me, Trevor. You're very helpful.

Hey putting a cube of 180 makes more sens to me now. Made me realised that my door where actually lower than I expected.
I scaled my doorframe from Datadyne defection roof doors (metal), and felicity. Those are very low actually. I'll recheck by exporting them again just to be sure I got it right the first time.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Minor thing to note, is remember the taller characters when building your levels. If you are keeping Jaws, make sure there is enough room to prevent his head from going through the ceiling or doorframes. Also check out the vent height in Complex or Felicity / Facility, if you plan on having any crawlspaces. Don't want you finishing up something, only to find issues afterward and having to go back to adjust a bunch of stuff because of some big bastards. Wink

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I made a post on Deled forums about an issue that I have and that is totally irritating. Making a level with prefabs is something I do.

I usually open a session of Deled just to create a prefab. It could be an object or a corridor part that I insert as prefab after that in another session, that is my final level.

But if I add a prefab, next time I reopen my scene, everything that was added as prefab before got the textures of the last prefab added. It just ruins everything in my workflow.
Anyone aware of that issue and found a solution ? ...beside maybe create an .obj out of it and adding it like that. It would still be better if prefabs acted like expecting...not screwing finished elements everytime.

Here, I added the prefab "coca vending machine". Note that the corridor is a prefab added to the scene before. Everything is fine.

When I reopen the scene after that, it appears that every other prefabs that were already added to the scene have their textures replaced by the one from the last prefab added. In this example, the coca vending machine. Its textures replaced those from the corridor (carpet).

Please note that I checked that there was no conflicts with the name of the texture. Each texture name is unique.

http://www.delgine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4865

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What does that mean ? List index ouf of bounds (2).
I can't export my map as obj... Saving in Deled's format or creating a prefab out of it works also.

EDIT: Apparently, that error is related to triangulation. I had some quads that wasn't triangulated and it wouldn't do it automatically. That was time consuming to do this manually.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: