ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Japanese version of Joanna Dark
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, one thing I can think of, when playing in 16:9 mode the text in the NTSC version gets stretched compared to 4:3. It's possible they resized the text in the PAL version to prevent that, since the people most likely to benefit from hi-res would also have widescreen TVs. I know I never noticed any difference (except for slowdown!) with hi-res enabled on my old CRT TV. I don't have my N64 hooked up right now to test for artifacts in the menus, but I can tell you the whole game looks pretty bad on my HDTV without hi-res enabled.

I disagree about hacking the PAL version just because I'd like to be able to play our hacks on my actual console some day. I suppose it's the same for you. I don't think multi-language support would actually get taken advantage of for custom missions and such. Maybe someone could make a NTSC patch for the PAL version, but I'd imagine that would be more work than it's worth (timing and such).

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... There appears to be no blood in the Japanese version! Maybe it's set to off as default? I'll have to check!

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hadn't even noticed that, and I played through the first two missions. Embarassed

The saves are compatible between versions, so you can load it any other version and change your settings.

radorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My TV is a 15" 4:3 CRT, and I do see the difference between res modes Wink
There are other aspects of the menu resizings that are detrimental, though.
Menus that display 3d stuff inside, like the weapons, vehicles, gadgets, character selection in CS... they become smaller too Sad

Anyway, about playing PAL games in NTSC machines and viceversa, it doesn't pose a problem, actually, specially if it is to be done in a backup unit or flashcart. You only need to use a cart with the equivalent cic for your region. that is, you can use your pd cart to boot the pal rom, hacked or not.
there are some games, though, that somehow detect your console's region, but it can be patched. If we are using boot emulators, like the neoflash flashcart seemingly will use, patching could even be skipped, but since hacked roms are already patched... region patching doesn't seem like anything to be concerned about at that point Razz

TV set compatibility with 50/60 hertz display modes is another matter, of course...
All relatively modern tv sets in europe support 60hz mode (not necesarily ntsc color signal, though). I don't know about american tv set's compatibility with 50hz mode, though.
Unlike the playstation and other systems that switch color encoding along with the video mode, n64 consoles only do 1 color encoding for composite and s-video depending on the area they are sold in, but display mode is set by software.

Strangely enough, I have a USA cart of Xtreme G 2. In my ntsc console it does 480i@60hz, but loading it into my pal machine, it switches to 576i@50hz Neutral
Conker didn't do that...

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, my current TV says it can do 50hz, I have no idea about older/cheaper sets though.

kwakkles
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

YouTube user takapdark is presumably a Japanese and currently living in the country of Japan, as is indicated in the YouTube profile. This YouTube user is a pretty good Perfect Dark and Goldeneye 007 player as well, and I observe him to be on the-elite status of excellent playing.

This video of the Japanese PD is one of his many videos of the Japanese PD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfjnv0t9blU

and a GE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlm-QS7oF5Q

fantsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well internet is full of these pics...

Boo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kode-Z wrote:
Hmmm... There appears to be no blood in the Japanese version! Maybe it's set to off as default? I'll have to check!
When I play it, it does have blood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: