ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

"You Only Live Twice" in PD - My Dream Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: "You Only Live Twice" in PD - My Dream Mod Reply with quote Back to top

Are there any leads for getting this in PD? Is it on anybody's agenda? It would make a great addition to GE-X. My dream mod would be to be able to select the amount of lives everyone has before the match in PD (in GE-x would be great too, but mainly in PD itself).

For those that have deciphered much more of the code than I, what is your opinion on how possible this is?

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One step at a time. We have GF64 and GE-X running almost concurrently, it would be possible but you would need to create all new levels from scratch to represent parts of the movie.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe I think he just means where you have two lives and then your multi is over. Not another gigantic mod Surprised

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wow, suppose making a new game for every movie...
would be a journey of 100 years at least! Laughing

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Hehe I think he just means where you have two lives and then your multi is over. Not another gigantic mod Surprised

Woops, misread, I'm kinda "out of my face" right now.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Basically you need to:
  • Make a unique mode flag, which there should be room for one actually.
  • Borrow a sliding bar for lives, or allocate a register and make one.
  • Within the respawn routine splice in something like:
    if mode flag set: if #lives >= #deaths: inhibit respawn and respawn message (basically branch over it all).
  • Splice in a game end condition.
  • Splice in a scoring condition.

The last two would probably be the hardest to implement due to the way those work in PD.

To be honest the code in GE is a bit sloppy. It used two more player-specific registers than it needed to and was very obviously hacked into the respawn code.

sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you, zoinkity. Are you saying that there is a readable version of the code somewhere? I imagined this would be done in a hex editor using Data Crystal or something. You make it sound a lot more intuitive than that. Are you referring to something in the editor (highly doubt my life would be that good)—to my chagrin, I must confess that I still have not tried to PD side of the editor.

So basically, my questions is, "Is there some breakdown of the code somewhere, whereby I could look into the things you have said?"

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What's he saying is how one would hack it, but it's really complex to do. It doesn't exist. Although maybe if you tried the PD side of editor you'll find goodies, this isn't one of 'em.

sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, so he was just talking hypothetically, lol. Sure got my hopes up. lol

After playing so much GE-X, I realize how essential an elimination mode is. Even when PD was new and I was younger, I still remember feeling it was a bad idea to take it out. But hey, for now, GE with bots is better than GE all by myself. lol

Thanks, guys.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, actually, you would use a hex editor and a complete dump of the TLB segment. You rewrite the ASM as needed, then split and recompress everything.

Simple to say, but tedious to do. This is why they delegate so much of the ASM work to me ;*)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: