ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

VIDEO TUTORIALS!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: VIDEO TUTORIALS! Reply with quote Back to top

UPDATED ALL UP

Alright so ive done some video tutorials to help people create maps from scratch.

availible in HD
PART - 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Jzp7dc2Ak
PART - 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcyjmOohB8s
PART - 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDV9n605Xh4
PART - 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIStGMzQFjg

I will update these as they become availible over the next day or so. 1gb vid files, taking like 5 hours to upload and convert

So what the tutorials consist of is:

getting a hammer map into XSI
picking out textures
textureing and optimizing
making multiple rooms
Getting our OBJ into GEsetupEd
Basic required map stuff - Setting scale, adding clipping, portals, lighting ect.
Secondary indeces stuff to get see through railings[url][/url]

Last edited by TimEh on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:30 am; edited 2 times in total

monkeyface

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great great great. Exactly what I hoped for. Also, you learn something new everyday. Had no idea that if you put the original texture offset in the texture.txt file, you could use the same textures... Looking forward to seeing the other ones when they're uploaded.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent!
I look forward to watching these tutorial videos, once they're all uploaded. It said I needed the newest version of Flash player in order to watch it, but it may just be the computer I'm currently on. Either way, I hope your efforts help those in need. A well detailed, instructional video series may get a few more people into the GE modding scene. It's not an easy thing to jump into, especially for those with no prior knowledge. This could be the confidence boost needed for them to start building. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

monkeyface

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

And you learn even more! I didn't know you could export clipping tiles like that, I always did it in the editor...
The secondary indicies part is a little confusing, I wonder if this process could be automated, like doing it in the editor instead of doing it in a hex editor? Oh well, this will do for now, I'll re-watch that part to see if I understand it better next time.

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

glad you guys are getting something from this. Ya the indeces file need a writen explanation.

So you have to look at the indeces files like this:

Code:
//////////////////////////
//Vertex Index File Format
//////////////////////////

Loads 0x8 per command

CC II II II II II II II
|   \________________/
|->command   |-> Info   

Since they are 0x8, it is very easy to read the commands

here are the commands youll need to know to get the effect in the video

C0 - Set texture
04 - Gathers next list of vertices to use
B1 - Builds tris using the list of vertices and all commands used before such as texture and other stuff
B6 - Is used for the Black transparency and other effects based on its value

Code:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
//C0 - Sets the texture for the following tri builds based on its preset number
//

C0 08 00 02 00 00 ** **
                  \__/
                    |->Texture Preset goes here

So the beggining of our secondary indeces file for a see through object we will need an E7, B9, and FC.

E7 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
B9 00 03 1D 0C 18 49 D8
FC 26 A0 04 1F 10 93 FF

Then we follow with the alpha command

B6 00 00 00 00 00 30 00

there are many different types of effects. this really isnt even correct. this still blurs the edges. didnt realize that till after. looking through the orig levels with help you find the differnt commands for different effects

Then we tell what texture to use when drawing the tris

C0 08 00 02 00 00 02 09 *0209 is the rail texture

the rest draws the tris and applies the commands used above

04 F0 01 00 0E 00 00 00 *gathers vertices
B1 00 45 52 73 36 43 10 *makes some tris
B1 00 FA B7 ED C9 A9 83 * makes more tris
04 E0 00 F0 0E 00 01 00 *gets a new list of vertices
B1 00 04 52 00 63 43 10 * repeats the process
B1 00 CD 89 EB CB A7 87
04 E0 00 F0 0E 00 01 F0
B1 00 06 12 00 54 30 10
B1 00 E9 A6 DC B8 98 47...

And they all end with a B8 usually padded with an extra 00

B8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

//////////Cut and paste part////////////////////

Now we know every 04/B1 combo that follows a C0 will build tris using that texture. And will continue to do so untill another C0 is used. So we can just cut that chunk out and transfer it to the other, knowing thats the info to build our railing

hope that makes sence and doent confuse people even more.

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

and ya the process could be automated. the way id see it work is in room positions, right click a tri and select 'convert textured tris to 2ndary'. It would just make sence and be a heck of a lot easier to convert all the tris using the texture(pretty much an automated cut and past method). Another reason by texture would be because it would be a pain in the ass to recalculate the 04/B1's if we change from primary to 2ndary one by one

that part i couldnt see being that hard to implement. Its the addition of certain effects that i would be being troublesome. And there are still many of the commands in the indeces file that are unkown(i could see zoinkity pulling out a well documented file out of his magic hat on this subject after i say this)

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very great. I waited for Viedeo Tutorials. Thanks TimEh.
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

im going to have to wait years tobe able to do this; my computer is too slow and i am not intellegent enough to do this.
im sorry

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WEll I to. I only want more info´s about converting obj files into ge files and clipping. but it is good that this tutorias- sorry viedeo tuorials was made
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great tutorial vids, TimEh! Very informative! Very Happy

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is utterly fantastic. Many, many thanks!!! We've been needing this for a while!!!!!! Adding an article for absolute sure on vault with this.

A couple areas I see for myself to try and assist in the future:
Brush stroke element for lighting (as monkeyface has long requested)
Some way of doing secondary indice files non-manually (I thought I have a way, need to confirm)

I learned a lot as well, and you have cleverly exploited some of the editor features such as import level if already added textures to get old GE textures (NOTE: this only works if 100% of textures are reused, otherwise you need file, just bmp names, one per line)!!! Like join two clipping tiles to portal, import clipping, lighting. I laughed about Stan Convert and Redo Clipping Wink What you said is absolutely true though, it tries to fix clipping, stairs are messy though. It would be valuable to show at some point how to add a level with all new textures instead too.

Can you please email me the tutorial files! I'd love to do a couple things:
A) Include with tutorial help page on site going along with your videos to help
B) Find a way to do secondary headers, see if g primary g secondary can work even if need to add manually
C) See why rooms are not aligning exactly (see if it's editor, I thought I fixed it)
D) Fix clipping import with rooms...it's supposed to work.

Great!!!!

Btw - There's also in clipping mode "Try and force clipping to room" which tries to auto-assign room #s (might speed it up, if it works...)

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, subdrag, in compound i had an extra texture that wasn't in the GE ROM originally (the two squares with a line through them "poster" that appears on the outside).
What i did was use "add color image to ROM" in image tools, get the preset, and added that before the texture in the textures.txt file, then imported like TimEh did here.
Of course, the game freezes if you don't have a texture for that preset in the ROM, but i thought it worked fairly well.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's true, and also clever. Good point. Usually most people I thought made all new textures, but sounds like not true.

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

correction. B6 00 00 00 00 00 30 00 dosnt make the see thru

i think its just the B9 00 03 1D 0C 18 49 D8

that B6 is always used with it though... weird

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Though I'm not totally certain, and can't check where I currently am, but I think the "B6 00 00 00 00 00 30 00" line makes the texture double-sided. Rather than being drawn from a single side, you can see it from front and back. I'm pretty sure that's what I used to test a theory that DB and I had regarding glass as a primary texture. It made the texture visible from both sides, though my efforts couldn't get it to go transparent. I didn't have much time for testing either, unfortunately. They usually, from what I've seen, use another "B6" command after the drawing is complete. It has a "06" in it, though I don't recall the exact line.

I prefer using the real GE textures, rather than custom versions. The quality is much better and there is less work involved. Obviously, when you use new images, you'd need to import them. Entropy Soldier's method is excellent for utilizing both original and new textures. Quite clever, indeed.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: