ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Just Built a Map, What Next?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

XD he was talking about "zoners half life compilation tools"

Basicly its a compiler procedure, that converts the map from rmf into bsp.

You definitively want to split up into rooms, especially if this is a solo mission.

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oh lol, I got ya. So just ignore those 3 added commands and just click run like I would normally?

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

if you have zoners, uncheck everything but the three added commands.

I use zoners, so i wouldn't know, but i guess if you don't have it, running normally should work.

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is it supposed to look like this when you add it since I keep getting an

INVALID ARGUMENT

The directory points to the tools, Might look different then what you got though.

Command
$csg_exe

Parameter
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\Config\zhlt\zhlt34x86final\hlcsg.exe -wadinclude GE.wad

Command
$bsp_exe

Parameter
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\Config\zhlt\zhlt34x86final\hlbsp.exe

Command
$vis_exe

Parameter
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\Config\zhlt\zhlt34x86final\hlvis.exe

Let me know if this is correct. thanks

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

nevermind, now i got it to work. I think.

When it compiles am I supposed to get a .bsp file or a .map file?

I'm only getting a .map file?

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

if all worked well, the bsp should be placed in the folder specified in the options/build programs tab/placed compiled maps in this directory...

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

whats the biggest I should make a room?
Is there any unwritten rule for this? such as a door divides into two rooms.

Like anytime you step through a door your going into a new room?

I know I make a few small rooms for stuff so I'm kinda curious if I can save time and not compile the small rooms individually.

How are levels like Surface cut up? Is it one big room or is it cut up?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dividing at doors is a good idea. Also, if you have a corridor with a bend it in, you should divide at that bend so that the rooms that cannot be seen around it aren't loaded. Surface is divided into rooms, they're just a bit larger than normal. One thing to avoid that Surface does is "island rooms." This is where you have one room entirely surrounded by another, doing so causes an issue with bullet clipping.

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

okay thats a pretty good idea and thats kinda what i've been doing so far.

so say I have a bend in the corridor. once I get closer to that room will the rest of the corridor load when I get close enough to it? is that kinda how it works?

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I know I make a few small rooms for stuff so I'm kinda curious if I can save time and not compile the small rooms individually

though many different ways to do rooms. id just compile the full hammer level as one bsp. Then get that into xsi and create the rooms from there. Much easier, and will save you some time[/quote]

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

theirresistibleforce wrote:
okay thats a pretty good idea and thats kinda what i've been doing so far.

so say I have a bend in the corridor. once I get closer to that room will the rest of the corridor load when I get close enough to it? is that kinda how it works?

Yeah, pretty much. If you turn on wireframe mode in an emulator and walk around the levels, you can see when rooms are loaded.

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay two things, My parameters aren't right for compiling. I'm getting some sorta goofy errors, Can someone tell me what they used for a parameter? I know it might be different but if I see the format you guys write it in then I'll have an idea how to compile this correctly, my output directory was not set so I set it now.

second question.
I have decided that my first map was not built the right way and decided to scrap it. I can rebuild it later but now I'm planning on a new level.

its gonna be kinda like bunker 2. starting in prison and 2 guys helping you get out. I got a few ideas with this. what I would like to know is how to make the prison bars and doors. do I simply put up a wall and find the prison bar texture and apply it? And is the door from bunker with the prison bars in goldeneye setup editor for me to use? Let me know, I think this will be a pretty sweet thing to try.

Also, do you have to do anything special to get the black around the prison bars to key out. or does the game do that automatically? Same with the railings going down stairs? Does the black key itself out in the game or do you have to do something before it will key out?

Thanks

edit: forgot to ask, if you build the prison walls in hammer, whats the texture number you apply to it? I've been looking and come to a few that look like they could be it but not really sure. Also, whats the texture number for water? or how do you build water? like in tims island level or dam? its a little different then water you see in the toilet right? or exactly the same?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay two things, My parameters aren't right for compiling. I'm getting some sorta goofy errors, Can someone tell me what they used for a parameter? I know it might be different but if I see the format you guys write it in then I'll have an idea how to compile this correctly, my output directory was not set so I set it now.

My parameters are in this topic.

its gonna be kinda like bunker 2. starting in prison and 2 guys helping you get out. I got a few ideas with this. what I would like to know is how to make the prison bars and doors. do I simply put up a wall and find the prison bar texture and apply it? And is the door from bunker with the prison bars in goldeneye setup editor for me to use? Let me know, I think this will be a pretty sweet thing to try.

Also, do you have to do anything special to get the black around the prison bars to key out. or does the game do that automatically? Same with the railings going down stairs? Does the black key itself out in the game or do you have to do something before it will key out?

Thanks

You need to make them into secondary indices and then change a few bytes in their header to make the game draw parts of them transparent. I'd wait on this for a while, since TimEh was working on getting secondary creation implemented into the setup editor.

edit: forgot to ask, if you build the prison walls in hammer, whats the texture number you apply to it? I've been looking and come to a few that look like they could be it but not really sure. Also, whats the texture number for water? or how do you build water? like in tims island level or dam? its a little different then water you see in the toilet right? or exactly the same?

The easiest way to find this out is to load a stage that uses the texture you want (Bunker ii has both bars and water, so it's a good choice). Go into the visual editor and switch to room positions mode. Hit Ctrl + H so you don't accidentally move the rooms around, and click on a tri that uses the texture you want. Look down at the bottom and you should see a P with a four digit value after it; this is the preset number of that texture. From there you can find it in the image tools.

The Hammer wad, unfortunately, is a bit of a mess and textures aren't organized the same way they are in the ROM. What I would suggest is to not waste your time finding that specific texture if you're having trouble, instead use one that is "good enough" for now, and when you import your map to GE, use the texture preset you found via the visual editor. If you're using existing GE textures rather than importing custom ones, it really doesn't matter, so long as your textures are the same size (otherwise your UV coords will be off).

theirresistibleforce
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

cool, figured out a lot so far. I'm trying to add an entity info_player_start, but when I click to add the entity, its not an option anywhere, I right click on the entity and choose create object but its still not in the group of entities anywhere? How do I add a start point? its required for compiling right? Thanks

Edit, Alright, Now I got the info_player_start option, How to I actually add the entity though? when i right click on it and choose create object the info player start option goes away?

I'm done creating all my rooms, pulled an all nighter last night. it looks pretty cool so far. Help me out so I can compile these and get working on them in ge setup editor. Thanks

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Instead of going Right-click -> Create Object, just press Enter/Return and your info_player_start entity will be created (it'll appear as a green square).

Although the entity is NOT required to compile, if you don't include it you might get bullet collision detection problems.

Hope this helps you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: