ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

N64 flashcarts roundup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sounds pretty good for ones who keep the n64 still and wan to play special versions of games.

this reminded me of an old problem we wished we could fix

SubDrag, please check your PM

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Many things have happened since last update, and I still owe to make a review of the sample NEOflash N64 MYTH cart I received (although, as I already said, GE and PD both work satisfactorily.

NEO Myth keeps receiving some firmware and PC software upgrades, but still no SD menu. They say it may be close, though.

On the other hand, marshallh's device (of which I'm not sure if it has an official name yet) keeps going on. In fact, it has come a long way:

check the links on the first post.

Last edited by radorn on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

Lightning
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Excuse me, but are these like cartridges that you can save ROMs to and then play them on your N64?

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think so.

Lightning
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EternallyAries wrote:
I think so.

Sounds cool.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

00Dark wrote:
Hell, why don't they just remake the Nintendo 64 console itself like an Atari plug-and-play device. How many years until anyone would do that?

It'll be what, 10 or so before the patents expire. You could tell the day the NES ones let up. Every mall was littered with Famiclones.

Quote:
It has 128Kbyte of on-board battery backed SRAM for saves.
From what I get from his messages, it seems like the onboard circuitry should be able to emulate all the save types present in N64 cartridges and store the save data from the game in that SRAM memory.

Well, for a certain number of games this will be a slight issue. A few will need to be patched to force certain save types, and others to keep it from detecting more than one variety. Still, nice to see.

I would have prefered a pass-through type though. Honestly, no idea what code lies on a CIC chip. Each has a different checksum though, added to the cart checksum, so the contents must differ. What if it turn out to be a bootloader? Would explain why all the N**C games use a particular type. So, the big question would be what the result of a blank CIC chip would be...

Any idea what hardware ranges will be used? Just the standard cart domain? Theoretically a device could set data to any hardware range and emulate other equipment as well...

An Althera processor? I think this was based on an old design that came out of Russia. I'll try to find the docs someplace, but it seems a revision of that old project.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The specs have changed quite a bit since I wrote that, zoink. I must update, but I'm having troubles on many fronts.

among other things it now saves directly to CF, there's no longer SRAM as intermediate memory.

by the way. the N64 is in the process of being fully reverse engineered (mostly the mysterious RCP) and implemented as an LLE MESS driver ATM, and there's already an effort to reimplement that code in an FPGA based project.
Patent issues aside, what 00Dark wants is in the works.
Needless to say, don't expect this anytime soon...

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So have the N64 flashcarts came out with the last 2 yet?

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

updates on marshallh's cart description. look at first post for link

in the meanwhile, you can check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdWsFpVall0

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hate how I'm only really interested in seeing how GE and PD run on these things. But, I suppose that is my only reason for wanting to purchase one. Hopefully we'll get to see how games perform on Marshall's device in the coming weeks.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are there anymore of these devices?

Even if there was one that actualy had a re-writable chip that required re-soldering or something...

I cant help thinking that having usb and CF and other stuff that requires extra software will have an impact on framerates.
I mean, How would GEX cope with such software?

I would love to see a clone of an official cartrige develompent hardware and of cource a source of chips Smile

Trev

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LAST UPDATE http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30265

Trevor wrote:
Are there anymore of these devices?

Even if there was one that actualy had a re-writable chip that required re-soldering or something...

I cant help thinking that having usb and CF and other stuff that requires extra software will have an impact on framerates.
I mean, How would GEX cope with such software?

I would love to see a clone of an official cartrige develompent hardware and of cource a source of chips Smile

Trev

Not sure what you mean with the first question.

this cart is completelly transparent to the N64, there's no loader running alongside the game. Also, in the current form, it doesn't run games directly from CF anymore, it has 64mbyte of SDRAM where it loads the games and then run them from there.

The USB is just a resource available for the software running on the N64. It's mapped to an unused region of the cart range in the console's memory map. Software only needs to read/write from it to use it, as far as I know.
Regular games will just not use it, but it requires no extra resources from the console, i.e. it's transparent.
its use is intended for programmers, and could also see other uses.
I hope someday it will replace the AR for console based hacking, but the author says he's not interested in programming an AR-like engine for the cart, so someone else should do it if it ever gets done.
What do you say, zoinkity? Very Happy

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You linked to a page requiring a login?

Oh well, I looked on google and found a lot of people asking about christmas so Im guessing its nearly done.

I found that his? early attempt was actualy using a 4MB flash chip but if these card things are 'transparent' then they are better than the device required to code the chip then Smile

Trev

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't aware that particular area of these boards required login to see. I'm logged, so it's all available for me. Don't be so outraged by a simple error, plus there are other links with the same info in the initial posts (they are there for something)

anyway, these "early attempts", as you call them, are just the development stages of the thing.
He used 4mb flash because that's what's available in the dev board for the FPGA he used for intial developemtn, but on the final design there are 64mb of SDRAM (I would have preferred 96 or 128, in prevision of rom expanding hacks, for example... but well...)

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Outraged? who's outraged? Smile

Anyway, yeah, it would be better with a bigger capacity.
The biggest game around is 64Meg though isnt it? (withought hacks)

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: