ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

N64 flashcarts roundup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

nah, the packet is in my city's distribution center (it has 300k+ population so it has it's own), but they said they were overloaded, and decided to postpone mine and lie about me not being at home...

about the cart, as I said from the start, I'm more seduced by marshallh's project from a design and potential functionality standpoint, but I'll give the final version of the unit a fair review.

I think NEOFlash should have waited for a more matured unit before they start to sell it. For now I'd say this is more for adventurous people with cash to burn than a solid final product.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

By the sounds of it, they've still got some ways to go. Between games refusing to load and USB ports failing, I'd say making a purchase at the current time would be foolish. We're going to have to keep an eye on this one...

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yay, I have my cart, finally

Here, have something to look at:

http://www.filedropper.com/reviewn64myth1

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5901.msg42849.html#msg42849

Even though the cart has gone on sale, it's obviously not finished.

So far our USA rom based GE hacks run both on my NTSC and PAL systems at the proper 60hz. Some games have more than 1 video mode programmed in and swith to it depending on the detected region of the console (NTSC, PAL and MPAL), so I thought it was worth noting whether they ran in NTSC or PAL video modes.

USA PD on the other hand, has save problems at the moment and also I haven't been able to run it on PAL system. Could be a matter of patching it with PALadin.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's great about GE, but also need PD.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Even with the problems mentioned in that thread, it's still really great to see a GE hack being played on the real thing with it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is Perfect Dark just having difficulty allowing a New Agent File to be created and saved? I know I've had similar issues with some emulators. Without having a save file, you can't even play the game. Sounds promising, though.

Would you say that GoldenEye runs just as well as it does normally playing it on console? The video of the Fort Knox mod seems to play very well. There were a few hickups, but I think that may have been caused by my player.

Oh, and it's great to see that you've actually got the flashcart. Here I was thinking that the postal company might find another way to screw you.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD fails at saving because of a bug in the internal firmware related to the EEPROM 16k save type (which PD uses). Updates of the internal firmware can't be done without a special piece of hardware testers have been given, but not included in the commercial package, if I got it right, so I don't recommend buying it at this time. NEOFlash made a strange decission selling it while unfinished.

Anyway, one good thing for those of you that took the lead and ordered one (if any) is that PD won't die of not being able to access the internal save, so you can still save to mempak and play. Not ideal but you at least have that.

The video has hickups probably because of me playing one-handed and the camera being a Nokia N70 cellphone I have been lent (SIM-less, since I use it as camera only).

I may start a blog about this and other N64 related stuff from me so I can centralize updated to this whole thing instead of updating manually in lots of forums xD.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So long as you have a game save on your controller pak, PD is able to be played? Is this correct? If that's the case, than that isn't so bad. At least for those of us who have a completed Agent file with everything unlocked on our cartridge and can copy it to a controller pak.

If PD can be played under these circumstances, perhaps you could test out one of the custom ROM's available in XDelta Patch form on the Vault. I think 00Dark's newest dD Central Combat Simulator map can be accessed at any time, even without anything unlocked. And with my recent 39850 Index detailing, I'll probably get Sub to include a universal unlocker. It should allow everything in the Combat Simulator to be accessible.

A blog sounds like a decent idea, especially if you're posting on multiple forums.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,5910.msg42960.html#msg42960

another reason you guys should wait till me or someone else you trust gives a get go for this cart.

Keep in mind that that "core" they are talking about is the logic code of the cart, not some software you can update normally. You need special hardware to be able to apply that kind of update which costs 49 extra bucks.

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=98&cat=12&page=1

I uploaded my first 2 videos to YT, one is Cliff Base running on hardware through N64 MYTH cart. I sucked xD

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting rendering glitch on the railings - does that happen in normal GoldenEye? I never saw it playing Cliff Base on the emulator, so it's something to be concerned about if it doesn't happen with the unmodified game. Nothing worse than making great looking backgrounds, and having them marred by something like that when played on the hardware because we overlooked something.

(At least we're concerned with it. I'm slightly annoyed by the indifference the Super Mario World hacking community has when you bring up the fact that their hacks often have sound problems (or worse) on the SNES hardware.)

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well. I don't think that kind of glitch could be induced by the cart, really.
Also, there's no point in checking if the unmodified game has the same bug since we are talking about a modified game.
More interesting would be to test if the same happens with a Doctor V64, V64 jr, Z64, CD64 etc...

I guess this is the kind of things that I mention sometimes about stuff that works well on emulation and not on hardware.

I didn't look for it, but I played some original levels and don't remember any of them showing that glitch.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After update of core/firmware, PD can save to internal eeprom now.
Not sure what you'll get in your unit if you order now, but the bug has been fixed.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, my guess on the railings would be the indices. Though they might show up fine via emulation, they might not be perfect on console. I believe those are original GE textures, so that wouldn't be the issue. If the indice commands or their order is off even slightly, it might cause visualization errors. It's like it is fighting between keeping and losing the black part of the image.

Great to hear that PD has been taken care of. Smile

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CF devcart from Marshall H. Reply with quote Back to top

marshallh's device post wrote:
UPDATE: First public video of the early prototype running a homebrew game by the same developper.
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?p=403914#p403914

I know I should be posting more info about the NEOflash N64 MYTH cart, but I'm having lots of stuff to deal with on my crappy computer setup, and I want to give a real report on the FINISHED product, and the testing period seems to be far from being over even though the thing is already on sale.

I have to say that there are still many bugs in the MYTH cart and that everything is very dodgy at this point.
On the bright side, as I previously said, GE, PD and their hacks seem to work, which is the most important part for this community, but I'd say that for 200 bucks it'd better be 100% compatible as it promises, and at this point, it is not, not to talk about the durability concerns of using some proprietary format such as their NEO2 series DS/GBA flashcarts. Even if they eventually manage to make the software perfect and flawless, I'll always be concerned about "what happens when your NEO2 dies or gets wear"? flash memory has limited writes after all.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have one, and it works superbly for GE. It's quite nice and small too. If you want to play GE and can afford it, I'd def go for it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: