ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Mayflash USB adapter. Works but button mapping is bad.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Mayflash USB adapter. Works but button mapping is bad. Reply with quote Back to top

UPDATE: After testing this adapter personally, I have to disendorse it.
Button mapping is innecesarily stupid and can make it unsuiotable for certain games.
http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?p=49208#49208

A new USB adapter to use N64 Controllers in your PC has recently appeared in the market:

http://www.mayflash.com/pc/pc043/pc043.htm

As you can see, it's a dual port adapter, so you can use 2 controllers at the same time for local 2 player games (4 players with 2 adapters, obviously).
So far we have the testimony of member Entropy Soldier, who received one just a couple of days ago.
Seems to be a simple HID compatible adapter. Both controllers appear as a separate controller under Windows' game controllers calibration dialog. Since it doesn't come with any special driver, Controller Pak support is out of question. It remains unsure whether it supports Rumble Pak force feedback.

He's also provided us with a picture of the innards:

We are also expecting comments from HackBond, who's bought another and will be receiving it soon.

Seems like a good enough alternative for those of you that don't have an Adaptoid and don't want to risk their money with the buggy Boom adapter (the infamous N64 + PS1/PS2 adapter)

Here are some sites selling it.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-3d9o.html

http://www.4triangles.com/catalog/dual-usb-adapter-for-n64-controller-nintendo-64-to-pc-p-28.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200346312135

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002B9FIUU

A store from Spain:
http://www.hardcore-gamer.net/tienda/product_info.php/cPath/28_36_195/products_id/8605

Last edited by radorn on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 12 times in total

HackBond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lol, I have been brave enough to buy one from the play-asia website

Cost me £13

Ill tell you the results in 5-10 days

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Topic updated.

I'm rather surprised there has been such low interest in this thread given how many members of this forum seem to be affected by ZTNet's fiasco regarding the Adaptoid preorders.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think we need to confirm it's as good as an adaptoid and not like the N64 PSX one.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it will never be as good as the Adaptoid because of the Adaptoid's many extra features and the ability to transmit raw controller data to the PC with it's specialized library, making programs using it (such as the adaptoid plugin for n64 emus) able to tap into the raw button and analog pulses and "Pak"s of any kind inserted in the controller. It has perfect compatibility with official controllers, but my third party ones don't work; not much of a problem though.
http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/slaanesh79/hardware/unofficial/adaptoid/adaptoid.html

This new adapter, on the other hand, seems to be a pure HID device so it won't have any of these extras. It's just an adapter for the basic contoller functionality: Buttons, directional pad -composed of 4 buttons- and analog stick. It's said that the compatibility with first party controllers is perfect, and some third party ones work too.
Pak support is ruled out for Controller Paks and Transfer Paks, since nothing even remotelly similar to them is implemented in HID, but HID supports force feedback, obviously, and so there's a remote possibility that the adapter implements rumble pak compatibility through hardware and presents is as HID force feedback. Just speculation though.

The point is that this adapter won't be as good or at least as complete as the Adaptoid, but it seems to be pretty safe to say that it's definitelly better than the infamous Boom adapter, and that it offers a correct basic controller functionality.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also waiting for a statement or review. Also, I'm really digging the WASD+mouse controls. And this is coming from someone who has a weak spot for nostalgia. I think it'd be pretty nice with a reversed adapter, plug in your keyboard and mouse to the N64...

Commandant
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

monkeyface wrote:
I'm also waiting for a statement or review. Also, I'm really digging the WASD+mouse controls. And this is coming from someone who has a weak spot for nostalgia. I think it'd be pretty nice with a reversed adapter, plug in your keyboard and mouse to the N64...

You Sir are a Heretic Razz

Seriously though, N64 pad is the only way to play GE/PD.

oxidice
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I also have this BOOM adapter and it can be annoying at the times, if you can't get it plugged, but other than that it works well for me at least.

But it would be great if someone who can compare this adapter with boom adapter would post comparsion between them, as I also might be intrested in getting one of these.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oxidice wrote:
I also have this BOOM adapter and it can be annoying at the times, if you can't get it plugged, but other than that it works well for me at least.

But it would be great if someone who can compare this adapter with boom adapter would post comparsion between them, as I also might be intrested in getting one of these.

The comparison would be easy. The Boom adapter is buggy and is very unreliable. You may be lucky and have it work without problems, but then it might stop working, or other controller you have may not work well with it.
The problem with the boom adapter is that it doesn't work for everyone, everytime or with every controller (and I'm talking about standard nintendo ones, not third party ones).
The only comparison needed is to have enough users say that this works properly with their controllers and that would make it superior to the Boom adapter xD.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if this product starts receiving positive reviews, I might end up getting one. My PS3 controller works alright, but it still doesn't feel properly suited to the game. And though I've gotten quite familiar with (and good on) a keyboard, it's not what the GoldenEye experience demands. The N64 controller is the only real way to go.

Thanks for letting us know about this new adapter, Radorn.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

PS3 God
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck@ you can use a ps3 controller for the n64 emulator?I didn`t know that i will remember to use it when i get another controller.Thanks for letting me know.This will be way better than a keyboard.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, you just need to hook it up via USB port, then Google the device drivers. I'm not at home, so I can't tell you what I ended up using. A little searching online should net you some good results.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

monkeyface

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I may be a heretic, but you wont be so tough when I pin point an enemy that's above me on a ledge, 400 feet away, with my MOUSE. Or when I strafe past you with my shiny WASD buttons.

If we get some reviews I may look into it, not because I'm weak for nostalgia, I am, but it is kind of nice to play with a controler once in a while.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I use my PS2 controller for GE, and have never had a problem with it. To be completely honest, I'm not sure if it's the controller or the differences in emulation, but I'm actually better at GE and PD on my PC than my N64. My N64 controllers are all terrible, but I haven't bothered replacing them because they still sell for so much. For the price of a new first party controller I could have a new game for one of my consoles I play more often.

HackBond

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've just used it and it works perfectly after calibration thru Game Controllers in Control Panel. I got mine from Play-asia, worth the wait and now I can play Online without the unfair advantage over me.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: