ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Fix Surface, Temple, and Grid textures in Glide64
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Fix Surface, Temple, and Grid textures in Glide64 Reply with quote Back to top

I know many of us use Glide64 since it is the only plugin that can do most of the "advanced" effects used in GoldenEye. One of the few graphical issues is with the tree textures in Surface, and the wall textures in Temple (and Grid, when imported from PD). Fixing this is actually very simple:

Open Glide64.ini in a text editor and search for GOLDENEYE. Add a line with lodmode = 1 to the game's settings, and it will fix these textures. Now the only remaining issue is Frigate's water.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, that's very good to know. I can get Glide to work with Mupen64, but I always encounter errors with it on PJ64. When I attempt to enter the "Settings..." menu, I receive the following two messages...

"Project64.exe - Unable To Locate Component: This application has failed to start because glide3x.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

"Error: Failed to load plugin: C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\Plugin\Glide64.dll"

I downloaded the appropriate files and placed them into my PJ64 plugin folder, but keep getting the same problems.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's strange, I've never had any problem using Glide64 with PJ64. You put glide3x.dll in your main Project64 directory, right? Glide64.dll, GlideHQ, and Glide64.ini should be in \Plugin.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, now it is allowing me to select the "Glide64 Wonder ++" graphics plugin, but the emulator crashes as soon as the game is loaded in. This happened with both GoldenEye and Perfect Dark...

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wonder++ is an outdated version, you want Napalm. Try downloading the plugin again and doing a clean install of it. Maybe you have an older version of the wrapper or plugin causing an issue with a newer version of the other. Only thing I can think of, if they were both the same version it should be working fine. Also check the compatibility files if you're using Vista, it may have copied an older version there (go to \Program Files\Project64 and click "Compatibility Files" on the toolbar).

http://glide64.emuxhaven.net/downloads.php

fantsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

...and that Glide 1.0 is outdated, the new version is the 1.22
I wonder if that is the 1.22, it just says 1.0.... ???
Confused

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, you need to put the glide3x.dll file in the main emulator folder or somewhere else in your computer's PATH variable, and not in your plugins directory if that's what you did.

Glide64, like it's name indicates, actually works with the Glide graphics API, native of old 3dfx cards. If you have one, you don't need anything else, but if you don't you need what's called a glide wrapper.
The function of such a piece of software is to intercept Glide API calls and translate them to something else. That something else is usually Direct3D (or maybe always, since I doubt there would be interest in making wrappers for anything else nowadays). The interest of this is so you can use Glide programs on your modern Radeons and Nvidias Razz.

That glide3x.dll is just that, a glide wrapper. It impersonates the original glide3x.dll included in the actual drivers for a 3dfx card, but instead they attempt to translate Glide calls into Direct3D calls in a way that the results on screen are as similar as possible to what you'd see on an actual 3dfx card.

I think the reason Glide64 was originally created is that, at the time, Glide offered a set of capabilities that allowed to mimic N64's graphic capabilities better than the then current Direct3D hardware could.
Nowadays with the modern shader architecture in DX and OpenGL, that's no longer true.
I have read some former N64 programmers saying that the machine was so advanced graphically speaking (performance is another story) that you need modern hardware with FULL shader support to properly imitate the techniques used in N64 games.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I downloaded the most recent files made available on that website. GoldenEye now loads up and plays fine, with the textures corrected in Temple and Surfcae, as well. However, Perfect Dark is refusing to play. It loads up the ROM, sits for a few seconds, then spits out the following message...

"Glide64 Exception: The GFX plugin caused an exception and has been disabled. Would you like to turn it back on and attempt to continue? Yes or No."

Both of the options result in the ROM staying in black, with the FPS counter moving between 59.82 - 60.02. The intro screen never comes up and I'm forced to end the emulation. Does anyone else have difficulty with PD on PJ64 with Glide Napalm?

Edit: Turning "LOD calculation" OFF under the "Special game settings" tab in the "Configure Graphics Plugin..." menu seems to have done the trick.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

fantsu wrote:
...and that Glide 1.0 is outdated, the new version is the 1.22
I wonder if that is the 1.22, it just says 1.0.... ???
Confused

I didn't notice that when I linked to the downloads page, but the actual current version is available on the sidebar.

Wreck wrote:
Edit: Turning "LOD calculation" OFF under the "Special game settings" tab in the "Configure Graphics Plugin..." menu seems to have done the trick.

Never had that issue.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Works nicely, and the moutain walls in Dam also works now.
Now there's only the water in Frigate and the portrait pictures of the characters that doesn't work... After that, I reckon it emulates the game almost perfectly.

HackBond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The problem I have is that my FPS goes down the drain. The second I start GE with Napalm it goes down to like 20fps rather than the normal 60 i get with Jabo's

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

oxidice
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was trying to use glide online a while ago with someone, but results weren't that good for us Sad that might be because of not so good glide settings and the fact we were using older version of plugin.

But anyways could you Dragonsbrethren or someone else using glide post your settings for that plugin with GE so I could try it out again and hopefully with better succees this time

HackBond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oxidice wrote:
I was trying to use glide online a while ago with someone, but results weren't that good for us Sad that might be because of not so good glide settings and the fact we were using older version of plugin.

But anyways could you Dragonsbrethren or someone else using glide post your settings for that plugin with GE so I could try it out again and hopefully with better succees this time

Well, I was trying random settings. If DB or someone else post their settings I would try them and see if they worked.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I use all of the default settings, with the exception of the one I just mentioned adding. Glide64 is a lot more intensive than Jabo's plugin, so it's not for everyone, and it's probably not a good idea for online play either for the same reason. The standard tip for performance issues applies of course: Update your video drivers, see if that helps.

HackBond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
I use all of the default settings, with the exception of the one I just mentioned adding. Glide64 is a lot more intensive than Jabo's plugin, so it's not for everyone, and it's probably not a good idea for online play either for the same reason. The standard tip for performance issues applies of course: Update your video drivers, see if that helps.

I have the newest drivers for my GeForce FX 5500.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: