ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Who's creating the music?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elmanmasraro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Who's creating the music? Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone has worried about the levels and models, but what about the music (MIDI)? I want to contribute to this mod by creating some MIDI files that can be used in the game.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

you can import midis with the last version of the editor.
of course, you'll be using the original samples as these can't be replaced yet.

elmanmasraro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WTF they can't be replaced yet? Damn.

What about overwriting them? I mean, not removing the original and place another, but rather placing a new one OVER the original? SubDrag should probably know.

Is there anyone else who wants to contribute to the music?

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

many n64 games, specially the first generations, use some structures for storing sound samples called soundbanks. early games use some form of adpcm audio to encode the samples stored in them, i think.
nobody has been able to either construct new soundbanks or encode audio in that specific adpcm codec.
there are some very old tools that can find these soundbanks inside of ROMs, but they are only able to decode them to a certain extent and not in all cases.
no overwriting or adding to them for now, sorry man.
believe me that we would love to add, for example, some new sound effects, apart from samples for music, but I think nobody has the knowhow yet.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll be working working on some new MIDI's - but this will take place once I've worked out all the instruments in the ROM.

As the instruments are not in the same order as GM, this results in all the instruments being wrong. SubDrag has made a converter that converts an imported MIDI to have "the right" instruments - but the only thing holding this back is working out all the instrument sounds in the GE ROM.

I have worked out the majority, but there are still a few issues with certain instruments that need to be ironed out (for example, some instruments don't seem to want to play - like the bass sounds.)

By the way, imported MIDI's won't have reverb either. Fingers crossed we can get that working! Wink

Hopefully, great sounding MIDI's in GE will be happening within the next few weeks. Very Happy

monkeyface

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, as you can see, it's in good hands. If you still want to contribute with .midi music, PM me or post some stuff here.

elmanmasraro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What software are you using to make the MIDIs? Where can you get the instruments used in Goldeneye (so we can keep the "Goldeneye feel" if you get me)?

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

elmanmasraro wrote:
What software are you using to make the MIDIs? Where can you get the instruments used in Goldeneye (so we can keep the "Goldeneye feel" if you get me)?

I was thinkig about that when the midi functionality was announced. it would be great if someone would make a GE soundfont for proper editing at the PC side.

Here you have all the tools I know of to extract/decode soundbanks http://www.filedropper.com/soundbanktools. Fiddle with them.
some enable you to extract wave files for the samples found. Note that the tool will allow you to specify a samplerate that will be applied to all of them, but not all of the samples are made to be played at the same speed. Some may be 11000, some 8000, some 22000 or 22050, some 32000.

elmanmasraro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
elmanmasraro wrote:

I was thinkig about that when the midi functionality was announced. it would be great if someone would make a GE soundfont for proper editing at the PC side.

Here you have all the tools I know of to extract/decode soundbanks http://www.filedropper.com/soundbanktools. Fiddle with them.
some enable you to extract wave files for the samples found. Note that the tool will allow you to specify a samplerate that will be applied to all of them, but not all of the samples are made to be played at the same speed. Some may be 11000, some 8000, some 22000 or 22050, some 32000.

Yes but what about creating the MIDI, composing it? Something like FL Studio but with the instruments used in Goldeneye. Yes, the soundbanks but how do I use them to make a new MIDI?

monkeyface

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Create a .midi or or use FL to generate an .mp3, at this state it really doesn't matter since the import is not completely accurate. Just create a song with the Goldfinger themes in mind, do the cold synthesizers of Goldeneye but also picture Sean Connery, smiling, standing by the pool sipping on a drink.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don't mix up the concepts of sounBANK and soundFONT.
Sounbank is the N64 thing, SoundFont is for MIDI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundFont
Basically it's a file that contains a collection of samples mapped for MIDI use.

I don't know how to make midi or soundfonts, so that's why I provide the tools to extract the samples from GE so you or someone else can try to make a soundfont out of them.

I guess that the easiest and most accurate way of doing this would be to decode GE's music score files to MIDI using the same mapping that will be later used to import them. With these midis, you would try to map the different samples to a soundfont until the MIDIs sound in your computer the same way they sound in GE.

elmanmasraro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

monkeyface wrote:
Create a .midi or or use FL to generate an .mp3, at this state it really doesn't matter since the import is not completely accurate. Just create a song with the Goldfinger themes in mind, do the cold synthesizers of Goldeneye but also picture Sean Connery, smiling, standing by the pool sipping on a drink.

That's what I'm doing right now. It will take time, though. And since I'm leaving my house for vacations for about a week, don't expect anything (from me at least) on the following week.

Hey, BTW, how can I upload something here, so you can like, download it?

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everybody.

If anyone can get this to work you can use this.

I have tried replacing the gm.dls in windows\system32\drivers but I just get silence.

I created it using MS Direct Music Producer. When in this programm it can use the 'soundfont' but it is a quick and therefor poorly made one. It does give a jist of the GE instrument.

It uses the Instrument number located in the filename of the extracted instruments sound files. (A00[instrumentNumber - eg 01][subNumber - eg 00].wav)

I will continue to get this working though.

Trev

P.S. err, oops, here it is http://86.27.100.180/goldeneye.dls
Also I was listening to the midi's and weel I personaly am not too fond of then... At this present time I am listening to the OST from Goldfinger. As GoldenEye had some resembelance to its OST I would suggest the same thing for Goldfinger. Ill come back later once Ive listend to Goldfinger to say what I think of it.

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is8Ha7_KEfg

I thought the main portion of this song would be good for harbor (remixed into GE style, of course)

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hmm, from Russia with love ehh.

Its good but you can hear in the "main" bit that it is an instrumental version of the lyrics "From Russia (-) with Love, I come (-) to you(oo)"

Trev

P.S. I did listen to the OST and think its good. I now understand where a certian background tune comes from in the midi's however I still say if your going to do the (can't explain/describe) b ond bit then do the whole bond bit not half then like change a key or something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: