ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[WIP] Multiplayer : Asylum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timothy1979
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: [WIP] Multiplayer : Asylum Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone ! I just started a map. in fact i'm going to recreate the whole Vauhallan Asylum (France), you can see photos here : http://glauqueland.free.fr/mosaique/mosaique.htm - The problem is that I'm french and I really have some troubles understanding how creating a map works. Nevertheless, I know how to put things on top of other things and I've been this far in less than 30 minutes :

I don't understand the whole "connect two rooms each other" thing, is it really a problem if I build the whole Asylum as a unique room (with stairs etc) ? The project would be for me to build the whole place like a Lego, and then, talented people could "do the rest" (sky, lighting, connecting rooms, clipping etc), but if I build the whole thing as a unique piece, will it be a pain in the ass for people to finish the job ? Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone if this can come to life one day ! Smile

Oh, also, a little question : I understand that a little "block" is 50 centimeters, am I correct ? 50 cm = 19.6 inches = 1.64 feet = 0.54 yards

Last edited by Timothy1979 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

although there are a few ways to split the rooms up for goldeneye. id suggest not worrying about it at this point. Just keep working on the level in hammer untill its finished. If you just play around with the GEsetupED a few times everytime you sit down to work on the map, im sure by the time your done youll have no problem to "do the rest" (sky, lighting, connecting rooms, clipping etc),

Quote:
Oh, also, a little question : I understand that a little "block" is 50 centimeters, am I correct ? 50 cm = 19.6 inches = 1.64 feet = 0.54 yards

looks about right, didnt do the math.

one thing about this is that when importing for GE every level has a scalar modifier. Which isnt a big concern since if your building your level to the 'cm', the level structure will be perfect. I guess all im trying to say is when you import it and it is either too big or smaller than you expected, all you gotta do is fiddle with the scale. Which is nice since most other games you would have to scale the actual geometry

Timothy1979
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
although there are a few ways to split the rooms up for goldeneye. id suggest not worrying about it at this point. Just keep working on the level in hammer untill its finished.

Great !!! Smile

Quote:
when you import it and it is either too big or smaller than you expected, all you gotta do is fiddle with the scale.

These are great news, thanks !

Timothy1979
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A question : Am I limited in the amount of "things" i put in the map ? I remember doing a Solo Mission in the Complex and Subdrag had to remove many things for the game to run smoothly. But what about the Multiplayer map I'm making ?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In multiplayer, it's even more important to avoid having too many objects than in solo. Not only can they slow the game down, they also commonly get in the way when playing. This is why the original game usually limited the objects loaded to doors, glass, weapons and ammo (of course), and a few explosive decorative objects. Basically, just what the stages needed to look good, nothing else.

Timothy1979
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
In multiplayer, it's even more important to avoid having too many objects than in solo. Not only can they slow the game down, they also commonly get in the way when playing

Ok ! Smile

I have another question : As I understand, a "block" is 50 cm wide (50x50x50). How can I make a wall who is supposed to be two times less wide ? A wall who is 25 cm wide, for example.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there's a bit of confusion there (which is my fault). The default grid in Hammer is 64x64 units, and radorn found that the original stage measurements use one unit as one centimeter. GoldenEye can scale its maps, as you might know. If you import a 64x64 block at 1.0 scale, then it will still be 64x64. If you play with the scaling, however, you can make it so that 64x64 is scaled down to 50x50. In order to do this, simply use Facility's scale: 1.2064800262

I often say/said that Facility was built around a 64x64 grid, but that's not really the case. What I should have said is that Facility is built on a power of two grid. This is the same grid size most model editors use; we really lucked out that Facility was also built on this grid, since most of the original stages weren't. For clarification, to import at Facility scale your doorways should be at least 128x256. The door will then be 100x200 centimeters when imported to GE. Maybe I'll put together a list of common measurements at this scale, I think it would really help others model their maps as closely to the originals as possible.

Sorry for all of that text. To answer your question, you can reduce or increase the grid size using the [ and ] keys.

Timothy1979
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Sorry for all of that text.

No problem, it's really useful.

Quote:
The door will then be 100x200 centimeters when imported to GE.

The size of the door doesn't really bothers me (there won't be any in my map since it's an abandonned place) but what bothers me is the space between where it starts, and where it ends. Like on this picture :

If a block is 50 cm wide, that means the bricks on the pictures would be 50 cm wide, thus, huge. A windows would be like this :

[Block start [0cm <-> 25cm [window] 26cm <-> 50cm] End of block]

Isn't a 50 cm wide window a bit strange ? (Even if there isn't any glass) In a castle, one can understand if a wall is 50cm thick, but in a building ?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You should use a smaller grid for smaller things. Work with 32x32 or 16x16 when modeling your windows; that should look a lot better. Also, as radorn said in his topic, the doors in GE (it also applies to some windows, like those in Archives) are wider than in the real world, to allow for easier movement through them.

Timothy1979
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
To answer your question, you can reduce or increase the grid size using the [ and ] keys. You should use a smaller grid for smaller things. Work with 32x32 or 16x16 when modeling your windows; that should look a lot better.

I didn't see that. Can you explain how it works ?

monkeyface

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alt Gr + 8/9 works for me.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Timothy1979 wrote:
I didn't see that. Can you explain how it works ?

Just hit those keys on your keyboard and see if the grid size changes. I didn't think about it before, but since you have a different keyboard layout, those keys might not work. If they don't, you can always hit the "smaller grid" and "larger grid" buttons on the toolbar (grid icon with a plus or minus sign).

Timothy1979
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It works ! Great. Very Happy

Timothy1979
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Progressing... It's difficult to see on the picture but the texture of the walls inside and outside are different.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: