ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

The Many PD Text Files...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: The Many PD Text Files... Reply with quote Back to top

PD doesn't just have the standard E (NTSC), J (NTSC/J) and P (PAL) language files for each entry, they have an additional four...
g, f, s, and i.

All four seem to be identical to eachother, from my observations (very limited, thus far). They also seem to take after the PAL language file, rather than anything else.

Why so many, and what are (were) they for?

g = German?
f = French?
s = Spanish?
i = Italian?

An interesting thing, it appears as though the "Night Vision" is called the "Night Sight" in the PAL file, as well as the extra four. This was noted in the Crash Site (LaztP) text. Perhaps one of our European friends with a copy of PD and an N64 would like to check this out. Wink

E: "Something's jamming my transmissions... It's coming from that other craft."
P: "Something's jamming my transmissions... Maybe it's coming from that other craft."

E: "I'd better find the jamming device..."
P: "I'd better find that jamming device..."

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You've got the other languages right, I've seen those same tags in a DS ROM I was working with, which had support for all of the DS's firmware languages. Nintendo seems to have this stuff standardized, I know GBA ROM headers used "P" for the European releases even though the GBA is the same in all regions, and the P obviously comes from PAL.

So, there were plans to completely localize PD for its European release? I wonder why they didn't go through with it. Night Sight is pretty interesting too, we know that was a prerelease term. Maybe they used Night Vision in the NA release because it's the more well known term here? Do the audio files back up the two text changes? If not, I never would've noticed those even if I was playing the PAL release, I never play with subtitles on.

Speaking of this, has anyone dumped the text from the PAL release of GoldenEye? I know it got some updates too, mostly spelling but I seem to remember noticing a few lines that were different as well.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I remember KCGhost was on a big search to find differences between the NTSC and PAL versions of GoldenEye. I don't know if he pulled the text files from the PAL ROM, or was just looking at the "L_P" files from the NTSC ROM. It might not be a bad thing to look into, even just for some small trivial things.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The work I did on the prerelease wiki articles should tell you that the small, trivial things are some of my favorites. Razz

Anyway, with the tiny bit of research I did, night vision is the name for goggles or another device that lets you see in the dark, while a night sight is a telescopic sight for a weapon that serves the same purpose. The visor in PD would fall under night vision, but my theory about using the more common term might still apply if the term night sight is more well known in Europe.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure I get the point of this thread.
Anyway, for now, I just wanted to state that my cart, after being dumped was identified by GoodN64 3.14 as "Perfect Dark (E) (M5) [!]", and it indeed has Spanish as a language for all text in the game. Voices are not dubbed, though (which I'm grateful for since they would probably have made a really bad work with it).
When starting the game for the first time a little selection menu pops in and you chose your language. You can also change it from Each of the saved games' menus.
Apart from English and Spanish I can't exactly remember what the others were, but I'd say German French and Italian are the best guess.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, okay. I thought Wreck meant that these files all had duplicates of the English text in them, indicating a scrapped multi-language feature.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All of the German, French, Spanish and Italian files, as far as I know, are just duplicates of the PAL file. It's like they started the multi-language project, but never bothered to finish it. Unless they did get around to it for other regions.

I've just went through both my personal copy of Perfect Dark (North American, v1.0) on console, a PD ROM (NTSC v1.1) via Mupen64K, and read over the instruction booklet, and found no language menus or features. All we have, apparently, are the "L_E" NTSC files loading. I don't know if PAL is the same or not.

Do you still have a copy of your dumped PD ROM, radorn? I'd really like to take a look at it, if you do.

*notice: I only ask out of curiosity and the quest for knowledge.

Last edited by Wreck on Wed May 27, 2009 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They probably finished it in the PAL release, then. I was going to grab a ROM to check it out, but the site I usually get mine from isn't working right now.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is the N64Have.txt file GoodN64 spit out when I made it check my games (I now have more but cant dump them 'cause my AR died Crying or Very sad R.I.P.)

Quote:
You have 10 of 3044 known Nintendo 64 ROMS (V3.14)

Banjo-Kazooie (E) (M3) [!]
Conker's Bad Fur Day (U) [!]
Diddy Kong Racing (E) (M3) (V1.0) [!]
GoldenEye 007 (E) [!]
Legend of Zelda, The - Majora's Mask (E) (M4) (V1.0) [!]
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (E) (M3) (V1.0) [!]
Perfect Dark (E) (M5) [!]
Pilotwings 64 (E) (M3) [!]
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [!]
Super Smash Bros. (E) (M3) [!]

As you can see, my cart is nothing special. Everyone here knows that PD has Spanish text available, a rarity for an N64 game (not so for psx... these damn "sonyers" haha). Out ot these, only PD and majora's mask have Spanish text. Ocarina was rushed for christmas that year and Spanish text wasn't included in the game but went in the form of a translation booklet included in the box.
I never used it and played the game in English.

Anyway, here's the ROM. The link will last for a week or so, I think.

link removed - staff

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, looks like we got jipped. The PAL version has a Language selection option in the Video menu. There's English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. I suppose it makes sense that they'd leave the North American release strictly English, but why leave all those files in? I know they're based on the same build, but it still seems like an awful waste of space, to me. Thanks for the ROM, radorn. Wink

Last edited by Wreck on Wed May 27, 2009 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It could be that they had the framework in place but not the actual text translations, and just filled those slots with the English text as a placeholder. There was only about a month between the NA and European releases, but that's more than enough time to get the translated text files finished and inserted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: