ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

DeleD CE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is it possible you didn't name your object properly? Room01 is first room name and increment in hexadecimal.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh...yeah right. You guessed really well Laughing
That's something I didn't think about. Since I made it very small and one room I didn't paid attention to that.
Actually I don't even have an official room, just triangle 1, triangle 2 etc...

*go check tutorials again*

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Check my tutorial from minute 18:44 to see how to export files from Deled and import them to Editor. However, I'd recommend watching the full thing, hehe.

http://youtu.be/EYkUgX_QT_E?list=UU_Gc2EhxKK0M9s9wfpezvLQ

Oh, Lesson 2 has been on standby for more than a years. Razz

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How do you align the rectangles between them ? I use "extrude" tool the most I can, but sometime I have to join things and it's a pain.
I just can't do it (can't zoom with enough precision).

Only thing I see is "scale" tool the vertexes to make the joint. But then things aren't straight anymore. Should I not bother with that and use scale tool or is a better way, a right way even ? ^^

http://imgur.com/FMzDiIl

Subsidiary question :

1F9CC3D 20 20 Type 09.bmp

Is this envmap texture used in Perfect Dark ? I've try to use it but when importing map it told me it can't find this texture strangely. May be a mistake from my side but I'm curious about its use in the game. Can't tell where it was.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AL64inthedark wrote:
How do you align the rectangles between them ? I use "extrude" tool the most I can, but sometime I have to join things and it's a pain.
I just can't do it (can't zoom with enough precision).

Only thing I see is "scale" tool the vertexes to make the joint. But then things aren't straight anymore. Should I not bother with that and use scale tool or is a better way, a right way even ? ^^

http://imgur.com/FMzDiIl

Subsidiary question :

1F9CC3D 20 20 Type 09.bmp

Is this envmap texture used in Perfect Dark ? I've try to use it but when importing map it told me it can't find this texture strangely. May be a mistake from my side but I'm curious about its use in the game. Can't tell where it was.

In all honesty, the best way to make a map in DeleD, would be to build each polygon from a triangle on a grid size 32x32 (For stairs 8x8) This is just for basic work just to get a map to run in Goldeneye with as much ease as possible. (Like clipping the level itself without problems) This would make everything a whole lot easier to design and split polygons into rooms so that Goldeneye can run much smoother with things not loaded in the background.

Reason why I mention this is because from the image you showed everyone, it seems you use some of the built in tools that cut into solid blocks and what not that can make doors for you. This could cause texture issues when imported into Goldeneye, giving the same effect that happen in my Mario map I made way back when I was not experience with the editor at the time.

Here a link to a file so you can test it yourself and see what I'm talking about.

Super Mario Brothers Level : http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=204

This should give you an idea what happens when you use the cut out tools that messes with the polygons. The floors mess up and the walls mess up. (Texture wise) So it might be best to build it from the ground up though rectangles one by one. Which is how my Rogue Control Center level was done entirely. Leaving the level with no issues with polygons what so ever.

Just in case if you like to use the level as a example as well, here the link for you.

Rogue Control Center : http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=287

Also there is a little shortcut key that allows you to zoom in slowly on both 3D view and 2D view to get the best precision possible. Due to the fact I don't have the editor on hand with me at this very moment, you might need to try holding down either CTRL, Shift, ALT, or combine two keys at a time while moving the mouse wheel forward or backwards.

As for the texture, I believe I've never seen it before. (Then again I have not played Perfect Dark in a LONG time) You can rip the texture out from the Perfect Dark Editor and convert it into JPEG (From memory) so DeleD supports it and then rename your own texture file like "TextureXX.Jpeg" (Replace XX with 01 then with another texture do the same but instead of 01 do 02 and so forth) then put it in any texture folder that you want. And then add it into DeleD though the Texture adding tab (Forgot the name sadly)

Then you can use it in Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Sorry if any information is wrong at all though. This is all off hand from what I remember. So if I am wrong about something maybe someone here who currently have the editor on hand can lend a hand out for you.

Good luck mapping. Smile

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EternallyAries wrote:
Reason why I mention this is because from the image you showed everyone, it seems you use some of the built in tools that cut into solid blocks and what not that can make doors for you.

Actually, I've loaded defection map from PD, copy pasted the door frame from that level. I've done this to get the shape and scale right inside my own map.

I tought turning a door frame from original map into a prefab would be a very convenient way to map my own level.
Actually I think it is, at least I now have the shape and scale, I may need to tweak it if it cause textures issue. I need to create rooms and then see how it looks in Setup Editor to check that.

Texturing is not something I bothered with at the time, I've yet to find a way to perfectly connect the geometry (based on rectangles only, besides door frames prefabs from Defection).
EDIT: What I was looking for, was to "weld" vertexes between them. I don't even know what welding mean so that didn't help until I've tryed the function.

Last edited by AL64inthedark on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
Modeling at 1.0 Scale (On a Grid) in DeleD

Another feature that I've embarrassingly overlooked. In the options menu, there are two fields: Major gridline size and Minor gridline size The major gridline option, which I did know about, only affects the darker grid that is always shown on the viewports. It serves as a nice guideline, and should be set to something the syncs up with your current grid. Minor, however, corresponds to your current grid size, and it scales itself up and down automatically. If you have a 16x16 grid enabled, and change it to 10, then the 8x8 grid will become 5x5, the 32x32 grid will become 20x20, etc. Basically, this allows you to change the grid to power of whatever, instead of power of two. It should be noted, however, that if you set the second to lowest grid (2) to 5, then lowest will be 2, and dropping to that will throw every other grid off, making them into powers of 2 again. You can't have a 2.5 grid, nor would you want one; you'd get rounding errors in GE. The solution, of course, is to make the smallest size you want to work at the smallest grid, but even that isn't perfect.

Now, using this information, you can model directly at 1.0 scale, although it'll likely take little more work than usual, since you'll need to fight with the grid a bit if you want to use a grid size that isn't a power of whatever number you chose. Personally, I think it's easier to just stick with the default power of two grid, since it scales up and down perfectly (probably why it's so prevalent), and then let GE scale it up or down to 1.0. If we start mapping for Perfect Dark and no way to enable stage scale is found, though, this will be very useful information.

Bah. I dont understand what to do with those informations.
Using the option to size thing according to grid is something I avoided using for the moment, but I'm sure it will cause me pain in the ass when I'll want to make the rooms and portals in my map.

I need to bother with it now before it's too late.
So, would someone experienced be kind enough to share its grid settings with me/us ? I look forward to map for the PD engine.
Beside, it may be good to see what color settings you guys are using.

Whatever I use as minor grid value, when I open an original map from Rare, nothing fits a grid anyway, thought.
I don't know how major grid could be of any use, it just bother me whenever I try to use "snap to grid". At the moment I mostly use it when modeling some prefabs objects.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's because Rare's artists didn't model their backgrounds around a grid. They seem to have used meters for their measurements in Perfect Dark, but sizes aren't very realistic. As long as you're consistent, it doesn't matter what scale you use, in GoldenEye the game itself can scale your background up/down, and in PD you can have the editor do it.

The grid is just a tool, a point of reference. You don't need to use it, but it does help with making sure everything connects together and makes tiling textures easier. You'll note that Rare's backgrounds, particularly in GoldenEye, sometimes have really bad texture seams between rooms. Bunker 2's floor tiles are my favorite example. You can avoid that easily in DeleD by using a power-of-2 grid.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh ok. I've heard about metrics before, but still tought that grid was a standard and maybe a grid setting would fit perfectly the original maps.

I'm using a grid of 8 right now, which is convenient but doors got a (very) tiny bit rescaled. I hope it won't be a mess when I'll add doors in the editor.
I discovered too that you can fit thing to grid by pressing F11 when moving them, but before, you have to go to "object" and change snap method from "none" to "vertex", which is quite annoying to do for every new object.
But it works, so it's good.
Deled is really a great software. I'm glad it was "advertised" here, because otherwise I would have never found it.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My last post hear is 5 years ago, so I am back Razz (well i never left GEV, but I was inactive)

I´ve got the old problem and I seem to be stupid to solve that problem.
But how can i convert many files to 24 bit for using them in Deled?

At the moment, I am working with Cinema 4D. It´s also a good programm to edit the levels.

My last post hear is 5 years ago, so I am back Razz

Hope you all are fine and healthy Smile
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I use Irfanview, batch conversion mode in the "File section" and go for "output format bmp", then advanced settings.
There you can choose 16.7 millions colors 24bits.
Select all your files and you're done.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there any shortcut to know what maximum size my map can be at scale 1 ?
And a way to make it manageable inside Delded.

If you open big maps like Defection, or Dam at scale 1 (I'm modding GeX, so it's PD engine), you can see so little of the scenery inside the "top view" and it makes it very tought and lenghty to edit.
I enlarged the view distance for 3D view, but that doesn't make big size level any more manageable ^^

I want a mountain scenery around my map so to make the process faster, I just copied those from the Dam. Then you realise how huge that level is when you insert it around your map ^^

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ha yeah thats definitely true. Dam is a really big level.

About your question: You can´t rescale it like you mean it. Well not directly.
When you import a scaled .obj file to Deled, than it will always appear in the same size. It´s because of the .obj File format.

You could import the file into another programm like Cinema 4D or Blender, resize it in there and then export it to another file format witch Deled can read.

I had the same problem in Cinema 4D and my friend, who is a Cinema 4D Pro said thats normal.

But changing the movespeed in Deled should normally work. Thats strange.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Is there any shortcut to know what maximum size my map can be at scale 1 ?

I did a quick search for the magic number and couldnt find any results in this topic so I just wanted to remind you that levels can NOT excede +/-32767 units (In GE/PD level units are centimeters).

That means you cannot have a cube bigger than 655meters.

Dam actually excedes this limit as discussed in the old GEX dam import thread.

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: