ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Just Built a Map, What Next?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Just Built a Map, What Next? Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I'm new here, I've been reading and watching alot of tutorials on Building levels, I've downloaded Hammer, GE Setup, XSI, and many others for building a new level, I just finished building my map in hammer, but what do I do next? I textured it completely, (not sure if I'm supposed to wait or not but doesn't matter)

I've been reading stuff about building separate rooms but I'm not sure how to do this or what exactly to do.

Also, this will be a complete indoor level with no windows but will have doors that go to outside (one door and two garage doors) Am I supposed to put a wall over the spot that goes outside and texture it as NULL or just leaving a whole there and putting a door in GE Setup Editor good enough.

Any help with the next step would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for holding my hand through this. lol. Wink

Like I say, I'm done with my level, fully textured, Has about 10 rooms whats next? Thanks again

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So the next one what you should do is to import your level into the GoldenEye Setup Editor. ( it´s for sure an obj. and a mtl. file )

There is a Tutorial in GE:V.com where you can learn how to import a obj file into a GE file. If you have problems to import, send E-Mails to SubDrag, Dragonsbrethen or other Hacker/Editor. If you wan´t i cac help you.

So if this was done and your level looks good in Editor, you have to insert some objects like doors, computers, consoles, chair , and so on.

And for sure you make guards Smile

Then you have to edit some stuff like Action Blocks and Ubriefsetup.bin.
In the Action Block window you can make the commands, for example, When a Alarm was activated, guards running to you and kill you, or if you go to an objects and press enter, level will end.

In the text editor you can set what "description" you want.
For example :

Objective A : Go out of building room
Objective B : Find vehicle to escape#

But i think you know the most of those thinks.

ABTW : Welcome hear. Great that you made/make new Levels.
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First consult the video tutorials here:

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=177

You can skip the XSI step if your finding it difficult and divide the rooms in hammer, but be warned that this will reduce framerate (though on maps where you can only see a few rooms at a time it shouldn't matter).

For creating "rooms" you want to basically split your hammer map up into segments (which usually are actual rooms in the traditional sense). You want o do this in a way that the entrance to a room can be seen from the least amount of rooms possible when the map is compiled.

The video tutorials should cover everything else (they cover this too, but i thought you might want some clarification as on how to do it without XSI)

IF all else fails, I'm in the chat (link on the top of the site) most of the day, so feel free to contact me there.

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm really enjoying being able to do this kinda stuff,

I did watch TimEh's video on how to make levels, I did get stuck at one part where he tries to export out of hammer and into XSI. Basically when I Import my Level to XSI it looks like it loads but theres no level anywhere in site. I even scroll back and forward on all 4 grids but I don't see it. So I must be exporting wrong.

If XSI isn't important I can probably skip that right and do all my clipping in Hammer? I guess what I should do next is Cut each room out individually and export out as a room, Makes sense. Is there a Good or Bad way to do this,

My Building has a reception room, Hallways, Two Restrooms, A main CPU Room, Two small Offices, A server room, and probably throw in a scientist working room. Kinda hard to explain all of it but thats what I got. Now also Do I have to block the entrances to each room and apply a Null Texture to it?

Thanks for all the help, After all this, The fun will begin. Very Happy

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes the viedeo Tutorials are great. Lol i forget them. I am working with DelEd.

But great that you make new levels. We are very interesting.

Maybe you but some pictures hear in ???

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yep, split up the rooms, cover each entrance with a null texture and then compile them.

Anyway, if i have this right, your map shouldn't need XSI optimization (as long as your splitting it up into a good amount of rooms) because your not seeing too much at once.

if, for instance, you wanted to make an outdoor map where you can see a lot of geometry at once, that's when XSI will make a big difference, as it can cut the poly count by more than 50%. I'd have to see the map to approximate how much XSI will help, but assuming the outdoor area isn't too big, it shouldn't be much of a problem to have a bunch of extra tri's.

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

alright sweet, Just two more questions and I should be ready to compile these rooms,

I was reading one of the stickies on this forum and was looking at this paragraph:

Quote:
Compiling for Goldeneye:
When you're ready to compile do the following:

Click Run, then click on Expert from the menu that pops up, make three new commands:

1. Command: $csg_exe, Parameter: "$bspdir\$file" -wadinclude GE.wad
2. Command: $bsp_exe, Parameter: "$bspdir\$file"

Click Go and it should compile.

He says Make 3 new commands? Whats the 3rd?

And when he says BSPDIR\$file, is that supposed to point to a certain directory?

thanks

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can you make it with only 2 commands ?

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Compiling for Goldeneye:
When you're ready to compile do the following:

Click Run, then click on Expert from the menu that pops up, make three new commands:

1. Command: $csg_exe, Parameter: "$bspdir\$file" -wadinclude GE.wad
2. Command: $bsp_exe, Parameter: "$bspdir\$file"

Click Go and it should compile.

im pretty sure as long as you add the bsp and vis exe's to the build properties tab in the config, and run the normal settings for compile like compiling for halflife, then there should be no problems. dont compile with rad though

Quote:
I did watch TimEh's video on how to make levels, I did get stuck at one part where he tries to export out of hammer and into XSI. Basically when I Import my Level to XSI it looks like it loads but theres no level anywhere in site. I even scroll back and forward on all 4 grids but I don't see it. So I must be exporting wrong.

mabey you did something wrong. but chances are you really need to zoom out. by alot. the small grid they give you to start should not even be visible by the time you zoom out that far

hoooowhaatt!!! yeeeeeaaaahh!!. srry. couldnt resist the dave chappelle avatar

[/quote]

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I zoomed out as far as I could but didn't see anything. No big deal though. I'm gonna try what you say about compiling pretty soon, I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, Now with the Commands that you add to the compiling process, You said I have to add bsp exe and vis exe. Now are these extra files I have to download. I take it when you add the command bsp.exe, you add a parameter meaning the location of where this file is correct? such as "c:/program files/valve hammer editor" etc...

Am I correct with that statement.
I'm just a little confused with this though.

"$bspdir\$file"

I take it this means the location of the file right?

-wadinclude GE.wad

and that GE.wad should be in the same directory as csg_exe?

I'm currently splitting my rooms up. so as soon as I figure out this compile process I should be good to import into Ge setup editor.

thanks again

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, Now I kinda get that the zoners half life tools I'm supposed to add to the expert compile process, however, I'm getting an Invalid Argument, Can someone tell me how exactly is it supposed to look in the parameter window? Heres what i have now for each

Command
$csg_exe

Parameter
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\Config\zhlt\zhlt34x86final\hlcsg.exe -wadinclude GE.wad

Command
$bsp_exe

Parameter
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\Config\zhlt\zhlt34x86final\hlbsp.exe

Command
$vis_exe

Parameter
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\Config\zhlt\zhlt34x86final\hlvis.exe

And am I supposed to add the Rad.exe?

Also Forgot to ask,
When I cut my rooms up,
Say I have one room with two doors opposite each other,
Now the room on the other side of the door shares the same wall as this room right, So when I go to export my next room, Should I keep the same wall as the last room or should I Just put another wall up with a null texture, I hope you can understand what Im asking here.

if not let me know thanks

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

read this if you haven't already:

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=2634

Its for one room though, so it doesn't cover splitting them up.

Anyway, to split rooms up that "share" a wall without using XSI, split the rooms up, allow any walls that are shared to stay with both rooms. When they are split up, open each respective file, and click the apply texture manually tool (cube with green, blue, and brown sides), change the mode from lift and select to apply texture, and basically, you want to apply the null texture to all the sides that are not going to be seen, plus the sides that are in the other room. You want the side of the doorway that meets up with that wall to only be null textured in one room, and not the other (more or less one side should be textured for one room, and the other side for the other room, plus the doorway). Make sure that the room with the non-null textured doorway also has the floor,opposite wall, and ceiling occupying the entire doorway, to help portaling later on. (so that a single rectangle could be drawn in the doorway and completely separate both rooms)

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

you dont need zoners, although people like it better. useing the vis/bsp/rad that come with the hammer editor will work. then just run in normal compile, not advanced. Sounds like your making this more difficult than it should be.

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wouldn't the whole map run slowly if I only kept it one room rather then breaking them up into zones.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: