ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Mayflash USB adapter. Works but button mapping is bad.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That thing would be great, but all my original N64 controllers (I have 6 of them), are in quite bad shape.
Now I use very bad PS2-controller copy.

Very Happy

KoolKolo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

HackBond wrote:
I've just used it and it works perfectly after calibration thru Game Controllers in Control Panel. I got mine from Play-asia, worth the wait and now I can play Online without the unfair advantage over me.

Hi, does this adaptor also support the rumble function, like the OOP "Adaptoid"?

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

KoolKolo wrote:
HackBond wrote:
I've just used it and it works perfectly after calibration thru Game Controllers in Control Panel. I got mine from Play-asia, worth the wait and now I can play Online without the unfair advantage over me.

Hi, does this adaptor also support the rumble function, like the OOP "Adaptoid"?

No, this aint an adaptiod. I have a rumble pak myself and it doesnt work so the answer is no.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

KoolKolo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know that this isn't an Adaptoid Wink
It's sad that rumble isn't working.
Thanks for the fast reply... Smile

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well I own 2 official adaptoids and seeing as how they sell for a little over $100 a piece on ebay, I'm tempted to buy one of these new adapters and sell my adaptoids.

I use my adaptoid quite frequently so if I try buying one of these, I'll be able to give a fair comparison between this and the actual adaptoid.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm definitely still interested in acquiring some sort of N64 controller adaptor, so the more feedback I hear regarding this (as well as other products), the easier it will be to make a decision. I don't doubt that there are others, like me, in the same position.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I'm definitely still interested in acquiring some sort of N64 controller adaptor, so the more feedback I hear regarding this (as well as other products), the easier it will be to make a decision. I don't doubt that there are others, like me, in the same position.

Adaptiod - TEH BEST but expensive
N64 USB (My one) - Great and cheap but doesnt have same functions as Adaptiod
N64/Ps1/2 - Buggy

N64 USB one is still working today

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not so much concerned about the lack of features, but rather 2 specs:

-response time
-sensitivity of analog stick

Basically, if the controller "feels" the same as when hooked up to an adaptoid, then I think its well worth the purchase.

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
Well I own 2 official adaptoids and seeing as how they sell for a little over $100 a piece on ebay, I'm tempted to buy one of these new adapters and sell my adaptoids.

I use my adaptoid quite frequently so if I try buying one of these, I'll be able to give a fair comparison between this and the actual adaptoid.

I also have 2 adaptoids (from the ZTNet era, before the infamous preorders), and I wouldn't sell them unless I really needed it for living.
Adaptoids have pak support (memory, rumble, transfer, and possible others), native access to the controller's data, and many features steeming from that (like the controller pak managing driver integrated in Windows' "My Computer").
This enables things like the Adaptoid Input Plugin for emulators, to provide games direct access to the controller plugged in the Adaptoid, even accessing any pak plugged in it.
All other adapters, including this one, even if they work correctly (as this one is reported to do), only have the HID interface, managed by Direct Input under Windows, and from what I can tell, they only provide the basic functionality: Buttons and analog stick. No rumble, no paks, no direct access to controller's data...

That's basically the comparison. The only point of comparison I could see would be the analog range translation.
The controller's electronics provide a range from +128 to -128 (You can see this using some little apps from the Adaptoid SDK, and there's also some doc arround), although that range is truncated by the octogonal shaped stick pit.
The Approximate range for a stick in good shape is arround 80 from center in both axes.
HID has a 16 bit range (not sure if signed or unsigned), so you either have 0-65k or +32k to -32k.
Since there needs to be a translation, between thetruncated octogonal range to the HID square range, adjustements have to be made. How to measure these is something I'm not too sure about. Not many HID device information Programs out there that I could find.

The idea is it will be necesarily inferior to the Adaptoid, but that doesn't mean it can't provide a datisfactory performance.

One thing that I would like to know about is support of third party controllers.
There are claims that it supports SOME third party controllers.
I myself have some crappy ones (from a store that scammed me) and a HORI mini pad, and they don't work with the adaptoid.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's another alternative I found:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=82

Sells for $22.

This one also just uses generic HID support.

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mmmm

That's really interesting, bmw, and it also seems like you missed something:

Quote:
Download this beta app to test Rumble Paks and upload/download save files on Controller Paks: N64 Tool

If you can program device drivers, contact me. I need something like XBCD to add rumble support in games.

Seems like the adapter is prepared to access the controller's slot and they are in the process of making the needed software.
For now it only offers standard HID interface, but if they come through with it, it could become a real adaptoid replacement... very interesting.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone know of this RetroZone's reputation? I'm definitely interested in picking up one of those USB N64 RetroPorts, but don't know enough about it (or the company), yet. Even the convertors for the Wii that let you use old school NES / SNES controllers are pretty cool. Would certainly make for a more authentic experience with Virtual Console gaming.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They're pretty well known in the NES scene, since the guy who runs the site is fairly active there. He wrote some awesome tutorials for programming homebrew NES games. I've never dealt with them personally, since the PowerPak was always sold out every time I wanted to get one, but I know a lot of people who have. One thing I can remember is that the first model PowerPaks had a defect that stopped them from working properly in some consoles, but not others. You could send them back to get them repaired for free - I say that's pretty good business ethic right there.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is good to know. Anyone who is willing to take back and correct errorneous products at no cost certainly sounds trustworthy. I'm still not totally sure about the USB N64 RetroPort, but the Wii SNES RetroPort is jumping out at me. Though I don't have any Super Nintendo games on my Virtual Console, there's a couple that I'm thinking about. Being able to use a real SNES controller seems much more appealing than either the GameCube or Classic controllers.

oldyz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mm ,
i would like a wii adaptor for the n64 controllers....
it is the best controller, even better than snes one for fighting games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: