ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Gameshark to PC,OS of choice; Win98SE/XP/7?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KnitePhox
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Gameshark to PC,OS of choice; Win98SE/XP/7? Reply with quote Back to top

First things first, I have lots of respect for this community(from a Super Smash Bros. 64 player) and I think all the mods for GE64 and PD64 are great(on Mupen/PJ64 anyway). I've been lurking here and on the other GE64 related sites for several years now (since like 08 or 09?) and I can't appreciate all the released software and technical content enough. Thanks much to all those involved in development and testing as well as those that keep stuff like this alive, you are all AWESOME.

I have old PC hardware that will support Windows 98SE(98 Second Edition)/XP/7 all of which I have access of installation for and intend on having a system to interact with a Gameshark(as well as potentially other unseen uses), as the available motherboard has a working parallel port onboard. My goal is to try the console versions of these awesome mods as well as testing more codes for Super Smash Bros. 64 but not spend weeks using the D-pad with my LED-less Gameshark 3.3 to test codes.

Which OS is the superior choice for code management/overall use in conjunction with a (LED WORKING) Gameshark 3.2? (as to upgrade/flash it to 3.3 AND upload/download codes/codelists to and from both peices of hardware)

I've read through many pages of this forum, amongst others, and I am unsure wether I should use one OS or the other and would like an opinion of someone who is more informed than I on the subject, thanks again.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome! You'll want 98, anything beyond that and it really screws with parallel ports.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Win98 has unrestricted GS support. Win2k and later don't just require running through a driver but also limit and interrupt multi-kilobyte transfers. You have stupid virus programmers to blame for that nerf-stick; they just had to find a flaw in the port protocall. It also doesn't get pokey about running 16bit programs designed to use port access. It's also incredibly lightweight.

If you're thinking of going 98, be sure to check out the kernel extension, revolutions pack, and other nifty add-ons here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/91-windows-9x-member-projects/

Can't stress the kernel extension hard enough. It's really handy and lets you run a lot of programs that normally wouldn't be compatible with win98. There's also compatability lists and the people there are generally helpful.

If you're into programming there's also some neat open-source stuff outlining all the GS comm codes, including memory access while in the GS menus, how to upload or download your own BIOS, and other miscellaneous goodies.

Both my GSes are 3.2s converted to 3.3s. Also, many of my games have been dumped by GS. It's so handy it's silly.

KnitePhox
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

could not have asked for a better response, thanks x100,000,000

UPDATE: successfully upgraded to 3.3...pc connection was instant and didn't hang like with my parallel to usb/win7; it was so...refreshing.

now for some code upload goodness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: