ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Finally made a working map.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Finally made a working map. Reply with quote Back to top

So after following every tutorial a thousand times and evaluating every single step for errors I was probably doing and starting over a million times I successfully made my first working map Very Happy .

But I have one question regarding textures. How would I go about making walls like the ones in the archives with two colors or like the walls in this picture? Is it basically two different brushes or a certain texture?

EDIT: I might have spoke too soon. My level design loads but i have the ability to run everywhere. I can run past the walls and into oblivion. Also, its just two rooms that are connected and when i'm standing in the first room i can see the second room but when i enter the second room it disappears... Confused any possible explanations?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Archives' walls are just two different textures. Depot, on the other hand, uses the same texture but recolors the bottom portion of the walls to make it look like there are two textures used.

For your problems, check clipping first of all, there's probably an error there if you're able to leave the map. Also check your portal, since it sounds like it's not placed right. Auto-portal is usually the best option for doing portals, because they do have to be right on the room boundary to work perfectly.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I checked the clipping and the problem was the .obj I imported for clipping was one room so all the clipping was assigned to room 1. And i didn't think about auto portal so I'll do that, but what happens when auto portal doesn't quite get everything? How do I go about making the portals work?

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

From BMW on my compound topic:

Quote:

I have some advice for portaling - use the auto-portal feature, export that to a text file, and then you'll probably have to manually do some stuff - mainly, adjusting the vertical height.

You can find the exact position of where you want the corner of a portal to go by going to room position mode, right-clicking the tri where you want your portal corner to border, choosing modify tri points, and seeing exactly what the coordinates are for that tri. Then you can put those coordinates into your portal file and re-import the portal file.

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Finally made a working map. Reply with quote Back to top

Camaro wrote:
I might have spoke too soon. My level design loads but i have the ability to run everywhere. I can run past the walls and into oblivion. Also, its just two rooms that are connected and when i'm standing in the first room i can see the second room but when i enter the second room it disappears... Confused any possible explanations?

Maybe you are using the same clipping from the level you saved over?

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Last edited by HackBond on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think you are right HackBond. I think I was using elements from the level saved over because in the visual editor every now and then my view would get blocked, probably from some part from the old level. I recently made and imported a new map that doesn't have the same clipping problem as I had but I'm still having trouble getting the clipping to work right.

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Camaro wrote:
Also, its just two rooms that are connected and when i'm standing in the first room i can see the second room but when i enter the second room it disappears... any possible explanations?

This problem occurs because your clipping tiles are not assigned to the proper rooms.

Also, before you import your clipping file, import a file called "emptyclipping.bin" from the Clipping folder in the GE Editor directory. This'll delete all the clipping from the old level.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GERage wrote:
Camaro wrote:
Also, its just two rooms that are connected and when i'm standing in the first room i can see the second room but when i enter the second room it disappears... any possible explanations?

This problem occurs because your clipping tiles are not assigned to the proper rooms.

Also, before you import your clipping file, import a file called "emptyclipping.bin" from the Clipping folder in the GE Editor directory. This'll delete all the clipping from the old level.

In a future version of the editor, this should be an option when you right-click, "remove clipping". Hate looking for the emptyclipping.bin file, and I hate going to the GE root directory to choose it if I can't find my local copy... Hate is a strong word, I know, I know.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had no idea this was a desired feature. It's in latest beta if in clipping mode, right click not on tile and on bottom is Delete all tiles.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a way to import clipping from a .obj file that would properly assign the clipping to rooms or at least work properly? Because i think that would be really convienient.

Also, when I start up my level everything from the intro block works except for the starting gun and ammo for bond. anyone know what's going on?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, if you put g RoomXX in clipping files now it will import properly. It was fixed after TimEh's video so grab a recent editor.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Clipping in general is proving to be bothersome. Are there any tutorials or resources I can use to learn about the art of clipping?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're absolutely right, clipping is bothersome and needs a good tutorial.

HackBond

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Camaro wrote:
Clipping in general is proving to be bothersome. Are there any tutorials or resources I can use to learn about the art of clipping?

Use TimEh's Video Tuts Smile

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

But his tutorials use XSI and right now I can't get XSI to work so I need to know how to do clipping with the editor. I think a clipping tutorial would be great, how long should i expect it to take to get written and posted?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: