ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Extendable MP Stage Select Menu (BETA)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Extendable MP Stage Select Menu (BETA) Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, naturally we'd want to place stages in without removing one from the list, and now that's fully possible!
http://www.mediafire.com/?o61rwm19qm7oblj

This is a demo and binary release, rolled into one. The demo patch is a port of Krijy's excellent Carrington Villa Residence. Only apply it to an unbyteswapped NPDE v1.1 ROM. The patch comes as a .ups file, and you can find a copy of byuu's UPS patcher here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?m1sh8yoq6hmztpf

The patch demonstrates an MP stage menu that can accept (theoretically) up to 27 entries, though I've only tested two so far. The format of the table has been reduced by two bytes each.

The binaries in the source folder are two TLB hacks that made the extensible menu possible, as well as a secondary boot binary to load the stage. The TLB hacks are specific to North America version 1.1, so don't try to drop them into another region.
Instructions on modifying the thing to insert different stages is provided in the readme.

Note this is an initial beta release, so be certain to report any bugs - especially bugs related to random stage select, saved setups, or challenges. Big known bug is that it fails to read unlocked stages on console. If somebody could go over the code, that would help. I'm just not seeing the error, but it must be a memory alignment issue.

#_#

Krijy's documentation is still the most extensive and useful thing you'll come across, but now some basic memory map and TLB correspondance tables are available. If you're doing ROM hacking--especially reverse-engineering--you may need to consult some of it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y80y7i6yq7vf00d

In particular, it outlines the TLB <-> ROM correspondance, the two boot binaries (yes, two!) and their relationship to the first 0x80000 of ram, as well as documentation on some of the formatting for the MP options.

=_=

I'll convert Krijy's other MP setups over the next week. They're pretty quick to do, concidering.
As for the patch development, a more elegant solution to grabbing the stage select menu size needs to be devised. Also, at the moment there isn't a clean way to tack on additional subsection names. "Classic" is forced using detection. We want a full-up text insertion method.

-Zoinkity

[EDIT]
Just got another stage going. Threw it in as a seperate patch in same archive. Will make a joint patch later after solving console issue.

Last edited by zoinkity on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

fantsu

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sounds good!
Very Happy

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's pretty cool, Zoinkity. I had started documenting certain aspects of the 39850 index binary after Sub had extracted it. I found the Combat Simulator level setup and header tables, too...

02 ABB8: Combat Simulator Level Setup List = 0x6 each entry
0x00: Level ID (00XX)
0x02: Flag for Availability? (if beat challenge, set flag? 0000 - Always)
0x04: Text

02 AC20: Combat Simulator Level Setup Dividers = 0x8 each entry
0x00: Line to Insert On (00000000 Top of List, 00000010 Above Last Level)
0x04: Text (XXXX0000)

I'm guessing that you removed the two bytes that determine when the level is available? That'd shorten each entry down to 0x4, allowing more than the sixteen current slots. Very clever. Smile

Could you not do the same with the headers, by reducing the size each thing takes up?...

Instead of:
508E0000

It'd be:
0010508E

By the way, where is the other compressed boot binary located in ROM?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

These only work for mupen for me. Does it work in pj64 for anyone? I set settings same as PD. Crashes when I select level and hit start (1P).

00Dark

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I applied both UPS patches and they loaded up fine in Project64 with 1P and simulants. Sad I have no idea what's causing yours to behave that way SubDrag. Crying or Very sad

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hmm what were pj64 settings on rom?

00Dark

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

These are Perfect Dark's default ROM settings:

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm might be protect memory - yep, fantastic, that was it. I'll post xdeltas to gevault

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have to keep fighting the habit to use GE's default settings for the PD hacks.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I can't seem to get either of the XDelta patches from the Vault, or the UPS patch Zoinkity linked up, to work for me. They keep giving out CRC errors. I'm using a plain old NPDE v1.1 ROM, too...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those were corrupt, ack, try again on 1.1 after redownloading.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I redownloaded both patches, as well as the newest Editor, and still no luck. That same error message about the CRC mismatch keeps coming up. I'm using the correct ROM, too. Both XDelta patches are 71.2kb, and were last modified on 28/05/2009 @ 5:46pm.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hadn't tried any of the new patches yet until just now, and I'm having the same problem trying to apply the Carrington Villa CS patch with xdeltaUI.

Edit: The same thing happens with Crash Site. When I tried using the beta setup editor to apply it I didn't get an error, but I ended up with a 0KB ROM.

Edit 2: For quick reference:

Carrington Villa CS - Failure
Chicago CS - Success
Crash Site CS - Failure
dataDyne Central CS - Success
dataDyne Labs CS - Success
G5 Recon CS - Success

radorn

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you are talking about the 4 PD multis in the Vault, they work for me.
Maybe you guys have byteswapped (v64) ROMs?

http://www.xente.mundo-r.com/radorn/n64byteswappers.rar

most popular rom "formats", V64 and Z64, originated from Bung's Doctor V64 and Mr. Backup's Z64.

Z64 is a plain Big Endian (straight/plain) ROM image, while V64 alters the byte order because of the V64's hardware needs.
Byteswapping tools have a third option, Little Endian, to which they assign the N64 file extension. Not sure if it originated from some backup device or what. I stumbled on a couple of ROMs like that in the past, but nowadays it's all either z64 or v64.
For z64, I'd rather call it .bin, since it's just a plain unmodified binary dump, but whatever...

Sometimes ROMs are distributed with the wrong extension, so you may not notice it until you try to hack it or apply a patch.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The first four patches, the ones I created for 00dark's Combat Simulator maps, all seem to work fine. It's the newest two, which are ports of Krijy's old custom setups by Zoinkity, that don't want to work. For some reason, they aren't corresponding with the right CRC checksum. And if it isn't just the GoldenEditor that's having trouble patching it, than it must be the XDelta patches themselves...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: