ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

N64 flashcarts roundup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EternallyAries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow 199$.

To much for me and i really wanted that cart lol.

Oh well so it work with every game but 2 what are the 2 games that dont work?

And it work with memery cards? Now thats a dream come true lol since you probly use up all the memery so fast on it.

Well i hope that the price will drop one day.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The 2 non working games are Banjo Tooie and Jet Force Gemini.
But actually they do work, it's a bit complicated to explain.
The N64 uses a "security" scheme based on special CIC chips present in the GamePaks that communicate with the console to make some checks and decide to allow or not the console to boot the game.

Unlike with the NES and SNES where there was just one CIC, in the N64 there were 5 variants released.
6102, 6101, 6103, 6105 and 6106
and their PAL counterparts
7101, 7102, 7103, 7105 and 7106
(7101 and 6102 are equivalent, and so are 6101 and 7102)

Each game is specially "coded" for one of these chips and it won't pass the security checks if you use another one (unless you recalculate this "code" with available tools, or use boot emulation to trick a game into accepting a different CIC)

MOST games use a 6102/7101 CIC, which is considered the standar chip
games using this chip include mario 64, goldeneye... all third party games...

The other ones are -I think- only used by 1st/2nd party games published by nintendo themselves (basically nintendo and rare games)

The security in all the CICs is based in checksumming certain parts of the cartridge, and for each CIC the checksum is different.

But the 7105/6105 is a bit different, it has extra crap and some games use it to harden the "protection".

PD does take advantage of the extra X105 security, but it can be defeated easily. But the two aforementioned games are not that easy.
in the case of one of them (can't remember which), you need to patch the rom itself to crack the security if you want to use a different CIC, but the other one isn't cracked at all.

The bottomline here is that you need a X105 CIC chip installed inside the 64drive if you want to be able to play all games including those with extra security.

marshallh, the maker of this, has just told me that he's looking into prices of games to cannibalize for cart case and CIC chip, but that X105's are probably going to add a few bucks to the final price.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Stupid question, but has anyone ever dumped the contents of a CIC chip?
After all, an alternate solution would be a flashable CIC.

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

actually, that's being done now.
a fund was recenlty raised in order to send CIC 6102 6105 and the ntsc PIF for decapping and dumping.
work is underway.

http://retroactive.be/cic/

Jedi QuestMaster
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So, I've been considering buying an N64 flashcart, due to certain games I want to play, & also, & who could forget, & quite possibly...

& I've been eying this 64 Drive for sometime, but it's been over a year, & I still wonder if it's the best choice out there.

The $199 price tag is pretty hefty, but I'm willing to save up for one (on a big budget right now).

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Sin and Punishment translation isn't a ROM hack, so it can't be applied to a ROM.

badair
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So all those ROMs I have sitting around, patched and otherwise, will run on 64Drive? Dang... I'd rather have that than an xbox 360. No lie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: