ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

NTSC vs. PAL: Detailing the Differences...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: NTSC vs. PAL: Detailing the Differences... Reply with quote Back to top

Now that I have access to a PAL PD ROM (thanks to radorn), I've been spending some time detailing it. By doing comparisons between this and the v1.1 NTSC ROM, I've noted the significant differences in a notepad file. I haven't gone through to examine what it is that makes them unique, but I did list the files which don't match up...

NTSC v1.1 vs. PAL Differences
013A57E0 defection setup
013AAA50 airbase setup
013AD030 pelagic ii setup
013AEB40 g5 building setup
013B0530 ci training setup
013B4860 villa setup
013BCE20 infiltration setup
013BED30 deep sea setup
013C2E20 air force one setup
013C4DA0 maian sos setup
013C6340 skedar ruins setup
013CB040 mr blondes revenge setup
---------------------------------
014B1200 infiltration tiles (clipping)
015CFE10 ruins CS tiles (clipping)
---------------------------------
01C1DAB0 defection PAL text
01C1E6C0 defection German text
etc...

*note: addresses according to NTSC v1.0 / v1.1 ROM!

If anyone wants to help out, I can extract and zip up the files in question for you. The setups are probably all Action Block related, which would be interesting to detail. But as for the clipping files, that's another story. I was quite surprised to find them in this list.

Oh, also, does anyone know if only the one version of Perfect Dark was released in Europe? The one I received from radorn doesn't have a version number in the Mupen64K ini.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can send the setups over to me, I'll see if I can spot the differences when I have some time. That said, if it's action block related I doubt I'll have any idea what's going on, there are already so many actions that we have no clue what they do.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Both GoodN64 3.14 and No-Intro's DB recognize only 4 unmodified PD ROMs

Two for NA (original release and the revision), one for PAL territories and another one for Japan.

GoodN64 recognizes 2 additional dumps, but they are one BAD PAL dump (it has a different size) and a PAL-fixed NTSC-U ROM (for backup users, so it will run in PAL machines). No-Intro lists only unmodified dumps.

GoodN64 3.14 wrote:
Perfect Dark (E) (M5) [!]
Perfect Dark (E) (M5) [b1] -> BAD DUMP
Perfect Dark (J) [!]
Perfect Dark (U) (V1.0) [!]
Perfect Dark (U) (V1.0) [f1] (PAL) -> PAL FIXED
Perfect Dark (U) (V1.1) [!]

No-Intro Nintendo64 2009-05-14 wrote:
Perfect Dark (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
Perfect Dark (Japan)
Perfect Dark (USA)
Perfect Dark (USA) (Rev A)

Of course, other versions could have remained undumped to date, but that's another matter altoghether.

GoodTools' version numbers are not specified for games where only one version exists or is known. Also, I think Nintendo specifies version numbers in the ROM's header or in the product identifier somehow.
When a v1.1 or later appears, the first version gets retroactively named 1.0.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the information, radorn. I doubt that there were any additional PAL or JAP versions released, if they haven't been found in the nine years the game has been out. I suppose it's still possible, just not likely.

And yeah, you seem to be right. For Perfect Dark NTSC v1.0, the header code is "NPDE" 00, while v1.1 is "NPDE" 01. The PAL version is "NPDP" 00, which should mean that it is the first (or only) one released.

That's one thing I was also concerned with, DB. The actions in PD are quite undocumented, to say the least. Identifying what action block(s) are different is one thing, but knowing what the heck they do is another. I'll zip them all together and upload them tonight / tomorrow morning.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
[...]For Perfect Dark NTSC v1.0, the header code is "NPDE" 00, while v1.1 is "NPDE" 01.[...]

not too on-topic, but I've cheched some games that had up to v1.3 just to fully verify this, and yes, it seemes that's how it works.
interesting also is that n64 zelda roms used in GC's various zelda bonus dics are all 0F instead
wonder what they have put in wii's VC releases.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: