ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

XSI help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: XSI help Reply with quote Back to top

I downloaded XSI Mod Tool 7.5 and it won't let me export .obj files. Is there anyway around this?

I imported my .obj that I made using Hammer and Crafty and optimized it and textured it only to find out that I can't export it as a .obj file Crying or Very sad

It's very discouraging to say the least.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We should've been clear on this point. You wont be able to work your way around this, you need to find an earlier version of the mod tool. I suggest you export the into some weird XSI format that lets you reverse the version, or however you should explain it. It'll work for earlier versions of the mod tool. My version, that can export/import .obj files is 6.0

http://www.fileplanet.com/148790/140000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2---SOFTIMAGE|XSI-Mod-Tool-v6

As I downloaded my version a year ago, chances are that this wont work. But I can't know, as I haven't got the software from this link. If you download it, please tell if it works.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT: Downloaded, installed, and works! CAn someone put that link along with the video tutorials?

But since XSI wasn't working for me I tried just using Hammer and Crafty and I ran into some problems.

First, Hammer said the map wasn't being compiled correctly because no .prt file was created and the hlbsp was saying that there were no entities in hull 0, hull 1, hull 2 and whatever. So i just threw a start point entity into the middle of my map and that seemed to work.

But another problem is that when it supposedly didn't compile correctly crafty managed to open it and i could see it in all its wireframe glory, but it wasn't textured when set to view->textured. Should it be? Also, when Hammer said the map was compiled correctly Crafty didn't show anything at all.

One last thing, from what I understand at some point in the process Hammer or Crafty will make .bmp files of the textures i use, right? Or do I have to already have those and then convert them to a .wad?
Sorry for the long post, I didn't want to start a new topic.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Crafty now displays textures and a .tga file is created. And i didn't do anything different so I don't know how it was corrected.

I'll just resume following tutorials and experimenting and whatnot and post if something comes up.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I need help! I downloaded XSI Mod Tool 6.0 so I now have the capability to export .obj files. However I ran into another problem...the inability to import .obj files. Whenever I try to XSI says something about a fatal error and it crashes, this happens during the loading scene statistics process. I can't seem to figure out why its doing this.

I've followed timeh's tutorials exactly up to the part where he opens xsi and it doesn't work

I's just going to go back to editing levels until i can properly create levels

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

obj files are a funny format. probably the most supported 3d format throughout all the moddelers, but it seems that every program reads and writes these files a little differently. Blender obj's seems to be the most compatible with GEsetupED. Many GE obj's spit out from the GEsetupED in wont open in XSI but will open in Blender. but XSI can read blender obj's. so its a matter of opening the obj in blender, reexporting the obj, then opening in XSI(xsi can take a while to open large files, especialy silo. be patient). In the few situations where blender crashed opening a GE obj, crafty was able to open it and resave it. Ya its a pain to have to do but its only an extrra 30 sec includin openin programs.

hmmm... ya i use 6.0. i just figured that newer versions would have the obj imp/exp. And its retarded that they dropped it. There has to be a plugin or something for the new versions to support obj. ill put XSI 6.0 on the vid tutorials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: